Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought I asked above?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      The remote is not usually used on BBSxx, there's no need. The display has its own on/off switch and the latest DPC18 is very waterproof.
      But yes the button on a remote could get water in it, on it, etc. But in my experience it's not usually the button that fails if the switch has a problem.

Excellent because I am going to go with the DPC-18. So I can leave my battery plugged in. The connectors are going to be up in the hard case and no way do I want to unscrew a side panel to unplug lol. The case will get the Rosenberg charge receptacle!

Comment

Imagine my disappointment to wait like a kid on xmas morning for my BBSHD bundle to arrive and see the notation on the packing list that LUNA WRENCH BBSHD AND BBS02 MID DRIVE INSTALLATION TOOL will be shipped separately?!

When can I expect this to arrive??

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably within a week or two. It seems they've already made label for it though it has not been picked up yet and is not in usps system.

In the meantime it would be very doable to use a hammer and flatblade screwdriver to tighten the grey nut, and just leave off the black nut until the tool arrives.
        Just set the flatblade against the ridge on the nut, and tap it with the hammer in clockwise direction. The black lockring acts as a jam nut, nothing more.

• psuholet
        psuholet commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok...I will try that.
        Note: would have been nice to provide notice of the backorder before the rest of the order was delivered.
        Thanks...p

I have a 52 volt shark, believe it's the 13.5 amp, it's about 16 months old. One of the 4 terminal connections has worn down and is not making sufficient contact with the downtube connection. In fact the corresponding cradle terminal is also worn down showing copper on the tip rather than silver. Is there a fix to just swap out the 4 terminal connections on the battery?

Comment

• max_volt
        max_volt commented
        Editing a comment
        You may want to get a new empty case with the cradle.

• Scoonie
        Scoonie commented
        Editing a comment
        Get an upgraded connector when they become available.

• Scoonie
        Scoonie commented
        Editing a comment
        I read back and you let the maker know before a decent warranty period would have ended and were sent a new BMS. I wouldn't think both BMS would discharge to deep, but I'd think this is a seller problem to correct. Good luck!

What is the name of the red connector that hooks up to the battery? I'm going to see if I can find an adapter instead of soldering a xt90 like I tried last time and did a poor job.

Comment

I have several questions. i will put them all in one post. Is the the Ultra external mounting plate available in steel. From Luna or anyone?. Can it be available? Is there another controller coming for the BBSHD for a 72V solution. Will it be able to also be used with 52V batteries with some flux weakening for extra speed. What is the timetable for a new controller? Eric eluded to a new display for those that don't want to buy a CA3. When will this display be available. Whatever comes down the line, cruise control would be very nice.

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        No ETA on display yet, sorry.

• commuter ebikes
        commuter ebikes commented
        Editing a comment
        I find the cruise control on the CA V3 unusable because it has the motor cut out intermittently in order to reduce speed. Very annoying. I can’t imagine that there’s anybody that uses it.

• Scoonie
        Scoonie commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like a programming CA3 issue, see the master thread on es dot com.

I would like to know if you can control the BBSHD with half twist throttle at a slow walking speed for maneuvering around obstacles like rocks on a flat trail.
      FatPat

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        Kind of, there is already a walking option available on the display by holding down the "-" button. It puts a minimal 2-3 amps out and gently rides the motor forward at a walking pace.

I've been running a 52V/13.5Ah shark I obtained from you all and I have a question.

When I look at the discharge connector on the battery I see one of four pins is longer and I'm presuming that provides for an internal pre-charge resistor to prevent arcing when the battery is plugged in - is this the case?

I ask because my battery *always* arcs quite loudly when the battery is plugged into the cradle even if I go very slow and I sure would like to eliminate this. I tried putting an XT90-S connector in line and plugging the XT90-S in after plugging the battery in but that only served to blow out the XT90-S pre-charge resistor and make a mess of that connector so even after replacing it I am reticent to plug it in last...

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't believe there is a pre-charge resistor but yes, all Shark packs have this one longer pin. It is part of the design from the case manufacturer (aka hailong-1)

• AZguy
        AZguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks - I'll get around to opening the pack one of these days and poke around - perhaps try putting in a pre-charge resistor...

