Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paxtana
    Secondary reduction housing does not have gasket on bbs02. If you want that kind of protection you have to go bbshd.
    I've never dealt with the 5 hole ones prior to the two that I just bought, so I wasn't certain if they were supposed to have the two seals on them or not, but the 7 hole version absolutely does have the two rubber seals I mentioned. I have 9 brand new ones right here in front of me. They all have a center seal that seals around the portion of the reduction gear that protrudes out through the plastic cover, the portion that the chain ring attaches to. They also each have a thin rubber seal/gasket all the way around the perimeter of the back side, where they mate to the motor. Both seals bonded to the plastic cover.

Comment

A few ? about Cyclone3K kit ; This kit i purchased from the very 1st Cyclone Kit batch Luna got , for the two(2) season i rided with it 1 word Awsmazing .
      About 2800Km beside a few chain drops and those chainline kwerks that was fixed with a Lunatick upgrade and of course more power that i can legally use except when no one is looking ;-) very satisfied with it .it delivers , Cyclone3K IS THE KIT to swap a bike/e-bike into a E-Motorbike Voila!
      Health issue got me out of the saddle until now , i did read a lot and pondered even more purchased a new chassis to finally create what i want as my very last bike or i should say an E-Cruiser so ....yes my question ;

-Controller-
      #1 ->I need a new more powerful controller that will randomly for short periods use all the 4KW { possibly 5Kw } this cyclone can put out ,Kelly, Sabvoton .... any other i did not find ? ,Luna Bac800 was looking good until i found it is locked to 1 single motor so it is a NOGO , to me buying a part that can not be swapped to another project is a very bad investment ; basically i need what can you Tech dud's suggest and why ? ** 21s battery pack btw
      -BMS-PWR Pack
      #2-> I have bought brand new 360 cell ( i know that is more that i really need ,but i have planned on some aux mini pwr packs ) "MOLICELL INR-21700-P42A" rated at 4200MAh/cell ( a few capacity test cycle showed more =D ) from a very reliable US Retailer . over the Km's i rided my bike CA showed me using an average 17-20Wh/Km with those in mind i know i need a PWR Pack that holds close to 5KWh to achieve more than 250 Km per charge cycle , i have two choices do : 21s17p or for less voltage sag do 2X 21s16p ( Parallel plug em in see ) This adds 1 BMS to cost , BUT!! it opens up possibility's in the advent that a pack has a malfunction i can unplug it and get home . I get more Temp sensors each BMS has 4 , Physically having two packs can also make it easier to have them removable quickly . BTW the BMS i'm looking at is the "ANT BMS 8-24s / 150-300A BT App " suggested by Vorteck on youtube
      So a single or double Pwr Pack ? Maybe i did not see other BMS that you know about that would work ,open to suggestion np .

And this is it ,thank you for your suggestions and any idea's i may not have thought of , Cheers

NB: Any one who's having question about Cyclone3K can ask me , if i can help out i will gladly share what i know and learned with that great bike upgrade =)
      Last edited by ColdRider; 03-08-2021, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdRider View Post
        A few ? about Cyclone3K kit ; This kit i purchased from the very 1st Cyclone Kit batch Luna got , for the two(2) season i rided with it 1 word Awsmazing .
        About 2800Km beside a few chain drops and those chainline kwerks that was fixed with a Lunatick upgrade and of course more power that i can legally use except when no one is looking ;-) very satisfied with it .it delivers , Cyclone3K IS THE KIT to swap a bike/e-bike into a E-Motorbike Voila!
        Health issue got me out of the saddle until now , i did read a lot and pondered even more purchased a new chassis to finally create what i want as my very last bike or i should say an E-Cruiser so ....yes my question ;

-Controller-
        #1 ->I need a new more powerful controller that will randomly for short periods use all the 4KW { possibly 5Kw } this cyclone can put out ,Kelly, Sabvoton .... any other i did not find ? ,Luna Bac800 was looking good until i found it is locked to 1 single motor so it is a NOGO , to me buying a part that can not be swapped to another project is a very bad investment ; basically i need what can you Tech dud's suggest and why ? ** 21s battery pack btw
        -BMS-PWR Pack
        #2-> I have bought brand new 360 cell ( i know that is more that i really need ,but i have planned on some aux mini pwr packs ) "MOLICELL INR-21700-P42A" rated at 4200MAh/cell ( a few capacity test cycle showed more =D ) from a very reliable US Retailer . over the Km's i rided my bike CA showed me using an average 17-20Wh/Km with those in mind i know i need a PWR Pack that holds close to 5KWh to achieve more than 250 Km per charge cycle , i have two choices do : 21s17p or for less voltage sag do 2X 21s16p ( Parallel plug em in see ) This adds 1 BMS to cost , BUT!! it opens up possibility's in the advent that a pack has a malfunction i can unplug it and get home . I get more Temp sensors each BMS has 4 , Physically having two packs can also make it easier to have them removable quickly . BTW the BMS i'm looking at is the "ANT BMS 8-24s / 150-300A BT App " suggested by Vorteck on youtube
        So a single or double Pwr Pack ? Maybe i did not see other BMS that you know about that would work ,open to suggestion np .

