Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 73Eldo View Post
    How many miles/km's are you getting out of a chain and cassette? Salt is really hard on em, most people say if you can get one winter out of you are doing good. I know many people that put new on in the spring and just hope they make it to next spring and those are often not even on E bikes.
    I put probably 1000km on a set of chain and cassette, it's probably too much and that's why I'm experiencing issues. A friend of mine went for an internal geared hub and it solved the slipping issue but it's an expansive alternative.

Comment

• Cezar
      Cezar commented
      Editing a comment
      I did 7000 km on the internal Alfine8 derailleur, without any unpleasant adventures, the hub gear is fabulous .. absolutely flawless. Alfine 11 is a more interesting solution, but the price is also interesting.

1000 km is 620 miles so maybe a little thin but the salt just eats bike parts so if part of that time is with salt it may not be that bad. Quick math are you going through 2 drives per year? So one of them isn't being exposed to salt? That does seem like more wear than many others are experiencing.

What brands / models have you been using? All the same or have you tried different stuff? Cheap seems to be no good for E bikes and expensive doesn't seem to be any better than the mid grade stuff so most of us are ending up in the middle. The expensive stuff that is about saving weight seems to be the worst for E bikes, I have read many reports of broken chains and cassettes with that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
      Consider a prime 9 groupset from box components. That stuff lasts forever.

BTW your display appears to still have the protective shipping film on it.
      --> Ha ha ! I know :-)

The Box Components seems to offer interesting gears, I could give it a chance if though they are saying: "Not Intended for Ebike Use" :-/

I've sent them an email to advice on a ebike friendly groupset :-)

Comment

There are specific versions on their site that are for ebike use. Not that it really matters IMO, I have used one of their 8s versions for years with no issue and that definitely does not say for ebike use. Bottom line is that their core values are one of not skimping on durability for minor weight savings, which definitely makes sense for our uses.

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
          There are specific versions on their site that are for ebike use. Not that it really matters IMO, I have used one of their 8s versions for years with no issue and that definitely does not say for ebike use. Bottom line is that their core values are one of not skimping on durability for minor weight savings, which definitely makes sense for our uses.
          Yeah ok I understand:

One of their sales person actually answered me and confirmed what you are stating basically , see below:

"Hi Etienne,

All of our EBike specific drivetrains are great for the Ebike application.

Please not the difference between our Ebike and standard drivetrains are that all our Ebike drivetrains come with a single shift shifter and a cassette with a small cog of 12T.

Box Two Prime 9 X-wide Ebike
          Box Three Prime 9 X-wide Ebike
          Box Three Prime 9 Wide Ebike

Box Four 8sp Wide Ebike

Depending on the terrain that you are going to be riding and will help you with deciding which drivetrain suits you best.

EBike Comparison Chart

If you have any questions please let me know.

Take care,
          "

Comment

• paxtana
            paxtana commented
            Editing a comment
            I have not seen that chart before, very nice comparison

I recently purchased my new Surron black edition. While going for my ride today, I noticed that the horn has stopped working. Do you guys have any suggestions on what may be the problem.

Comment

Is this an appropriate way to bleed hydraulic bike brakes? See below.

Because my no-name brakes don't fit any of the fill nipples in my kit, I did the following.

-left the system closed except for the port on the brake lever, and put some fluid in the bleed funnel.
            -removed the brake pads and put the stop-block in.
            -repeatedly squeezed the brake lever until no more air came out and no more fluid went in.
            -the whole time, flicking the hose in order to encourage air to come up.

Is there anything wrong with doing it this way? It seems like a hell of a lot less effort than using the whole kit. Just put the bleed funnel in with some fluid and pump the brakes until the air is gone.

Comment

• FATtire
              FATtire commented
              Editing a comment
              Perfect! I was thinking about riding the bike some and jumping some curbs to really 'unsettle' any possibly trapped air. Then rotating the lever +/- 30 degrees back and forth. For advanced as these tools and procedures are, a ' proper' bleed is still very messy and time consuming! It seems like someone would have come up with something better by now. My LBS wanted $50 per caliper for what took me 10 minutes of work.

• calfee20
              calfee20 commented
              Editing a comment
              Sometimes I wonder why I check this thread because most of the questions are just the the same old problems that newbies have. This post however is a gem and makes all the reading worthwhile. Thanks Paxtana.

