Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my 52v Panasonic Shark Pack 13.5ah charge port is loose, the female part wiggles inside the battery and has issues making contact so that the charger starts charging. What is the fix? Thanks!

Comment

Regarding 52v auxiliary battery supply for LED lighting and a 5v USB converter.
    I am considering using one of these 12vdc switched multi-tap adapters.
    Do you think this switch will work with our 52v systems? (low 2-4amps)
    If not, do you have any recommendations?
    Also, can I use a standard 12v inline DC fuse?
    5.5x2.1mm DC Power Cable Splitter 1 Female to 4 Male with 1 switch. 1:4 Splitter DC Power Cable x1. Cable Specifications: main 20awg, sub 22awg. Item Included. | eBay!
    Last edited by etriker; 01-03-2018, 08:55 AM.

Comment

• etriker
      etriker commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, actually on the forums it is standard practice to power lights by using the charger XT60; fused of course. Both front & rear lights have an input of 12-80v micro-inputs. Very low current draw. The USB converter is rated at 3A.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      It's not about the current draw. A short on the charge circuit would not have BMS cutoff. If you want to use a fuse and hope the fuse burns out before you do irreversible damage to your battery if there's a short, then that's your choice, but it's not something we can advise on due to liability.

• etriker
      etriker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the solid advise Paxtana. How about tapping in a small parallel fused circuit on the final output to the motor/controller, after the remote on/off solid-state switch?

The plug on my black killer whale pack seems to be stuck. I had to open up the hard case to even get it off the frame and am having no luck getting it to unplug from the socket. What would you recommend doing?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Which plug are you referring to? If it's really stuck, that may be a sign of a spark weld occurring from a loose connection.

Sorry for the late reply, it is this plug

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      What exactly are we looking at here? There's an anderson on the end, is this your discharge wiring on the cradle removed from cradle and removed from the pack?

• Emiel
      Emiel commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, this is what should be at the end of the cradle where the battery slides in and out of when removed from the cradle. However, it is stuck and cannot be removed, so I had to remove the hard case so that I could unscrew the bolts that were holding it onto the frame.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like you might have to force it with pliers or something.

+Hi Guys, Had my BBSHD for less than a month and it's intermittently showing error 12

After research i find Erics post here:
    Error 04 Throttle no homing, Unplug the throttle, if the message clears up, it's time to replace it! Error 05 Throttle abnormality: Throttle maybe damaged and not working, or the throttle may only work intermittently, Check throttle casing for damage, check wiring for a loose connection to the battery. Sometimes might happen

Error 12 Current sensor abnormality, Possible shunt blown in the controller, contact your supplier

No pics as yet

Comment

• intenserider
      intenserider commented
      Editing a comment
      Tried:
      Disconnecting brake sensors
      Different screen
      Different EB-BUS harness
      Checking all cables for pinches/ damage etc

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Probably gonna have to open it up & inspect for any visual damage like scorched windings or loose connections inside or water exposure. What was your ride like before it happened? Was the motor exposed to water before any manual waterproofing was done?

Can you also run the motor off of just the LCD display. Try that first and see if PAS still works, then add the throttle and test that.
      Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 01-04-2018, 09:49 AM.

• intenserider
      intenserider commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi thanks for that, All rides previous to the error were dry but I think I might know what the issue is, just moved over to backpack battery so i reckon i have a bad connection and it's reducing current somewhat- I'll exhaust all possibles before i go for a warranty replace.
      As I have loads of experience with a BBS02 i wouldn't think my winding would be at fault- it's only got 100 miles on it or so

Thanks for the solid advise Paxtana. Your thoughts on tapping in a small parallel fused circuit on the final battery output to the motor/controller, after the remote on/off solid-state switch? (52v+)
    Last edited by etriker; 01-04-2018, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes that would be fine.

I want to buy a new battery pack for my "Ebike Kit 1000 watt Waterproof Connectors Hub Motor Conversion." I looked at the following packs on the Luna Cycle web site, but neither of them is currently available.
    • 48v Panasonic 17.5ah Jumbo Shark Pack with Charger
    • 48v Pansonic GA 17.5ah Black Killer Whale Ebike Pack

How long will it be before I can order one of those? I would also consider at 52 V pack, such as the 52v Panasonic 13.5ah Shark Pack. Would that be a good choice for my set up?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Probably will be a while before we have those restocked, sorry. Don't have a specific ETA as of yet. Yes you could use a 52v shark if with that kit.

I have a Sondors 36V battery I purchased from Luna. It is not in my possession so I can't check the output, it is at UVIC with my daughter. Does the BMS of this battery have a safety shutoff that will disable the battery if it is shorted? How would my daughter reset it if it does? She tells me the bike isn't working at all so my first thing I want to check is the battery output. She has no multimeter but I know someone who does that is near her. I'm going to get him to go have a look at the bike but if there is a battery reset technique and that is the problem I could get this fixed without owing beers to my buddy.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      First thing is to check the contacts, ensure it was waterproofed if exposed to road salt or oceanwater, make sure it was reinforced, check how the wiring connectors are wired up to the controller as well.

For something like discharge contacts you can tell without a multimeter if a high resistance connection is present since the power will have bottlenecked and essentially melted/damaged the connector.

