Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,
    I have a Bafang BBSHD which has done about 1300 miles now.
    It has started to develop a grinding type noise when I am peddling, it only does it when I pedal lightly.
    When I really push on the pedals it stops making the grinding noise.
    I suspect it's a bearing, the crank has around 2mm of float from side to side. Is this a normal amount?
    So not sure if it's the thrust bearing or the bearing on the chain ring side on the outside.
    It does get used all weathers, so it's possible it's got water in it.
    Does the 'BBSHD Steel Gear' part come with the casting and the bearing, as in the photo?
    Thanks
    Larry

Comment

• LarryBBSHD
      LarryBBSHD commented
      Editing a comment
      It sounds like the sort of noise a bottom bracket makes when it needs greasing.
      More of a loud creaking noise than a constant grinding.
      The grease inside seemed thick and good to me.

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Seb has a BBSHD disassembly thread here somewhere, Check it out. Open up the unit and do an inspection. It's far easier than it sounds, trust me. All you need is a pair of Snap Ring pliers ($30 at any hardware shop) and some Allen keys. There's nothing you can damage or ruin unless you intentionally tried to. Open up and remove the main steel gear and see if you can still hear the sound happening. Continue forward with disassembly until you can see if you can hear where the sound is originating from.

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...e-and-greasing
      Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 07-17-2017, 02:20 PM.

• LarryBBSHD
      LarryBBSHD commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the response, and useful link, I got around to taking the motor apart tonight.
      As far as I can tell, it appears to be the outside bearing is badly worn.
      There is quite a fit of free play in it in one direction but not at 90 degrees round.
      I took the bearing covers off and there it still grease in there.
      So it doesn't look like water has got in, the bearing has just warn.
      Well I hope that it's this anyway, I have a stainless steel bearing replacement on order, that hopefully will last longer.

Keep in mind guys that "Sales/Order related questions" are not permitted in this thread. If you have an E-bike technical question relating to a single products functionality, troubleshooting or information that you might not be able to find on this forum elseware, then this is the appropriate place to ask it.

Please email support@lunacycle.com if you have any questions regarding products missing on the website, product stock, or you want to discuss any problems with your order
    Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 07-17-2017, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Do you know what tool I need to buy to get the Stock Cyclone Chainring off of the Standard Square Tapered Crank Set for the Cyclone? Also from this view backside view, I turn in counter clockwise to unscrew from the cranks? Many Thanks, Augie
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Cyclone crank.PNG
Views:	176
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	40154

Comment

I'm very confused on how the setup is with Luna's LCD and Controller for the Sondors Thin. So far I've bought the LCD, Controller. and the XT90-S Connector. Do I need anything else in order to make it compatible? What do I do after installing the controller and LCD into the bike itself before hooking it up? I'm not sure if I bought everything I need or whether or not I'm missing something. If someone could explain what Sondors currently uses and what I need to do to adjust it, that'd be wonderful. The thing I'm finding most intimidating is the part that says "So you would need to add bullet connectors onto your battery, or change the connectors on both sides and put something like an XT-90 on the controller."

Comment

• zachc275
          zachc275 commented
          Editing a comment
          So all in all is it really worth trying to hook up the controller and LCD if I have no e-bike assembly experience? I'm just worried I'm going to break something, something that's even worsened by the fact that I can't return it if I open the box.

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          The worst you could do is screw up the crimp job and cause a short or something, but that is only if you take the lazy approach to it and half ass the job. If you do it correctly and put care and diligence into making sure it's a clean crimp, then there generally shouldn't be any issues. But like I said, you can always bring it to a professional to get it done instead.

• commuter ebikes
          commuter ebikes commented
          Editing a comment
          In my early days of building ebikes, I found an electronics tech in my area. Try to find somebody who works on ebikes in Chicago. If not, you will definitely be able to find an electronics technician.