And this is it ,thank you for your suggestions and any idea's i may not have thought of , Cheers

NB: Any one who's having question about Cyclone3K can ask me , if i can help out i will gladly share what i know and learned with that great bike upgrade =)
        I'm considering something like this myself, though converted to run from 1 pound camping propane bottles. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000760460993.html

Comment

My cyclone 3000 controller has a short, where can i get the mosfett for this controller. Thx

Comment

Originally posted by Nulla View Post
            My cyclone 3000 controller has a short, where can i get the mosfett for this controller. Thx
            from past experience producing and reworking switch mode power supplies, if you have to replace a single mosfet, you need to replace them all. the one failed part will stress all the others to the point of failing early.

Comment

Originally posted by N2T View Post

from past experience producing and reworking switch mode power supplies, if you have to replace a single mosfet, you need to replace them all. the one failed part will stress all the others to the point of failing early.
              Ok thanks, I just decided to change my cyclone 3000 to BBSHD. I could not find the right mosfet and it seems that parts are more easily available with the BBSHD.

Comment

Originally posted by N2T View Post

I'm considering something like this myself, though converted to run from 1 pound camping propane bottles. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000760460993.html
                That is a great idea , what is the width ? i know i need 7" or so to fit the packs side to side that tank looks wider than that . i'm getting a 3D printer that will be handy to make a mold plug

Comment

LUNA fixed, the charger seems to stopped working, the green light is on but it is not charging the battery, wonder what could be wrong, is the connection a possible culprit or the charger.

Comment

• TK10K
                    TK10K commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Never mind, the problem is with the plug and the socket, after 2 years it has oxidized enough to prevent positive contact.

Luna BBSHD
                  52VDC - 14s8p - Model 3 NCR 21700 5000mAh
                  45A BMS
                  Egg Rider Display connected to iPhone via Bluetooth
                  Ludi V1 controller

Looking for info on an error code 0xFF - Protocol: Bafang - Message: Communication error between display and controller.

The symptoms are:

- egg boots up,
                  - motor has no throttle and no PAS
                  - no smell
                  - no precursor events (rode a few days prior, no problems, next weekend not working)

Diagnostics performed:

- pulled up display on iPhone to see error code ... error code 0xFF - Protocol: Bafang - Message: Communication error between display and controller.
                  - swapped egg for diagnostic dongle .... still B/O ... reinstalled original
                  - swapped throttle ... still B/O .. reinstalled original
                  - disconnected brake cutouts and gear shift cutout... .... still B/O ... reinstalled original
                  - swapped main harness cable (the one with multiple high connectors for display, brake cutout, gearshift, etc) ....still B/O .. reinstalled original
                  - swapped battery and BMS .... still B/O .. reinstalled original
                  - swapped out to stock controller ... All OK

Implied Findings:

- Fault in controller pigtail, or
                  - Fault on controller

I have readings from the Ludi V1 Controller’s two JST/SM connectors, but do not know if the stock controller reading are an apples to apples baseline to compare it to.

Any help or insight on this issue would be appreciated, particularly at the component and/or controller circuit level.

Comment

• paxtana
                    paxtana commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well like I said it's worth a shot to check the connectors. The crimper tools for those jst connectors are usually pretty good but not impossible for a wire to come back out. You can likely give each individual wire a firm tug and they shouldn't move.

The error you got on the eggrider is not one of the standard error codes from bafang https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ouble-shooting but I am assuming here they are denoting this as equivalent of error 30 for whatever reason instead of just calling it that. Sounds like a comm error anyway. So you have already followed most of the guidance on that. You could also try using a multimeter in continuity mode to check for a short across the phase wires. Most of the components are potted so it would be next to impossible to inspect them or repair them.
                    Last edited by paxtana; 03-17-2021, 01:55 PM.

• StvMan
                    StvMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the reply....I did not write down the continuity phase to phase but I did notice that I do not have the 5vdc control power at both SM/JST connectors (Red/Black on the 6pin and 4pin connectors)

• paxtana
                    paxtana commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sounds like that might explain the comm error then. It is probably trashed.

I have a Luna Eclipse BBSHD chain ring, 42T on front with a steel 8 speed cassette on the back. The aluminum chain ring does not last, so is there a steel chain ring that can replace it?