• paxtana
              paxtana commented
              Editing a comment
              You are quite welcome calfee20, always happy to pass along good tips :)

Seems like my X1 never saw any loctite. Thought I got them all but still managed to lose one half of the threaded set that holds the seat dropper lever together. Any thoughts on how to get another? Thanks

Comment

• paxtana
              paxtana commented
              Editing a comment
              Send a pic to support we'll see what we can do

After a recent ride the check engine light would come on after 2 minutes of powering on. Wiith error code 15H. The bike would run for about 5 minutes after the light came on and then power itself off.
            Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

On that display (750c) 15H error code is a speed sensor error. On other displays the speed sensor error code is 21. With the system on and the rear wheel spinning, check to see that the speed sensor flashes (red light), and that the display is registering speed. If neither is happening, make sure the spoke magnet is lined up and passing close to the sensor and check again. If the speed sensor isn't working (light won't flash and display won't register speed) your auto shutoff in the display is probably set to 5 minutes and powering the system down. You may be able to keep the system on by turning off the shutdown timer in the display settings. You won't know your speed but the system won't shut down.

Comment

What would be the best bike for off road trails and bumpy terrain/adverse weather conditions (mud, rain, maybe snow)? I think I'm looking at the Luna Cycle Apollo, the X1 Enduro, or the KHS 500 but I'm not sure how to interpret the differences between these three (I'm trying to stay away from the Sur Ron, which would probably be the best choice for the intended use, because I would still like the option of using local bike paths and trails). Is there anywhere to read a comprehensive comparison of the differences? Does one of them stand out as the best for off road use?
                Last edited by 30Acres; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

• paxtana
                  paxtana commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They would all be good for that kind of riding, but the X1 is one of the best choices, followed closely by the very similar Apollo. The others are almost always sold out too so that may help make the decision easier.

after my first ride on my new setup my 52V mini charger is seemingly unable to charge my luna wolfpack v2 battery.

Both LED indicators flash every second or so accompanied by an audible click LED1 is red, LED2 is green.

This youtube video shows probably the same issue i am encountering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXqE...VDFTRs&index=2

In the comments it describes an adapter that can be used to stop this, however, my charger was not supplied with an adapter.

My major concern is that this will damage my battery and therefore i am unable to ride my new bike until this is resolved.

Is it safe to continue using the charger in this state?

Comment

• paxtana
                  paxtana commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's just trickle charging until it gets up above a preset voltage level that is a bit too high. If anything it is safer than regular charging, as slow charging is better for lithium. If you leave it plugged in for several hours it will charge up past that level and then resume normal speed. I would recommend to email support or let me know your order# if this is a new charger and we can send you the adapter.

• larslcc
                  larslcc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  thanks for the reply, that is a relief that its not going to damage my battery and i can keep using it :). Yes it is a new purchase with the mid drive kit I got, I have an open support ticket atm regarding this but my order# is 180867 if that helps expedite :). once again, thank you so much!

• paxtana
                  paxtana commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glad I could help. You can ignore the reply made by my associate on that case. I have made the work order, and we will email you tracking soon as it ships, likely within next few business days.

Hello, hope all is well. I am sorry I am not sure if I am posting this in the right spot.
                I have a db primary chain conversion kit but the big sprocket is backwards according to the instructions form the company. The bike works but it is really loud. I know the primary chain is louder then the belt but this is really loud. I had the same kit on another Sur Ron and it was nothing like this sound. I only rode the bike around a few blocks and then decided to check and that’s when I figured out it was backwards. It is going to get fixed on Monday so the reason I am here is I was supposed to go riding today but now I do not feel safe riding the bike. Could the sprocket being backwards make it louder? Does anyone know why the sprocket should go the other way? I also emailed the company but I don’t think I will hear back till monday. Also could someone please tell me the proper tension for the primary chain?
                Any help would be great.
                Thank you!

Comment

Hello, I have a Luna X1 Enduro and was riding yesterday. I've got about 250 miles on the bike so far.

As I was riding I heard a pop and the chain went loose. I checked and the lower arm of the derailleur is pretty slack now. It doesn't return to a taught position pointing away from the crankset as it used to.

I watched a few videos on youtube and had a look at the spring and I do see a wear mark that looks like maybe the spring slipped inside the barrel but after pulling it apart and making sure both ends of the spring are seated in their slots it is still very slack. Can you tell me if that spring has to be wound in some way? Is there some other obvious problem I am overlooking? If you can describe what to do to fix it I can fix it myself. Thanks for the help!

Part 5 in this picture is the spring I am talking about.Click image for larger version

Name:	SRAM_RearDerailleur.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	142182

Comment

I recently bought a used sur ron(took a chance) that’s been sitting for a couple months, the seller said that the battery was fine just dead, once I got it and tried to charge it,it will bout take a charge!…I tried the low voltage deal with turning the charger in then off 40+ times with 2 different chargers and still nothing! Reads 0%, any ideas or is the battery trash?

Comment

• paxtana
                    paxtana commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sorry to hear that. This thread is more for stuff bought directly from Luna. If you are in Hawaii as your profile says I would check out ebikeshawaii. The service won't be free, but there's a decent chance John Cho or his technician Kalani can help you figure out the issue.
                Working...
                X