Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a number of intermittent problems with my BBS02 kit. I have cleaned contacts, checked cable connections, cleaned out the out controller area. Problems occur with or without the throttle connected.

Frequently the display and motor powers off, sometimes after running for a half hour, sometimes immediately after first powered on. Sometimes switching the battery on and off several times fixes it, sometimes I can power it on after pedaling a number of minutes.

Sometimes the display is on but the motor won't run.

The latest problem is that sometimes the motor continues to assist even when the display shows pedal assist is set to zero.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be appreciated.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      An intermittent problem which occurs at all speed/power levels could be a loose connection or short in throttle, brake cables, gearsensor cable or connectors between controller>motor. A problem that only happens at high load is more likely to be something getting hot. Which could be a high resistance connection or short in the power wiring, or an overheating controller, an overheating battery, or a battery that is showing voltage sag beyond Low Voltage Cutoff, or shutting down from pulling a higher discharge rate than the built-in battery management system is built for.

Would also be advisable to remove any accessories, unplug gearsensor, brake sensor etc.

For more step by step guides check this page https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...he-bbshd-bbs02

If nothing else just start throwing parts at it; there are only a few things it can be and only so many parts you can change out

• 73Eldo
      73Eldo commented
      Editing a comment
      I would carefully inspect the wiring looking for any signs of pinching or damage. Start right where they come out of the motor. Look close at places where it could have been damaged by bottoming out on terrain or maybe putting the bike in a stand or on a rack. Pull the main harness connector apart and inspect that for any signs of water or other crud that could have got in there. Check the rest of the harness for any damage maybe caused by the bars getting spun around or again pinched against something. Maybe even try a new upper main harness? The lower part is part of the controller which would be next on my list if the upper doesn't fix it but is a more expensive part so I don't know that I would buy one just cuz.

https://lunacycle.com/parts/bafang-p...iring-harness/

• Gr8fun
      Gr8fun commented
      Editing a comment
      Wiring harness defect on mine. Thought it was display
      Intermittant problems are tough to diagnose.
      Last edited by Gr8fun; 04-19-2021, 02:13 PM.

I submitted issues with my Shark 52V battery yesterday. Thanks for pointing me to the 07/14/2017 about the battery and possibly the BMS being tripped. I looked at the following website Jumping your Luna Shark Battery Pack (lunacycle.com) and it shows how to reset the BMS. My charge doesn't have the same type of barrel end. It's a larger barrel type with multiple inputs. Do you have a plug with a red and black wire out of it I can use per the instructions? Thanks.......Andy

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Does your multimeter show correct voltage at the discharge contacts? If so you do not need to jumpstart it.
      If you are using a standard charger with xlr on it, i.e. it is not using some kind of adapter you can unplug, then it would probably be difficult to jerry rig wires up to the discharge contacts. At least not without cutting off that connector and running the bare wires to the contacts, then soldering it back together.

I have a BBSHD tuned programmed at 750 watts. When I want to pedal with the motor turned off, I feel resistance from the motor. Is this normal? Secondly, can I reprogram the controller to give me less power in the various power levels? What are the default settings for each level when the kits (tuned fo4 750 watts) are sent from Luna? Thx

Comment

• 73Eldo
      73Eldo commented
      Editing a comment
      With the motor off or set to zero assist there is more drag on the pedals than if there was no motor at but it should not be so much that you really think its causing a problem. My non scientific impression is all the extra weight of a battery and the motor adds more drag to the overall experience than just what you get in the pedals. Take the chain off and test it again. You should be able to pedal with just a pinky finger. If you have more drag than that you may have a defect or something causing a bind. Do you have a gap that you can slide at least a piece of paper through between your chainstay (the bike frame that goes to the back wheel) and the gear case of the BBS? If no that could be your problem, you are actually bending the BBS's gear case.

For the power levels go to the more or advanced settings screen and set the assist levels to 9 from the default 5. Most of the displays this screen is the same one where you set the tire size to make the speed and odometer accurate. Going to 9 levels doesn't change the min or max boost but gives you finer steps. Many of us didn't like the five steps and were thinking we would have to get the cable to do advanced programming but after going to 9 are happy,. When I was on 5 it always seemed like there was too much and I was always accelerating.
      Last edited by 73Eldo; 04-11-2021, 06:31 AM.

• Dshue
      Dshue commented
      Editing a comment
      Try turning the display on with the battery turned off(if it has a switch) or with the battery unplugged. If the motor isn't running then it's going to try to generate power when pedaled while it's off. The capacitors in the controller store enough power to keep it excited. Just like an automobile alternator, it spins easy when the field isn't excited. But feed it 12v and it doesn't spin so easy.

73Eldo, thanks for your response. I will try both of your suggestions.

Comment

Ok I have a 52v dire wolf pack with bafang hd mid drive & color display, approx 1 year old, properly stored (80%) and cared for, maybe 50 charge cycles.
      Battery voltage and display read 44.7v (1/4 bar) tried two different Luna chargers with approx 58.2 volts tested at output. When plugged into battery, both chargers set at 100%(or any other settings), indicate batteries fully charged! Will not Charge.

