Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,
    I am considering purchasing the following......

Bafang BBSHD Mid Drive Ebike Kit
    750w Street Legal 68mm-73mm (Standard)
    Stock 46T Steel Chain Ring
    Bafang Display DPC-07
    Luna Right Full Twist Throttle Blue $15.00
    Mechanical Ebrake Levers with Cutoff GearSensor for Derailers and Internal Geared Hubs $45.00
    Edit Remove

Another member was kind enough to help me but I'm too dumb to fully understand.
    My question is....this is a 750watt kit....but can it be programmed to be a 1000watt kit as well without any hardware changes?
    Also, does it include torque sensing hardware?

Thanks

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes you can change the config for whatever peak current level you want, between 1-30A. "street legal" is something like 20 or 25. Hotrod is 30. Watts equal volts times amps, so if you had a 52v nominal pack fully charge 58.8v x 30 = 1764W. That will change depending on state of charge of the battery and so on but you get the idea

• 73Eldo
      73Eldo commented
      Editing a comment
      I would only get the brake levers if your bike has some sort of rim brakes or road calipers on a disc. Anything else I would get the hydraulic sensors and use your existing levers. Also note what type of shifters your bike has. Some shifters attach to the brake lever, not the bar so you change one you have to change the other. Same thing with the right throttle, will it get in the way of your shifter? Some styles it does. Many of us go with the left side because we are getting rid of the left shifter anyway. The hydraulic sensors are just magnetic sensors you attach to what ever your existing levers are so it doesn't matter if they are antique rim brakes or the latest 4 piston hydraulics.

BBS's don't currently have a torque sensing option and would take some significant internal changes to accommodate such a thing. Rumor is there is a next gen coming soon, maybe that will have the option?

I would just order the 'hot rod' version which is what the Luna site defaults to. Pretty rare for anyone to want to dial one back. I think the only reason you would want to is for someone with mental and or physical limitations where you needed to force limits on them.

Ok update of original question hope I do the reply right as not very computer smart .... first I had to look up what " Halls " are as I am E bike novice & not electrician & gotta say it does sound a lot like the troubles my friend is having with the ' bumping/jumping ' as it try's to start going & loss of power while running . I put the trike up on a jack lift to check if front hub motor/wheel would spin freely or had any drag & it seemed ok ,while I had it up turned it on & pressed the thumb throttle & it bumped a bit at first but then spun up very fast like it was going top speed ,tried this several times & it seemed to have no loss of power & always spins very fast .... so i decided to take a ride & immediately it had troubles getting going(lotta bump n jump) but once it did get going it would not go more than about 10 mph at full throttle & had loss of power several times with more bump n jump to go again ( sometimes only going about 3/5mph after restarting ) same when had to stop at stop signs.I got to the only stretch of road ( mile & half ) on the island with out stop signs & after many tries got it to go at full speed? 16mph or better (could feel a big difference in the feel of power & how fast it got up to speed )for the entire distance but once I slowed down to turn around had more of same troubles & could not get it back up to that speed again. ......... thoughts????

Comment

One more costly idea. Disconnect entire harness looking for contamination and poor connection. Was device left outside one too many times. If it worked when first set up then something has changed. I approach these problems by replacing components until it works again. The electric system is controlled in several ways. However "mistimed" electric signals produce poor performance. Or no movement at all. Heat is a symptom. Is a component getting hot. ?. Be thankful battery appears ok. Set it aside. I would buy a new controller. That's the device with buttons and screen. Then there is the mysterious hub. Buy new and better designed hub motor + rim. Some of this stuff is designed for Chinese people who have limited education so they are basically not so designed for repair. They are designed for easy assembly and operation. Upon failing the components are removed and replaced until system operates properly. That is not to say they can not be repaired. You need tools and understanding of electric power systems. Test devices to find problems are essential. Then the training to use the equipment. E-tecs make the big bucks. Guys like you and me are stuck with the former method described. Erik Luna could fix your problem in 10 minutes. However it is cheaper to buy a new bicycle.

