Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a kit 1000 watts for mountain bike

Comment

Hello Hello, so stoked, finally ready to order!

Quick question, what’s the timeframe on shipping out for a Fusion 650 if we ordered it tonight? Thank you!

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Typically it's about 2-3 weeks average as they are custom built to order.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      What my colleague said is correct, however it is probably worth pointing out that we cannot make any guarantee this will arrive before xmas if that's what you had in mind. When it's near the holidays operations can tend to be disrupted/delayed. Even thanksgiving caused significant setbacks at the ports we use for incoming cargo.

So 2-3wk average but that is an estimate, not a promise.

• Loppy
      Loppy commented
      Editing a comment
      Xmas means nothing. So no worries on that. I’ll be up in Tahoe testing a 6000w 2WD monster 12/18 through 20th, so I’ll coordinate with you guys on shipping so it arrives before or after, other than that, NO hurry, NO worry. So frigging stoked. All I do is make bikes for other people, never have time for mine. Haha... this will be my personal bike, so cant frigging wait!!!
      Thank you!!!

I have a very specific use case. I would like to commute to work, but there is one very steep block I have to climb (both ways.) I prefer to ride with no extra weight, so I want the smallest motor and lightest battery. Endurance and speed are of no concern to me.

I would like to get the double speed / double torque front wheel and mini battery - I believe those are the smallest, lightest available from Luna that can still make it up a steep hill. Can I do this without a display? I have no need for pedal assist. I just need a throttle to help me up that one block, the battery, and the motor.

Also - there seems to be clearance issues with the motor and the front fork. Anyone know if this would be an issue with a 1950s English racing bike? A Claude Butler, to be specific - but I believe all those english bikes are about the same...

I considered a mid drive at first, but I really want to preserve the period correct Chater Lea crankset I have. I assume the double speed double torque should help me get up the steepest san francisco block. Right?

Comment

• Zippy
      Zippy commented
      Editing a comment
      A Claude Butler? Nice......A friend of mine has one, restored beautifully, he had it powder coated in British Racing Green. My buddy collects vintage road bikes, some mountain bikes too, the Butler is one of my favorites in his collection. The owner of the bike shop I worked at right out of high school rode one too, sweet frames.

• sciencemonster
      sciencemonster commented
      Editing a comment
      The clearance I was worried about is just above the drop out, the place you have marked in green but has no measurement attached. I realize I have to spread the forks - no problem - but I want to confirm the motor will clear the fork itself just above the drop out.

Also - I would like Luna to build the wheel up but I can't deal with a black rim. Are the hub and rim available polished alum (ie silver, not black)? If not, can I have a Sun M13 drop shipped to Luna to be used?

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      In my experience it seems to depend on the fork. Some forks tend to curve in more than others. On something built 70 years ago, I have no idea if this is going to be an issue or not but it is a good idea to consider it.

Last I checked the Alex rims we are using are not all black, they are silver on the sides and black where the spoke holes are. We cannot do custom wheelbuilds at this time, sorry.

What is the diameter of the chainring available on the Bafabg Ultra Max? I couldn't find a comparison (to something similar) or the size online. I want to ensure my custom frame has clearance for it.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll have to get back to you on this, what's a good contact for you? Pm me an email if you like. at the moment all i know is this for stock:
      130BCD

44T

WIDE NARROW TOOTH PROFILE

Can anyone identify if this Bafang hub is a 500 watt or 750 watt model? Has an octagon power plug.
    # BF RMG06. 48v (7)
    26-1706267898-6

controller
    . Lsw1238-21m
    48v rated volts
    22amp max
    11amp rated amps

Also would the display and controller from Luna fit the octagon plug that is on this hub.

. Teo shipped Canadian spec bikes to his American customers this past June. Now we are doubting this is even a 750 hub.

Comment

I recently purchased the bafang fat hub motor kit from Luna. The battery I have has bullet connectors, but the controller I received from Luna with the hub motor kit has a locking connector. I don't have any problem removing the connectors and using butt splices or solder sleeves to make the connection. However, before I remove the connectors I would like to know how I can determine which is positive and which is negative on the controller wiring to the battery. Or if there is an even easier way of making this connection, I am open to suggestions. Additionally, this bafang controller seems to have five pins, so I am hoping the three smaller pins are not being used.

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Pretty sure the wiring should be color coded if you strip back the outer casing on the cable. Yes the other wires on the power cable are unused.

Finished putting together your mid drive kit on my wife's bike. She gets too much assist all the time. what can I do? I have a programming cable from you if needed.

Comment

Hi I'm looking to buy a battery pack for my e bike I'm kinda new to all this and was recommended to this site by a local e bike shop near me I have a 72v 1500w rear hub motor but want to upgrade in the near future not sure what battery I need can i get a recommendation on what battery to get that n can use now and also be able to use when I upgrade thak you

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Check to make sure what your controller (rectangular box connected to the motor) is rated for as this will be important to ensure compatibility. There's a label on it.
        We have a couple different 72v packs if you want that voltage, I would go with the PF pack if looking for something that can give a lot of torque. On that topic you also want to know how much current (amps) your controller is pulling.

But please do check what specs your ebike is built for as this will largely determine what pack you want. You need a pack that can deliver the amps the controller is pulling and you need a controller that can handle the voltage the pack is sending. Probably best to make a new thread with pics of what you have asking for input, really, as 72v is pretty high for a 1500w system. Maybe you meant 52v?

