Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Lunacycle kit that I put together and has been working fine, it is a pedal assist mid-drive kit. I just traveled cross-country with it on the back of my car (battery disconnected and put inside, electrical connections taped up). Now when I go to use it the pedal assist and throttle work fine, as soon as I start going up a steep hill the motor shuts off, any ideas?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like either motor overheating or intermittent power delivery issue.
      Make sure the battery is charged, check that the contacts are not messed up, and keep in mind lithium batteries stored below freezing will have more sag (and therefore will hit LVC faster than they would otherwise)

• nbmoretto
      nbmoretto commented
      Editing a comment
      paxtana I don't think that is the issue. If I start off on ground and go into an incline the motor instantly stops working (no overheating or anything). On flat ground the throttle works perfectly fine. If I use the throttle going uphill then it works but there is a clicking noise, almost as if it was skipping a gear and not grabbing.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you able to power it back up immediately? Are you downshifting? Is the battery stored at room temp?

Anything mechanical is a separate issue if it's not overheating. Probably just a needs derailer tuned or chainline adjusted but could be something else like needing grease or failing clutch. Usually easiest to address the easy stuff first though.

I have BBSHD kit with 52V sharkpack. I would like to put the battery into long-term storage and, thus, keep it in a range of 51.8V (3.7*14) to 53.2V (3.8*14). Unfortunately, forgetful me removed the kit from the bike without realizing that the battery was fully charged about two months ago! (I was absolutely certain it was half empty, oh well...). I don't own a multimeter

1. How do I drain down battery to the range I need to?
    2. I know it is very hard to tell, what what % of battery lifespan is lost when stored fully charged over a period of two months?

Many thanks!

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      I would really recommend getting a multimeter, it is an essential part of any ebike owner's toolkit.

Turn on the bike, depending on the bike display if you have one that displays voltage you may be able to just lay the bike on its side and put a rubberband on the throttle, it'll take several hours but eventually the voltage will drop. If you do not have a model with voltage display and you have a Luna Advanced you can check it on your charger periodically while draining it down.

How much is lost is not easily answered. Extensive research has gone into that question. Click here for more details.

I can't charge my battery. When I first got it I didn't know it needed a cyclic adapter to allow the charger to work. It charged once with the adapter now it won't charge with or without the adapter. The charger just cycles with the cyclic adapter. I finally got the voltage down to 41 volts and it would cut off the controler at that voltage. I'm sure that has something to do with the programed low voltage cutoff. By now I can't ride my bike and I am now using it for transportation. I just wish the battery would charge for a second time.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      If you mean it is clicking, just add the fix adapter and it should resolve the issue. Even if it does click it's still charging just extremely slowly (basically a trickle charge) until it gets above that voltage threshold.. You can just leave the battery plugged into the charger and it should resolve itself even without the cycling adapter since it will eventually get to high enough charge that the charger goes at full speed.

• Z3r019
      Z3r019 commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe I should get another cyclic adapter. Mine must be broken. I'm kinda leaning towards buying a new charger. I'm not satisfied with the constant cycling it's annoying.

I just want to make sure this is correct:

I'm in Canada, and the shipping charges to send a pre-built bike from Luna here is $500. The shipping charges to send a kit over is $75. Is this correct? That is a massive price to pay for shipping... and Canadian import duties are 13% on a pre-built bike as opposed to just 5% on bike parts...

Would like clarification on this. I'm ready to build my own bike but want to get the facts straight first.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      This thread is more for technical questions than sales, but yes, it is expensive to internationally ship prebuilt electric bicycles.
      Especially expensive because it is heavy, fragile, and "dangerous goods" due to the lithium.
      If you want to save on shipping then a kit is definitely the way to go. Makes a lot of sense if you already have a good donor bike picked out.

i just got the bbs02 kit in the mail yesterday, with the gear sensor. is there an installation video you guys have that is better than the useless one on gearsensor.com? that one doesnt even have sound.

thanks!

Comment

and it looks like some 'caps' come with the gear sensor after you cut the cable to put on there...no caps came with my sensor?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      The sensor does not include anything other than the sensor.
      Stuff you may need to buy includes: ferrules, end caps, derailer cable, derailer housing, or cable cutter.
      For the cutter I recommend a park tool cable cutter for the cleanest cut, this will thread through the sensor easiest.

I know it can seem a little intimidating at first. First time I did one I spent hours measuring and remeasuring. But it's pretty straightforward, you're just replacing a section of the derailer housing with the sensor in its place.