In the "Luna 48v 13.5ah FLX Hot Rod Battery & 2amp Charger", you also include a "spare connector and mounting piece included". I actually need that spare connector; do you know what part number it is? The closest I have been able to find is the Amphenol 97-3102A-12S-3P(946). Thanks!

Comment

• Sebz
          Sebz commented
          Editing a comment
          The FLX battery does not come with a cradle or connector unfortunately.

Good morning, I have a quick question about the throttle for the Luna Cycles BBSHD motor kit combined with the DPC-14 display. This is a programming settings question so if it's helpful to know, I bought the kit in April of 2017.

I currently have a speed limit in place in the display settings for 35KPH which is working well for the pedal assist in limiting my speed but I want the throttle to ignore this speed limit. From looking on forums it would appear that this behavior that I want should be the stock programming but is there something about the Luna programming that causes the throttle to also be speed limited by the setting in the DPC-14? If so, is this something I can override by purchasing a programming cable so that the throttle will not be speed limited? Thanks and have a great one!

Comment

• Sebz
          Sebz commented
          Editing a comment
          This can be changed on the controller programming, but you will need a program wire to do that : https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...the-first-time

If you have the stock programming you can email us and we can send you a hot rod program file to upload but the PAS won't be limited in speed no more... will only be limited in the amount of power (amps).

To everyone who is wondering, the reason your post is deleted is because it is either order related and or not appropriate for this thread. This is not a place to open a second case file and discuss problems with your order or make complaints. Please keep to email support@lunacycle.com for dealing with those manners. Or make a separate thread.

This is a thread for asking small technical questions to the shop that might not be able to be answered elseware on the forum or in our knowledgebase. Stuff like "Which tool do I need to install XXX" or "How do I remove XXX".

Please try and keep it short and simple.
        Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 07-18-2017, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Hi Eric, I think I'm going to go with the BBSHD 1000 kit. Question 1# is the controller is built into the unit?

Rod Cambridge
          Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 07-19-2017, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Cambridge View Post
            ...the BBSHD 1000 kit. Question 1# the controller is built into the unit?...
            Yes, the controller is built into the unit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bafang-bbshd-controller-30aparts.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	40353

I don't know the other answers.

Comment

What size chain does the cyclone 3000w take, It does not come with the kit, I soon found out when opened the kit.

Comment

• Eric Luna
                Eric Luna commented
                Editing a comment
                most chains should work... i would start with the chain that is on the bike now. A lot depends on what rear deraileur you are using if any. The need to also custom size the chain to fit your new set up.

I am referring to the motor drive chain. I seems that it will need to be a bigger size chain link.

Comment

• Eric Luna
                Eric Luna commented
                Editing a comment
                half link single speed chain should work

It appears you are out of stock on your Luna 29er Flagstaff 2016 KHS Full Suspension with the Ludicrous option. Any idea when you will more available for order?

Comment

• Eric Luna
                Eric Luna commented
                Editing a comment
                unfortunately we sold all the flagstaffs our supplier had to offer (KHS) we will be announcing this week a new custom battery full suspension frame.

I will be looking forward to see what you have to offer! thank you Eric.

Comment

I got a bbs02 kit a while back and a 6amp 52 volt mighty mini battery. this question is regarding the voltmeter that came with the battery. it has one button and a display. so it looks like push it and voltage will display. pretty easy. looks really well built for that one function. on the back are 2 micro buttons with the words K+ and K-. I have not really messed with it at all and looked through all of the luna store and some posts to find anything. is there more to this device or is it simply a voltage meter. thanks

Comment

Just to be clear the lower right red button is power on - off on the throttle assembly and the upper left red button is the cruise control just above the green horn button right? After engaging the battery the bike powers up but the power on - off button does nothing.

Comment

• OptimusPrime
                    OptimusPrime commented
                    Editing a comment
                    In your application that button is not hooked up. It can be used for an accessory like lights if you desire but not on/off
                Working...
                X