Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you look at the full bike, that part of the frame is actually very structural, it's the only part supporting the seats, the rest of the frame is basically just a giant tube

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      You wouldn't be removing it though. Since it is a flat triangular piece it still provides plenty of support even with a notch cut out. It's steel right?
      More I look at it, I'm thinking you might only need to remove some material right around in front of the bb shell, if at all. And if you wanted to you could get one of those $100 mig welders to patch it up with a bit of sheet metal once you remove the desired amount.

Received my full 52v shark pack bbshd order today 2 identical kits.
    My dpc18 is not working at the moment. Switched them and get 2 running bikes with only the 1 good display.
    1 Display never lights up. No throttle either.l or pedal assist.
    I then tested USB on display and only get USB power when holding down the display power button.

Please advise of further troubleshooting, hesitant to try the jumper as it seems we already know it's this DPC

Comment

• Sebz
      Sebz commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Sorry to see this, please email support we will take care of you.

But if you swapped the LCD and it does not work on both bikes and the other LCD works fine on both then no need to do the jumper test.

• Sdmountain
      Sdmountain commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been reading that I can use my USB programming cable to act as jumper and bypass the display. Not a permanent solution but sounds like I could at least get some riding in this weekend. Been waiting for this kit for a month! Any thoughts on this?

• ykick
      ykick commented
      Editing a comment
      Sure, USB program cable effectively "powers" the system and will operate using throttle or default PAS. Many off-road riders use it 100% of the time (or jumper the proper connection) since they sometimes crash which may damage the display and they don't really need the speedo and other dashboard info.

Paxtana,
    Wouldn't it be massively easier at that point just to do a cyclone install than grinding and welding my frame? Is the hardest part of the cyclone install the bottom bracket and spacers? Or cabling the controller?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess so, assuming the BBSHD does not clear it.
      Cyclone is a bit tricky, yes, and takes longer to get it dialed in. I might take additional purchases once you figure out you want it some other configuration as well. There's a lot more little parts and things you need to play around with to get just right. BB play, chain tensioner, which controller works with what desired feature, which cranks work with which BB and which chainring is optimal.

I don't know if it's what I would call hard for someone that actually reads the documentation in the knowledge base. If I were doing it I would probably go Cyclone 3000 with Isis bb and cranks, an additional bb spacer just in case I need it, 3 feet of single-speed chain (for going from motor to freewheel), triple chainring, stock controller with pas sensor, batt-man for power info on wiring, and the fusion triangle pack.

regarding the remote on/off switch https://lunacycle.com/remote-on-off-solid-state-switch/

what am i gaining by employing this device instead of a mechanical switch ?

i use the sabvoton controller - it has two poles which, if connected, enable the controller. the poles read 5v, and the current varies from 0-70mA (50mA on start, ~70mA with the throttle open)

Comment

• commuter ebikes
      commuter ebikes commented
      Editing a comment
      After I charge my battery, the full charge is 83.7V. As the bike sits, the charge goes down. It will be only about 82V about 24 hours later, even without using the bike or turning on the display.

My guess is that this switch greatly reduces the discharge mentioned above. I could be wrong.

I'm interested in the Luna Eclipse chain ring for my BBSHD. I'm not sure what the actual size is, though, because there are 2 different numbers on the product page https://lunacycle.com/parts/bafang-p...for-the-bbshd/ .

In the 2nd bullet point, it says 42T and lower down there's a size selection that says 48T. Which one is it?

Thanks for your help!

Comment

• Peter Halt
      Peter Halt commented
      Editing a comment
      Its a 2 piece unit that comes stock with 42 teeth. You can pay an extra $10 to get a 48T sprocket.

• cstubing
      cstubing commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah great, thanks. It's confusing because those 2 options aren't both listed in the size selection.

• cstubing
      cstubing commented
      Editing a comment
      Ack! I tried to buy one and I can't add it to cart without that 48T option selected -- "Please choose an option for Choose A Sprocket Size."

Will this charger work? battery has barrel end on it.

1 x Standard 3amp 48v Dolphin / Bottle battery charger

Comment

• Peter Halt
      Peter Halt commented
      Editing a comment
      It will work for a 48 volt battery with a female barrel charge input. Shark, Dolphin and bottle batteries.

For my next build I am looking to put a BBSHD on a frame that has a 100mm threaded bottom bracket (see picture below). But I don't see that option on the order page. Is Luna just out of that option right now or is that option unavailable?

Comment

• calfee20
      calfee20 commented
      Editing a comment
      What is that flange for? I am quite sure it will be in the way.

• MoneyPit
      MoneyPit commented
      Editing a comment
      ISCG tabs. International Standard Chain Device. For tensioners and guards and the like. Definitely at least one will be in the way on a BBSHD. Possibly the flange itself.

• commuter ebikes
      commuter ebikes commented
      Editing a comment
      Some chainrings require a chain guard. If MoneyPit puts on a BBSHD, his chainring will not require a chain guard.

Just removed my bbshd reduction gear cover to add a bit of grease to the gear.
    I'm having some trouble putting the cover back in place ...is there any trick we should know?

Comment

Considering a hubmotor conversion for an Xtracycle EdgeRunner Swoop cargo bike, couple of questions before I pull the trigger! I use this bike to haul my kids around town, so my priorities are safety and torque - I have no interest in going fast.