Comment

Is the magnesium Bafang Ultra that you have for sale on your web site the identical motor that comes on the Apollo?
      The reason that I ask is that I purchased the Ultra motor from Luna Cycles for my wife’s trike and I also recently received a brand new Apollo. The Apollo’s Ultra is considerably noisier than the Trike with the Luna Magnesium Ultra motor. If they are the same, why is the Apollo noisier? If they are not the same, what is the difference?

My last question concerns the Ultra programming. I love the power of the speed of the Apollo but alas I really don’t need it to be so aggressive. Do you all have a tamer (smoother) program for the Apollo, perhaps one that gives just a small amount of assist in Levels 1 and 2 but becomes much more aggressive in Levels 4 & 5.
      Thank you.

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Same motor but maybe some minor variations. Spose you could open it up and add a little extra grease to it if you were so inclined

You can configure it same as BBSHD, using the same config software and program cable described here. May not necessarily want to use the preloaded profiles made for bbsxx though.
        https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...shd-mid-drives

Have a 2012 Giant Talon that I want to install a BBS02 on...removing the Howitzer XR external bottom bracket I noticed the face of the shell is tapered...will that present a problem when torquing up the security nut on the BBS02? Will the face have enough "meat" on it to secure the motor?
      Last edited by Mutinyguy; 06-13-2021, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• 73Eldo
        73Eldo commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you have a photo?

Actually I took care of the issue/concern....I forgot I had an ebike stabilizer bar from California ebikes...A few bends and fits nicely onto the chain stay...so no more worries about mucking up my bottom bracket shell...I'll get a photo up later today...

Comment

Hello
        2 questions.
        I have a Luna banana ludicrous and the display/battery randomly shuts while riding. I have 2 batteries and I’m almost positive it only happens with one of the batteries.
        Also my speed sensor stopped working. How do I go about repairing that.
        Thanks
        -Al

Comment

• bhaaf
          bhaaf commented
          Editing a comment
          The motors will shut off after about five minutes if it doesn’t see the speed sensor “magnet”. Turn it off then back on and you have another five minutes.

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          ^^ this. Also, depending on the display you can turn off this functionality. All color displays can do it, it's a setting called auto-off or something similar.

Both Wolf batteries? Same age and vintage? Any indication of their charge state when this happens? Like 100% or maybe 75%? Are you reading volts or percent? What sort of demand are you putting on the motor at the time it cuts out? Or doesn't there seem to be any pattern?

Speed sensor I would assume is the stock Bafang BBS setup where you should be able to see a wired sensor on the back wheel. It senses a magnet that is attached to a spoke. Its got to be pretty well aligned and close to the sensor to get a good reading like within 2mm. First check to make sure your rear wheel hasn't shifted for some reason, if its in its proper place and secure look and see how close the magnet gets to the sensor. The magnet can fairly easily get knocked or as the wheel settles in the spokes can twist a bit. Also if they are using the stock sensor mount its kinda a flimsy piece of crap. If you have or know someone with a 3d printer there are much better ones on thingaverse. Sensor has a light on it that goes on and off as the magnet passes.

Comment

Both are wolf pack, one is the stock black one (this is the one shutting down) the other is the clear one U can see the cells. Recently bought that one.
          it shuts down anywhere from half power to almost no power. I only ran it down once, usually charge with one green bar left. As far as load after a constant low to medium load is when it shuts down. Definitely not pushing hard when it happens.

I just noticed the magnet fell off the wheel. It was not under the tape.
          Where would I grab another magnet from?

Comment

For the magnet its nothing special. Just go to your favorite bike parts website and search for speed sensor or magnet or similar things and you should get some hits. Many other types of speedometer/cycle computers use a similar setup that will work. Some places have a Bosch one. CatEye is seems common but looks like the clamp is plastic. I have been buying MSW ones. They seem like strong magnets on an aluminum body. EC331 looks to be the part number. You can also get it as a Bafang part but only with a sensor and its pretty rarely in stock anywhere.