Comment

If it is still showing 58.2 on the charger then it is not connecting for some reason. If the chargers work on other batteries then maybe something wrong with the charge port on the battery. Have you tested the charge port for voltage with a multimeter? Have you tried the backup charge port?

Comment

Ok I’ll pull the short extension I have from the charge port & check it directly and try the second charge port,
          thankyou

Comment

Ok I found that the shirt extension I made up was loose creating a partial open circuit! I made a new one, all set now!! Thankyou for leading me in the right direction

Comment

• paxtana
              paxtana commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad to hear you got it figured out :)

I bought your bafang ultra and am replacing the internal controller with the phaserunnerv3. There's the three phase wires, I understand. a The 6 pin plug(red, white, blue,yellow,green,black) and the black round plug has me stumped. Could you please tell what every wire is including the plug wires. I can't get my bike together and no-one seems to know. I stuck...

Comment

• paxtana
              paxtana commented
              Editing a comment
              We generally don't support modding with stuff bought elsewhere, maybe you could contact the manufacturer

Originally posted by rob3141 View Post
            I bought your bafang ultra and am replacing the internal controller with the phaserunnerv3. There's the three phase wires, I understand. a The 6 pin plug(red, white, blue,yellow,green,black) and the black round plug has me stumped. Could you please tell what every wire is including the plug wires. I can't get my bike together and no-one seems to know. I stuck...
            This might help. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...ng+phaserunner

Comment

• calfee20
              calfee20 commented
              Editing a comment
              You know a tip like this generally deserves a "Thank you"

Hi all,
            I have a BBS02 500w controller with 36V input. Does anyone have a hex file so I can upgrade the controller? I need the input to be 58.8V instead of 36V.

I saw this video, but its hex file for BBSHD : Bafang firmware update/ Error 30 fix/Error 7 fix BBSHD BBS02 - YouTube

Comment

Battery lid stuck on surron, how do you take the pins out of the lid hinge?

Comment

• paxtana
                paxtana commented
                Editing a comment
                Idk about the hinge specifically but there are allen head bolts and a phillips screw around the latch you could remove to perhaps get things unstuck

Hello,
              I have an unusual problem which just cropped up recently.
              I'm running a BBSHD w/ Luna DPC-18 display and 52 V Luna Wolfpack battery.
              When I come back from a ride or even a very short period of operation, the system will not restart once it's turned off.
              It's completly dead, no display or motor operation. The battery output seems fine when tested.
              After several hours it will restart again.
              Everything seems to work OK as long as I don't turn it off.
              I ordered a new display and wire harness, but now I'm worried that the problem may be in the motor or the controller.
              Has anyone else experienced ths same issue. Any recommendations for a repair.
              I'm hoping to get this resolved as I leaving on a crosscountry trip which was planned to include a lot of ebike riding.
              Thanks,
              Bob W.
              Last edited by Wozzy; 04-28-2021, 02:05 PM.

Comment

• paxtana
                paxtana commented
                Editing a comment
                Never heard of something like that before, does the controller feel hot? Are you using any extensions, anything like that? Have you tried firmly plugging into the backup discharge connector on the battery?

I've tried reseating all the wire harness and power connectors, I have no extensions.
              My V1 battery has only one output conector, but the XT90 connector seems to make good contact.
              Motor and controller temp seems to not matter because if I just turn it on, lift the rear wheel and turn the throttle one time, then turn it off, and it will not restart.
              Then I need to wait several hours until it will restart again.
              Very weird!
              Last edited by Wozzy; 04-28-2021, 02:07 PM.

Comment

• paxtana
                paxtana commented
                Editing a comment
                I would probably try to bypass the display, and discharge test the battery on other equipment. Could also bypass the battery trying to see if you can duplicate the issue when powering the motor from the charger. This is all described here https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...he-bbshd-bbs02

paxtana, Thanks for the help.

I've tried both powering fom the battery charger and jumpering pins 1&2 (P+, PL) on the display harness connector

Powering from the charger gives the same results as powering from the battery. (It will turn on if it's been sitting, but will not immediatly restart after powering down)
              Jumpering P+ to PL did not allow it to restart. (battery connected, and turning pedals to generate PAS signal) Admittedly, I did not retry this after letting it sit for a period of time.

I'm stumped!

Comment

• paxtana
                paxtana commented
                Editing a comment
                Well you have eliminated the battery as the source of the problem, that's a great start.

When you did the display bypass did you try throttle? Not sure PAS would work like that, I usually use throttle when bypassing. I suppose either way doesn't matter since you already have another display on the way.

Guessing it is the controller here.

• Dshue
                Dshue commented
                Editing a comment
                Pas will only work on the level it is set to when you power the display on. If your pas starts at level 1 when you power the display up then that's the level you get with bypassing the display. If its set to 0 when powered on then pas will not work with the bypassed display. And if throttle is based on pas level like it is with the 02B then if pas is set to 0 on startup then throttle won't work either with a bypassed display.
            Working...
            X