Anyway other considerations are what will physically fit within the space you have (this is critical to know beforehand, we got dimensions measurements on each pack so you can make a mockup and see if it fits in frame) and what use case you have for the bike, for example if looking for range over top speed I would probably go with this 28ah 52v pack https://lunacycle.com/triangle-52v-p...ge-high-power/

Paxtana...hey I checked the label on the controller and it is a 72v with current:35+1A what battery pack would u suggest for this kit that would also be compatible with a kit that has more wattage since I'm planning on upgrading soon thanks

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok so that's ~2500w. Watts are volts times amps, 72x35.
        I would go with this https://lunacycle.com/72v-panasonic-pf-11-6ah/
        then put another identical pack in parallel with our xt90 parallel adapter if I was to switch to a controller with higher current later.
        That way it is easily upgradeable.
        But like I said, this entirely depends on whether it fits your frame.

Paxtana....thanks for the suggestion what would the range be in miles I'll be able to travel??? And if not that much would this one work even though it' not 72 volts or would you recommend a 72v instead
      60v 24ah Panasonic ebike pack. Triangle 18650 premium cell packs fit perfectly balanced inside your ebikes frame. Luna Cycle is the #1 maker of triangle packs on the planet.

Comment

• ykick
        ykick commented
        Editing a comment
        When it comes to bicycles Watts is Watts regardless if it’s an electric motor, wet fuel engine or your legs providing the power.

Average upright bicycle riding smooth level road on a calm day requires “about” 400-500W to push 20 MPH of wind/air out of the way. 30 MPH requires about 1000W, 35 MPH about 1500W. Basic laws of physics regardless of the type of power used to overcome the air resistance.

Sure, there’s many other dynamics. Rolling resistance, weight, grades but for a baseline average those wattage figures are pretty close.

72V 11.6Ah pack contains 835Wh of energy. Using the above consumption figures on level road, calm day, that 72V pack can probably average 25-28 MPH for roughly 1 hour. Say 835W for an hour of runtime. The 60V 24Ah pack contains about 1440Wh so slightly less than double the potential range of the 72V 835Wh pack.

To answer your question, at that speed under stated “ideal” conditions, about 25-28 miles range for 835Wh or about 40-45 miles range for the larger 1440Wh pack.

But, and the big BUT - what if you’re riding into a 10 MPH headwind? Now effective road speed would be compromised down to around 15 MPH for that 835W of power. In that scenario, only about 15 miles range.

It’s a wildly varying number when it comes to potential EV range and the industry hasn’t done us any favors inflating range numbers over the years.

Wind is the main culprit of power requirements. Stay under 20 MPH wind isn’t that much of an issue except if it’s blowing hard in your face.

Weight isn’t even that much issue once it gets rolling on flat terrain. However, pushing weight up hills will certainly demand more power than less weight for the same hill climb at comparable speed.

Welcome to the world of EV’s. eBikes are a great way to learn about and become more accustomed to the dynamic concepts and performance envelope of traveling on stored electrical energy.
        Last edited by ykick; 12-08-2017, 05:30 AM.

For the crusher 2 or the fusion crusher 3, is there an option for the 34ah battery pack over the 24ah battery pack? Does the 34Ah pack use 21700 cells vs 18650 cells in the 24Ah pack?

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        We don't have a 34 for those bikes sorry.

Hello. My bbshd is giving no power. The battery is at 52v and the diplay powers on with no error message. It started to cut the power sometimes I rode and over the course of two week it no longer gives any power. Tried to plug in the trottle but still it doesn't moove. Tried to open the controller to check for any loose wires but they were all connected. Not even in "walk" it gives power. What could be the problem?

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        If you have a program cable plug it in for display bypass as shown in our docs.
        If still no joy and you have unplugged/replugged connector between controller/motor (specifically phase wires) then swap out the controller

I bought a Smart Pie that I have been using for months. Yesterday when I was about to go home, the smart pie will not stay powered on. When I power the battery, the battery level indicator on the throttle, along with my lights have power for a second, but then shut off immediately. I am measuring 52.2 Volts on my battery and if I connect my headlight direct to the battery, it works fine. What can I troubleshoot further?

Battery by itself 52.2v
      Battery plugged into controller: 1.5v
      Removing the controller: 24.6v

Once I disconnect the multimeter from the battery and reconnect, it is back to 52.2

Last edited by rpage84; 12-08-2017, 12:32 PM.

Comment

I wore out my first BBSHD Mighty Mini on my fatbike (nothing but trail riding with it), well at least it lost a couple teeth, on opposite sides, though it has yet to drop a chain, and so I ordered a new one. But, I received one for a BBSO2, no big deal, but when I went to order one for sure time for a BBSHD, the LUNA site wouldn't let me click on it and then go to buy it.

Does that mean it's out of stock?

Comment

Hi.
        i desperately need help with my new ebike. It has a BBSHD motor with a 52v battery. I have the c961 display. Te bike itself is a Trek Marlin 5.

The problem that I am having is that in the pedal assist mode, it keeps turning on and off. It's not consistent at all. For example, if I have it in PAS 9, it will give a quick burst then turn off. Then again another quick burst and turn off.
        How do I make it so that it is consistent?

Comment

Working...
      X