Comment

• 73Eldo
                    73Eldo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Just curious how many miles it took to wear it out or is the issue breaking teeth off?

• paxtana
                    paxtana commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The stock ring is steel.

The eclipse should not wear out that fast, if so I would check what kind of offset you got in each gear and see if it is too much for your particular frame, if so there are things you can do like rework the cassette, which is described in the knowledge base.

hi, does anyone advice me what is the problem with my bbs02 750w 14ah battery? some days ago started to give me no full power=low wats, max current about 10 amps. When usually it was more than 1000w and more than 20 amps. No error codes on the display. Same thing happens wit throtlle or PAS. Million thanks

Comment

• paxtana
                    paxtana commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, try replacing the core or the controller

• 100pies
                    100pies commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yessss paxtana I updated the controller and everything seems to be ok. Full power recovered.

• paxtana
                    paxtana commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Glad to hear it worked out

Can I get this measurement from a small X1.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rad-measurement.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.8 KB ID:	124499

Comment

I have Luna Wolf (clear) that came with my 2020 KHS 500 Ludicrous.

After a full charge when I give it even a little throttle I see the voltage instantly drop to 49ish and then it cuts out. After this happens it will not turn on no matter how long I wait. What to do??

The battery has been performing really well up until a couple weeks ago. Putting it on the charger for even a few seconds seems to reset it and it will turn on again but the above pattern repeats.

Some more history:
                    * I've had the bike for about 9 months. 408 miles on the ODO.
                    * I very rarely run it below 60%. Maybe twice since I've owned it.
                    * I almost always charge it to 80% then to 90% just before I ride it. Always at 1amp. I've used the 5 amp charge probably 3 times.
                    * Most all rides are about 3-4 mile round trip but I tend to use large throttle openings. I rarely hit 1250 watts but do hover around 900-1000 watts often.
                    * few weeks ago it started maxing out at low 56 volts even if I set the charger to 100% @1amp. I ran like this for probably a dozen ride/charge cycles and now just turns off with any throttle opening.
                    * I can run it on assist at 50ish watts and it won't cut out.
                    * I can put it on the charger for just a few seconds and it will power up again.

Thanks for the help. I LOVE this setup! (until today of course)

Comment

Hello! We have BBSHD kit on an Xtracycle Edgerunner with 20in rear wheel. How do I calibrate things to correctly register the rear wheel diameter? Feels like the speedometer thinks the bike is moving much faster than we really are.

Comment

• 73Eldo
                      73Eldo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That setting is usually under a advanced or 'more' menu in the display. Usually needs a code to get to those settings. Depends on who it came from what the code is but its usually 1's and 9's like 1919 1199 9119 sorts of things. Bafang seems to think everyone is running fat tires so you sometimes have to go smaller to get it right. I have never looked to see if there are options below 20".

That menu page is also where you can set PAS steps to 9 instead of the default 5. It doesn't change the min or max power just gives you more steps to control it. Many of us think that makes the control feel much better.

And awesome to see a twin cities member here. Let me know if you need any help or even if you just want to ride.

• danhooker
                      danhooker commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thank you both! I found a video about the 500c display we have and it does look like there's a wheel size setting in there I will check out. Incidentally I think I'm going to change the auto off settings as well since often the HD has so much power we're not even engaging the motor for long enough that it quits on me occasionally.

• Alaska Pirate
                      Alaska Pirate commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I also have a 20" wheel. I DL'ed a speedo app to my phone, velcroed it to the bike and found the 18" setting on the 500c was pretty much spot on

Is this repairable. The battery started smoking after this mornings ride. All terminals have been waterproofed with Permatex sent by LUNA.

The bottom input began to fail last year after using the Permatex that was sent by Luna so I started using the alternate port. Both ports were waterproofed. Today, nothing felt out of the ordinary but there was some moisture on the ground from last night's rain. My normal ride is about 6.5 miles - I put in the basement (dry) when I got to work and about 20min later it started to smoke. I figured Luna would not have a solution as these batteries are difficult to service. Hopefully there is a fix..otherwise $600 down the drain!

Comment

• paxtana
                      paxtana commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Bummer, sounds like water got into the connector somehow. Please email us at support@lunacycle.com attn:Seb. Include the order# please.

Please store the battery somewhere safe such as a grill outside until we get back to you, or a luna charge safe if you happen to have one. Please do not attempt to disassemble or mess with it until we get back to you. If you have nowhere to store the battery safely please dispose of it in accordance with this page, and take a picture of it being disposed of https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...the-usa-canada and send that in when emailing support.
                  Working...
                  X