I have Luna 52V Carbon Shark pack 13.5AH that I bought just over a year ago. Last week the battery voltage suddenly dropped mid 50s to below 40V. Nothing worked to charge or jump start it, so I took the case apart and measured the cells across the 14 points. I found that 13 of the banks had 3.8V, but one bank had -3.2V (yes, negative!). Do you offer any repair service to replace those 4 bad cells of my 14s4p pack? I guess I could do it myself, but I'd need to buy a spot welder.

I should add that I always charged to only 80 or 90% using the advanced charger, but I often run it down very low. Perhaps that is not good for it to run down below 10% regularly (close to 45V).

Comment

• AZguy
        AZguy commented
        Editing a comment
        The always charge to 80 to 90% is a very bad practice. Every few runs you need to charge to 100% in order to balance the cells. If you have really never been charging to 100% this would cause what you are seeing...

• nswenson520
        nswenson520 commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, I charge to 100% approximately every 7 to 10 charges,about the time I see that final charge voltage drifts down a noticeable amount from the target voltage (ie 55.5 instead of 56.2 when charging 52V pack to 80%). Perhaps my pack has had issue for awhile, as it started drifting down like that quite often if I let is sit after charging.

• Scoonie
        Scoonie commented
        Editing a comment
        If everyonoe insisted on balance BMS it would improve the situation.

When do you expect more 52 volt batteries??

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Likely within a few weeks.

Ordered a bbshd kit with 52v 13.5 shark pack and 52v charger. Charger has xt60 connector and battery has barrel connector (2.1 mm?) and you guys are out of adaptors. Why would you send a kit with a charger that doesn’t even plug into the battery, and what do you recommend I do about that?

Comment

• psuholet
        psuholet commented
        Editing a comment
        I received my bundle order earlier this week and it DID include the adapter...thankfully! I had already order an XT60 pigtail and some solderless barrel connectors for quicker delivery from Amazon Prime "just in case".

• Calgary commuter
        Calgary commuter commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Paxtana - I bought a full kit with the battery and charger and no it's not in the box (I took apart all the padding and looked at every nook and cranny). Luna's website says no adaptors at the moment - as of right now I have a bike, a motor, a battery and no way to use it.

• calfee20
        calfee20 commented
        Editing a comment
        How about this. https://lunacycle.com/solderless-barrel-connector/ Ooops I see paxtana said the same thing............Read then post.

I have a Luna display for my new Luna Hot Rod controller for my Sondors FatX. Everything is working great. Love the power. I cannot figure out how to turn on the backlight of the LCD display for night viewing. Can this be done? Thank you. Paul S

Comment

• rahimh5
        rahimh5 commented
        Editing a comment
        I know for some of the displays all you have to do is just hold the '+' button. I do not know which exact model you have but i would expect for it to be the same.

Hi,
      I have the 52v Panasonic 13.5ah GA Shark Battery Pack and the BBSHD on a Trek Marlin 5 bike.
      My question is how much rain can the build handle? I drove to school today and it is pouring outside. Please let me know.. Thanks :)

Comment

Originally posted by SRW1989
      The screws that attached my battery connector/holder to my bike squeezed through the holes (see picture). I also find this piece to be pretty flimsy. Is there a metal one that I can purchase or anywhere I can repurchase this item? It has fallen off twice now and I'm unsure on how to solve this issue.

Comment

Two quick questions about the Double Gear/ Double Torque hub motor kit before I buy. What is the approximate top speed of this motor in a 20" wheel (2" tire) with a 48 volt and 52 volt battery. Will this motor hold up okay the weight of a tandem when using a 20" rear wheel?

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          It's pretty slow in a 20" rim. You might be better off with our 6T Mac motor in that 20" rim, as that is a fast wind which is perfect for small rims.

• BK Xray
          BK Xray commented
          Editing a comment
          I am going for torque over speed. When loaded for touring we are pushing close to 480 pounds. Our cruising speed is typically 15-17mph (1000 watt DD hub with 20" wheel). That is all I am looking for in speed but I want something that won't break with close to 500 pounds. I would consider the Mac in a 10T or 12T rear but a 6T won't have enough hill climbing power.
      Working...
      X