Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Everyone,

I would like to say thanks in advance for any help or advice I might receive from this forum.

I live an work in Anchorage. There are a lot nice dual and single track near my house.

I currently have a radrover that have about 400 mile on. Nice bike love the riding position.

And how smooth it rides. Its also great on the single tracks. But it feels vary heavy and stinks in the hills which there a lot of. I also have a trax excailber 6 BBS02 with a 52v 11ah battery.

Got about 500 miles on it. Love the mid drive. But I have put two new chains and new cassette in that time. Is that normal? (maybe it my size) And the power is hard to manage on technical single tracks. But it is great every where else! The riding position not as nice as the rover (maybe some risers) and it doesn’t ride as nice as the rover in rocky terrain. Which I seem to find a lot of. I would like to find a bike that best address these issue as I see them. Preferable a complete a complete bike. But I am not scared if a kit

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Chain wear depends on how you are riding it, how you have the cassette set up, what sort of chainline you have and whether you keep the derailer properly tuned, and whether you are using a gearsensor. I would read the knowledge base for more info on these subjects if needed.

Sounds like a bike with fatter tires and full suspension would be more suitable for what you want. We sell several and the possibilities of using a kit on building this sort of bike are limitless.

Error 08 controler report
    Usually it's just a loose wing nut behind the handlebars

I was having battery connector issues so I removed the controller to solder the Jay-Zman and shrink wrap it
    after reassembly I for the 'error 08 controller report'
    remove controller and inspect all connections I notice a cracked wire with some broken strands on one of the 4 pin PAS connector
    I removed all the white rubber cement and unscrewed the tiny PAS circut board that was mounted by the main steel gear

I soldered the board to a short lead on the 4 pin plug going to the controller same 'error 08'
    I tried with another controller still no luck

what should I check?
    Last edited by Robert Larrison; 01-06-2018, 10:43 PM.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      If this only happened after disconnecting the controller I would do a check that the connectors are connecting, making sure the wires are fully seated in the connectors, maybe doing a continuity test for each wire. If all else fails there's always the option to replace the core.

Thanx Paxtana I cleaned and straightened the contracts and tried with the controller open when I put pressure on the left side of the 5pin hall connector plug its working
    defiantly the pins

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_10725.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	893.1 KB
ID:	55246 I got my BBS02 kit installed and couldn't be happier! It really rips! One problem though, the C961 display expects a wide handlebar diameter, but my handlebar stays close to the standard 1" even near the center (see photo). Is there a rubber spacer I should have? Have others experienced and solved this problem?

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        I would just use silicone tape.

• intramorph
        intramorph commented
        Editing a comment
        I used one of the rubber handlebars that were already on my bike i cut two pieces out and that fixed it perfectly. Use a rubber grip that you don't need. Simple fix

Yes, mine came with a spacer.

Comment

Originally posted by mtm408 View Post
        Yes, mine came with a spacer.
        Mine did not (I double-checked). The most recent review on the product at (Rick on 12/27/2017) says he didn't get a spacer either. Maybe it's missing from a recent batch? https://lunacycle.com/parts/bafang-p...-1000-display/

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	35
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	55253
        Attached Files

Comment

• mtm408
          mtm408 commented
          Editing a comment
          My mistake, I have a C965, not a C961. Making a spacer shouldn’t be too difficult. Rubber tape would work.

Latest batch of C961's from Bafang didn't come with rubber spacers unfortunately. Try using an old cut-up handlebar for a perfect replacement fit.

Comment

• intramorph
          intramorph commented
          Editing a comment
          Old rubber handlebars work perfect for this application. It's what i did without thinking twice about it.

I have a Luna BBS02B motor with a 48V that has been fine for 18 months and 2200 miles. Today after riding 5 miles the PAS seems to be working part-time putting out about 25-100 Watts in all PAS levels along with a slight clicking sound coming from the motor area. I rarely use the throttle but was forced to use it for acceleration today for an additional 25 miles. It works normally at all times and does not seem to have the clicking sound. I have read several blogs with total loss of PAS and pointing to mosfits and/or a controller problem. Please advise on the problem.

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          If it's only PAS and throttle works fine then it's likely an issue with either a connector or the PAS board.