On the battery you may have a problem. It seems like Luna could have had a bad batch a while back where the BMS freaks out and cuts off way too soon. Look up your original order number when you bought the bike and the serial number thing on the pack itself if the sticker isn't all scratched off then open a ticket on their site. If it falls into the batch they have had issues with they will likely have you go through a specific sequence of testing that you document on video. If they determine that its a defect and not just age or missuse they will likely offer you some sort of credit to be used towards a new pack. They don't just send out a new pack no questions asked especially after the original warranty has passed but I thought their offer was fair and got another Wolf and would not hesitate to buy more which I have.

Comment

I purchased a Luna Apollo a couple of weeks ago. I love the bike but I managed to bend the derailleur hanger. I want to purchase a new derailer hanger and I would like to know which one is installed on the Apollo and where I can purchase one? Also which size of Sram Eagle SX derailleur is the Apollo equipted with?

Comment

• paxtana
                paxtana commented
                Editing a comment
                Sorry to hear that. Like many high-end hangers you can bend it back several times before it needs to be replaced, typical bike shops have tools to straighten them. But if you want to buy a new one we can likely hook you up as a special order if you contact support. I doubt you would be able to find it elsewhere.

Thanks! I'll do that.

Comment

I have a BBSHD recent version from BafUSA Direct. I want to add on my own self powered two wire digital voltmeter, mainly because I like the stock display and controls and don't want to upgade them. Is there a place where I can tap into the existing harness and get a switched B+ voltage sense? My meter would slowly drain the battery if left connected, so the P+ as shown in the Luna schematic won't work as its always hot, if I understand it. I could add a push button to momentarily power the meter but prefer to have it on when I'm riding.

Comment

• paxtana
                  paxtana commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry friend this thread is for specifically asking about Luna products, if you bought this from some other dealer you would have to create a different thread asking for advice there

Hi,
                I'm having issues with my Bafang bbs02. I have a kt 36v controller and a lcd3 display
                Ok so here is my issue - when the assist starts the motor very often stutters and won't take off like there is not enough power even on the flat... if it does take off it goes ok except motor sounds a bit louder than usual but if i
                stop pedaling the assist stop (as expected) but does not start back. The throttle is not working either. I have to either power off and on the Battery or if I ride over a bump or off a gutter will kick it back in.... I have tried resetting to defaults and many variations of the display settings and nothing has worked.... Any advice would b much appreciated
                Tags: None

Comment

• paxtana
                  paxtana commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you are having an issue with an aftermarket controller you would likely need to get in touch with the seller and see if they support it.

Luna Wolf V2 52v Battery Pack
                Options Available: Stealth Black - Samsung 30q 12ah

Battery just turns off when it gets down to about 53V. I should have complained about this a long time ago as it has done it since day one. I thought that was the BMS working but someone told me it's bad and not supposed to do that. I checked the voltages on the ports after it turns off and of course the discharge ones are 0 and the charge ports are at 7.5V each. It will charge back up to 58.8 volts just fine btw and I just happened to see the voltage of where it was today when it died and it was not fully discharged. It seems to be cutting out at 50% discharge. :(

I'm guessing a bad BMS but this thing it totally sealed up in epoxy. :(

Comment

• 73Eldo
                  73Eldo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ya the fully potted battery is in theory good for longevity as long as there isn't a defect. The BMS looks like its the first thing that goes into the plastic case so for sure a fairly destructive process to access it which would also be risky especially on the black ones. At least if you had the clear one you could see where stuff was but even then it would still be quite a slow and possibly risky process.

May still be worth starting a ticket with Luna. First look up your original order number and then the serial number off the bottom of the pack if the sticker isn't scratched off, the ticket process will ask for the original order number. Depending on the age and batch they may ask you to do some specific tests and document them on video. If they determine that it is a defect they may offer you some credit towards a new pack. They do this on a case by case basis so there is no real firm time line or percentage but something is better than nothing which is more or less what you have now.

I still think its a good design pack and used my credit for my bum pack towards another one and have also bought yet another one after that. I like that its about the most vibration and moisture resistant pack out there. That is all I will run on my off road bike because I worry about the extreme vibration on the trails with other packs.
              Working...
              X