This can happen from the pack bouncing up/off the cradle momentarily (i.e., rough riding with no reinforcing strap, bungee, ziptie etc), or salty water building up and causing a short from altered electrical conductivity, (typically showing whitish residue of saltwater, though you might also see green on the contact itself)

Yes you can reset the BMS by unplugging the pack and plugging it into the charger, or possibly by jumpstarting depending on the BMS used.
      Distributors and builders of high power electric bikes and trail bikes plus parts

You want to check that it's not shorting out from this sort of damage before doing that though, or the jumpstart will just make things worse.

This guide covers 3 related topics: Charger issues, battery issues and miscellaneous testing procedures. Highly advisable to read each section fully to help understand how your ebike works and basics of troubleshooting. Post #1 focuses on chargers, Post 2 and 3 are about battery, Post#4 is about misc questions and answers as

Just got a Sur Ron and had requested the removal of speed limiter, but it was not completed. Called in and the phone tech couldn't help. Not impressed with his gumption as customer support, didn't even offer to ask a co-worker and get back to me. Also not impressed with his lack of technical knowledge, but I understand that it's tough to find enthusiasts for every staff position.

Help me out, this is an off-road bike and 25mph is gutless.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry about that, all support works remote so we can offer the best product pricing, result is that on new products if we do not already have documentation they won't know much. Typically on a new product it's best to use email or forum since we can get back to you after researching the answer rather than being put on the spot in realtime.

I can look into it and get back to you. Can I get your order# for reference?

I don't have the order number handy, but can relay it is performing as expected now. There is a green with black stripe wire loop on the bundle that loops near the battery monitor plug. This wire needs to be continuous and not cut. The battery also seems to communicate a limp mode when the state of charge is low, preventing total cutoff but keeping the cell voltages in a healthy position.
    Last edited by Johnrobholmes; 01-05-2018, 12:38 PM.

Comment

I have purchased the Bafang G510 Ultra Drive 1000W some time ago directly from China. I see now that Luna sells it here in the US. My kit came without the throttle and I would like to add it to my drive. But my main cable harness has only connectors for the control unit and left and right brakes. Luna kit apparently has main cable harness that has one more connector for the throttle. Would it be possible to use the Luna main cable harness with my drive to add the throttle? I reverse engineered my cable harness and found out that there is one (blue) unused wire that does not connect to any of the connector pins for control unit or brakes. I wonder if that could be the wire for the throttle (other wires being the common and +5V). It just dead ends in the harness. If that is indeed the case, I could just modify my harness myself, but I don't really want to apply throttle output voltage to the blue wire without knowing for sure.
      Any help will be appreciated

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry John we cannot support products bought elsewhere, we have no reference documentation on it..

Hi, I'd like to buy this:
      In stock for only $20. This allows you to change your factory settings and hot rod program your Bafang BBSHD or BBS02

but there's no buy button (tried in firefox and on a phone). Is this available?

Thanks,

John

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        It's out of stock, I believe.

2 recent 1000W builds on Trek Rosco 8's. Luna BBSHD kits with C961 controllers. Setting maximum speed on controller successful when choosing 16mph and up. The C961 allows me to set the speed below 9 mph but the motor does not cut out at those speeds. Why does the controller not connect to motor for low speeds? Set at any speed below 12 mph and it will always go 16.5 mph on level 1' 2 or 3. For technical hill climbs over big rock all I want is assist at 4 to 6 mph. Does this always require a hard reset with the computer?

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably a flaw inherent in the design where it uses magnet/sensor for picking up speed info. You might try programming it differently instead of using the display, or perhaps gearing it lower.

• KenB
        KenB commented
        Editing a comment
        I take it then that no one has had an issue before with maximum speed settings with the BBSHD and the C961 controller. Certainly the speed is registered via magnet/sensor unit but there should be an electronic control over motor speed and power. In the 2nd easiest ring on the rear cassette, 10th of 11 gears, it still does 15 miles per hour or better and why it stops at that speed I am not certain. I need to read and research this more in order to make this work. Thanks for the thought though.

Please explain how the pedal asset works on the Cyclone 3000w. Must the throttle be used for the PAS to work or does it function as the PAS on my BULLS EVO 27.5+?

Want to put the Cyclone 3000w on a KHS 4 Seasons Fat Bike XL (21").

Thank you
      Last edited by idahoskiguy; 01-06-2018, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Hello Everyone,

I would like to say thanks in advance for any help or advice I might receive from this forum.

I live an work in Anchorage. There are a lot nice dual and single track near my house.

I currently have a radrover that have about 400 mile on. Nice bike love the riding position.

And how smooth it rides. Its also great on the single tracks. But it feels vary heavy and stinks in the hills which there a lot of. I also have a trax excailber 6 BBS02 with a 52v 11ah battery.

Got about 500 miles on it. Love the mid drive. But I have put two new chains and new cassette in that time. Is that normal? (maybe it my size) And the power is hard to manage on technical single tracks. But it is great every where else! The riding position not as nice as the rover (maybe some risers) and it doesn’t ride as nice as the rover in rocky terrain. Which I seem to find a lot of. I would like to find a bike that best address these issue as I see them. Preferable a complete a complete bike. But I am not scared if a kit

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Chain wear depends on how you are riding it, how you have the cassette set up, what sort of chainline you have and whether you keep the derailer properly tuned, and whether you are using a gearsensor. I would read the knowledge base for more info on these subjects if needed.

Sounds like a bike with fatter tires and full suspension would be more suitable for what you want. We sell several and the possibilities of using a kit on building this sort of bike are limitless.
    Working...
    X