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...bbshd-or-bbs02

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...t-still-moving

Probably want to start by checking the connectors are fine, the wiring going to each pin are fine, no water or salt has gotten into the controller/connectors/housing, and if you find any of these to be the issue address it best you can. If none of these are the issue might want to swap the controller. You could also try swapping the board: https://california-ebike.com/shop/pa...bbs0102-bbshd/ ..or just swap out the core..or even swap in a BBSHD bare motor if you wanted to.

Regardless of the cause/resolution do keep in mind if swapping out components to take the time to use dielectric grease on connectors and maybe a bit of silicone on gaskets, especially with it being winter and there being so much slush and road salt on the ground.

Ok...getting ready to finalize an order.

I am 6'5" and about 200 lb

Here is the donor bike...22" gravity fat bike

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...IsAHAqQ4q1pHCf PEPnlOwzBcIj6yGElwU2EbaPpkpbC62vV6afbx5YoAwTQ8QaAu D0EALw_wcB

Planning on going with the following...

Bafang BBSHD
        Hot Rod Program
        73-100 BB
        Hydraulic and Disk Brake Sensor
        Luna 42T sprocket (wondering if I should go with the 40T for a bit more torque?? advice???)
        Gear sensor for derailer
        Right hand twist throttle
        52v Shark battery (QUESTION: will the connectors on the battery match the BBSHD? If not, what connectors will I need???)

Thanks very much!!
        Last edited by psuholet; 01-08-2018, 02:01 AM.

Comment

• psuholet
          psuholet commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the info.
          Quick additional...
          The donor bike comes with a 22/32T Crankset.
          Shouldn't I go with something that is as close to that as possible?
          p

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          Not really since the offset will be more important than the sprocket size.

• intramorph
          intramorph commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Nice Bike... you will love the bbshd on that bad boy =)

Any chance that much needed, hardened mount bracket for the Cyclone will be available for Fat Bike bb's (100mm)?!!

Comment

• jimmytwowheels
          jimmytwowheels commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll take that as a "no", then...?

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          This thread is for technical troubleshooting questions mainly. None of us here know anything about unreleased products from LunaCycle. Eric will usually announce that stuff via Facebook or the Website when he's ready to. It's not really something we're liable to answer.
          Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 01-09-2018, 09:51 AM.

• jimmytwowheels
          jimmytwowheels commented
          Editing a comment
          This is where the Luna "ask any question about our stuff" sent me...! I'll try to ask Luna directly, then...

Hello Everyone,

I would like to say thanks in advance for any help or advice I might receive from this forum.

I live an work in Anchorage. There are a lot nice dual and single track near my house.

I currently have a radrover that have about 400 mile on. Nice bike love the riding position.

And how smooth it rides. Its also great on the single tracks. But it feels vary heavy and stinks in the hills which there a lot of. I also have a trax excailber 6 BBS02 with a 52v 11ah battery.

Got about 500 miles on it. Love the mid drive. But I have put two new chains and new cassette in that time. Is that normal? (maybe it my size) And the power is hard to manage on technical single tracks. But it is great every where else! The riding position not as nice as the rover (maybe some risers) and it doesn’t ride as nice as the rover in rocky terrain. Which I seem to find a lot of. I would like to find a bike that best address these issue as I see them. Preferable a complete a complete bike. But I am not scared if a kit

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          I believe we answered this question when you asked it couple days ago..

Chain wear depends on how you are riding it, how you have the cassette set up, what sort of chainline you have and whether you keep the derailer properly tuned, and whether you are using a gearsensor. I would read the knowledge base for more info on these subjects if needed.

Sounds like a bike with fatter tires and full suspension would be more suitable for what you want. We sell several and the possibilities of using a kit on building this sort of bike are limitless.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the mid-drive's need for a high RPM when climbing a significant hill. I understand why it's necessary, however; I'd like to know simply what's involved with going up a steep hill with throttle only. Or should I always be pedaling instead? I've obviously not even ridden a mid-drive before. Just laying out my first build. I installed a Nuvinci N360 IGH.
        Last edited by etriker; 01-09-2018, 10:57 AM.