I'm currently leaning towards the Geared Hub Ebike Kit 750w for Rear, on a 20" rear rim. My questions:
      • What's the difference between the Golden Pie, the Smart Pie, and the Geared hub?
        • Is the Smart Pie a direct drive or geared?
      • The battery will be mounted in what on a normal bike would be the rear triangle, behind the bottom bracket.
        • Will the standard cable harness that comes with the Geared Hub kit work, or will I need to extend the cables?
        • Due to the battery location, the charging port on the right will be right behind the chain. I'd like to leave the battery on the bike and charge it in situ - what are my options here? Could I semi-permanently attach a charging extension that is in a more accessible location
      • I'm leaning towards a 48v shark, but only the 52v is available as an option on the Geared Hub page - why is that?
      • My bike has hydraulic brakes. What do I need to make this work?

thank you!

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Currently that hub is out of stock in rear, sorry..
        Golden pie is much larger and built for higher power, and will deliver more torque without getting as hot. But it's also heavier, so there's pros and cons. The smart pie is smaller, but also a DD hub. It gets a bit hotter due to smaller size so they built a fan into it for cooling.

You could attach an extension but it would likely wear out. I got a more durable prototype we could send along with a regular adapter if you like, but even then I'm not too sure about letting something like that just hang, seems like a bad idea. Hypothetically yes you could move the port by drilling a new hole in the case (while EMPTY, with cells removed) and running the port to that. Not what I would consider difficult as long as you don't accidentally short out the wires, but it would be time consuming.

The 52v shark was out of stock for a while. We still have some but it's a struggle keeping up with demand. The option was removed from the page for the time being. It can be added separately from the battery section. Course if you don't need speed then you probably don't need the 52v option, that only adds speed.

• e-all-the-things
        e-all-the-things commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome, thanks so much for the detailed reply! Your suggestions on the charging extension make sense.

When do you anticipate getting the geared hub (or similar) back in stock for a rear hub?

Will the standard cable harness work for an extended frame such as the Xtracycle? (the battery will be around 24" further back than a standard down-tube mounted battery)

What about the hydraulic brakes? Is there a component that will cut off power using my existing levers?

thanks again for the answers!

artdrectr I cover that part of reassembly in this video. Hopefully embedding still allows me to link to a specific section. ..edit: nope. tell you what just skip to 6.08 minutes in.

Comment

Perfect, thank you!

Comment

I emailed Eric many moons ago about my current setup with is a Q100h Hub motor with this battery from BMS

which includes this controller in the base of the battery mount

Everything was working great but then the battery died an early death. I am wanting to order this

Distributors and builders of high power electric bikes and trail bikes plus parts

but trying to find out for sure if it is plug and play with my current setup and will just slide right in to the mount I have and work with the installed controller. Anything I should be concerned about?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
            HIGHVOLTAGE commented
            Editing a comment
            It likely won't be Plug N Play. Mixing kits & items from various vendors never works out well. If you don't have any experience with soldering/crimping or re-wiring. I would not recommend this.

• paxtana
            paxtana commented
            Editing a comment
            It would not be plug and play but you would just need to rewire power wiring from cradle to controller, pretty easy. See this link for a rundown on various wiring options https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxwWeJ1XNx0
            Check out the hardcase documentation for more info.

Is it possible to safely charge my 52volt 12 ah battery using my Luna Advanced 300W charger to charge my battery using the cigarette lighter receptacle in my car with an inverter?

Comment

• ykick
            ykick commented
            Editing a comment
            Depends on the inverter and depends on the cigarette lighter or accessory plug. I learned the hard way my “accessory” outlet was only fused for 15A unlike the old days when 30A fuse lighter circuit was the norm.

If you do the math of 300W divided by 12VDC that’s going to draw at least 25A. Not accounting the losses of the DC-AC inverter. Of course you can use lower Amp output of the Advanced and possibly reduce the AC current draw enough?

Next is if the inverter is pure sine wave or modified. SMPS (switch mode power supplies) don’t normally play nice with modified sine wave outputs. Dunno why but they tend to run hot if they run at all?

Can I have the shipping price and a calculation for the import taks for Belgium.
          I want to order the BBS02 750 watt promo package with the 52V 13.6AH battery and some extra cables . total of 1000 dollar.

Thanks

Comment

• mtm408
            mtm408 commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't work at Luna Cycle so I can't give you a cost estimate, but I can tell you what is on the shipping info on the https://lunacycle.com/shipping/ page. " EU ships via ocean freight if it includes a battery, using JetCarrier. This can take 6-8 weeks and does not have tracking once it leaves USA"

Hopefully Paxtana will chime in soon.

• paxtana
            paxtana commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks mtm :)
            Hi Twido the cost varies to do ocean freight, please contact sales@lunacycle.com if you need more details. Typically would get back to you with total quote once order is placed and shipping contacts the carrier on your behalf but we can get you that info ahead of time if you contact sales. Import tax and customs fees is entirely dependent upon your country and this is not something we estimate, you would need to contact your customs officials for their rate as well as the carrier for any fees they may charge to act as your agent during customs clearance.

i need some help. i am stumble at this current issue. I have 2 shark pack battery mounted on 2 bikes.
          for discussion purpose lets give it name - A-battery and B-battery. A-battery is mounted on Bike-1 and B-battery mounted on Bike-2.
          This has been working the past 6 months.
          Since yesterday when A-battery is plug in to Bike-1 you hear a click sound and when i turn on the display it went blank.
          these are the tests I performed:

A-battery + Bike-1 + cradle-1 ------> Failed (display went blank - looks like a shut down)
          A-battery + Bike-2 + cradle-2 ------> Works

B-battery + Bike-2 + cradle-2 -------> Works
          B-battery + Bike-1 + cradle-1 --------> works!

A-battery + cradle-1 + Bike-2 --------> Failed!

Somehow the combination of A-battery + cradle-1 is deadly and I can't explain it????
          please help! thanks

Comment

Working...
        X