Comment

• etriker
          etriker commented
          Editing a comment
          TX HV & Paxtana, VG rules of thumb & simple too. What I'm asking is whether or not it makes a difference if I pedal or not going up a steep hill. Ordinarily it would be a pain to shift regular gears but I'm using a Nuvinci N360 IGH.
          Last edited by etriker; 01-09-2018, 02:12 PM.

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Depending on how you have it geared you may not even be able to keep up with how fast the chainring is spinning when going up a steep hill.
          And that's sort of one of those situations where you need to use your best judgement whether it makes sense to upshift just a bit so you can contribute work, or just keep it in the lowest gear possible and let the motor do it's thing.

By the way Nuvinci 360 is rated for only a fraction of the power our motors put out. Maybe better to use a Nexus 3.

https://electricbike-blog.com/2016/0...s-of-them-all/
          https://electricbike-blog.com/2016/0...at-2400-watts/
          https://www.electricbike.com/mid-drive-kit-igh/

• etriker
          etriker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea I know, It's rated at only a ridiculous 350 watts. But, I bought it without knowing that spec. I've been repeatedly assured on the forums that I'll be okay as long as I don't do any high torque takeoffs from a standstill and just shift when not under load. So, just shift w/o throttle applied.

i have a luna crusher2 2017 version built on a Giant Anthem 3 frame. i believe it comes with the 30t chainring. can i swap that out for this 42t/48t one? https://lunacycle.com/luna-eclipse-c...for-the-bbshd/ . will it fit as is or with a spacer? which will be better or are they close enough that it won't matter.
        Will these fit or not at all? i'm looking for ability to pedal at higher speeds. as is right now it seems to top out at around 24 ish mph and the pedaling gets too fast/loose. i want to pedal more.

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          It can work with a couple mods. You would need to measure how much clearance you have for a larger chainring and how much the chainstay sticks out.

That's kind of a drag though so p I would just go with 42 (not 48 as you will lose a lot of low end torque and it's stressful for the motor) and include a chainring spacer. Also if you need to use the spacer, maybe plan on getting/using slightly longer chainring bolts depending on how much spacers you need.

I presume this is a nobrainer...but...
        i will be adding a Bafang HD to a Gravity Monster and the B.B. spec notes VP Cartridge 100MM/144MM.
        i ordered the 100 mm Bafang.
        Correct one???
        Thanks!
        VP CARTRIDGE 100MM/144MM

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't know what those specs are supposed to mean, is the 100mm supposed to be their stated shell size?

Our documentation recommends buying the kit after buying the bike so you can personally measure it, since spec sheets are not always up to date it's something you want to personally verify on each bike before proceeding.

Unfortunately all anybody will be able to tell you with regards to this is maybe it will work.
          If not don't stress it too much just get in touch with us and we'll help out. Try not to scratch up the axle of the motor when inserting it in case we need to do a size exchange.

• psuholet
          psuholet commented
          Editing a comment
          Perfecto!
          Yeah...better to wait..but I’m obviously eager.
          I ordered yesterday, and the bike should be here tomorrow.
          I’m not sure how fast u ship..but I will advise ASAP if there is an issue.
          Thanks...

I just hooked up the programming cable for the first time today to my laptop. Runs Windows 7 64 bit. It didn't know how to install the serial drivers so, while the laptop recognized the existence of a USB device in the plug, it didn't know what to do with it.

Where can I get Windows USB drivers for the Luna BBSHD programming cable?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          There really isn't any. Trust me, I've tried. Windows should detect it automatically and find the appropriate driver if you're connected to the internet after leaving it connected for a few minutes. If it's not finding the proper driver, then try a different PC. It can be kinda finicky for some folks, especially if you're not computer savvy. That's why we have the Black Box programmer now:

https://lunacycle.com/luna-black-box...02-programmer/

• MoneyPit
          MoneyPit commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah! The laptop was not hooked into my home wifi and that explains why the driver search failed instantly. I know how to fix that. Thx!

FYI I am computer savvy (professional programmer) and I didn't buy the Black Box because you cannot download a tune and store it, strictly speaking. You can bring in the one currently on the bike but thats it. Can't store iterations of it. Been there and done that and its a recipe for data loss. Although I understand that you can only go so far with custom software. If you changed that to give me the ability to name a tune and store a few of them I'd be an instant buyer as the ability to easily port along a tuner and debug on the road is obvious.
      Working...
      X