Originally posted by weetard View Post
    and it looks like some 'caps' come with the gear sensor after you cut the cable to put on there...no caps came with my sensor?
    do i have to have those end caps? or can i just shove the wire thru the gear sensor and call it good?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Well yeah I'm sure some folks do that, I wouldn't expect it to function flawlessly for years like that but probably depends a bit on your riding conditions. The caps on the housing keep gunk from getting in the housing, which may affect shifting or how shifting is sensed depending on what the debris is. It's not something you are going to want to mess with twice just to fit a cap on later, as you need to remove the entire cable from both derailer and housing. Better to do it now while you've got it all laid out.

If you prefer you could go with something like heatshrink or silicone tape over the entire housing of both gearsensor and cable housing itself. In this scenario it would probably be fine to forgo the caps, and you would have the added benefit of protecting the gearsensor as well.
      The gear sensor is easily the most useful add-on developed for BBSHD and BBS02. Although it is waterproof mud and debris can still get inside, especially from

Either way you'll still need the ferrule used at the end of the cable where it meets the derailer and you'll still need a pair of cutters that are good enough not to leave the cut end frayed. The more frayed it is the more you need to carefully make sure each strand goes into the sensor. Also if you use cheap cutters it'll mangle the housing which makes it not shift so well.

I can recommend a nice shop within driving distance that can do it for you if you want

turner on my system for the first time and after the display started working it went to error 4 in the lower right corner

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      We will need some more details, like what kind of system is it?

Can the cyclone mid drive run 4000 watts? If so how well?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      There's a 4000W controller option on the page if you want to go higher. You do need a battery that can handle the extra current

Ok, this is a go kart that I am working on but the controller is to a ebike. I have a 48volt 1800w (brain power)? Brushless controller and motor combo, 48v 1800w 4500rpm. I can not get any response, no power,nothing. So all I have to hook up is the 3 motor wires to the controller,battery, hall senor, I jumped the 2 ignition wires together because I do not have a on/off switch and the throttle, the thumb throttle I have is a 4wire and the controller is a 3wire, I do know the throttle wires are 5v pos. Neg. signal, anyways I hooked these together in every possible way, no power at all. I also have a better controller, it’s a zl72volt, 60a, 3spd. I should be able to hook either up, right? What am I missing? Thank you

Comment

• Scoonie
      Scoonie commented
      Editing a comment
      endless_sphere.com is likely a better forum for help.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      That or at least making a separate thread with pictures and make/model of everything you are doing. Could be something as simple as not matching up the halls if the controller was not originally made for that motor.

Hi, I was looking to buy a 52V Luna Mini Charger for my 52V 17.5AH Shark battery but I noticed you said it needs an XT60 adapter and the one you sell is out of stock. When will you get more of those adapteres in?

Comment

just an fyi, looks like some batteries got back in stock...never received an email telling me this.

Comment

Apologies if this has been asked before, and I see the thread above about the shark pack adapter, but I was wondering if someone could please explain it like I'm five years old.

I bought a kit with a 52V hard case battery a couple years ago and predictably the barrel connector on the charger cable failed after not much use. I was able to rig it just enough, with no soldering skills or equipment, to get my battery charged a few times but sadly the whole plug has now completely failed.

I ordered the solderless barrel plug from luna cycle, but predictably it is the wrong size and will not solve my problem. Thank you for that, by the way.

I am getting the impression that I am expected to have the soldering skills and equipment to solve the problems with the connectors that I'm paying Luna Cycle perfectly good money for. I politely beg to differ, for what should be obvious reasons.

Can someone please walk me through, step by step, what I have to do to permanently solve my expensive battery connection problems without any further delay?

I see that Luna Cycle provided a female XT60 plug with my recharger, Am I really expected to open the hard case battery and try to jerry-rig my own connector?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

• jerry_mcmanus
        jerry_mcmanus commented
        Editing a comment
        No multimeter handy, but I did try the light bulb test with a 200w incandescent bulb. Same results as with the battery, the bulb lights briefly and then the charger cuts out with LED2 both red and green. I've confirmed that the fuse isn't blown. Do I need a new charger?

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like it may have gotten damaged from the short. Yes another charger would be a good idea.

• jerry_mcmanus
        jerry_mcmanus commented
        Editing a comment
        OK, I suspected it was worse than I thought. Thanks for your help.

Thinking about buying a bbs02 what is the max volts this motor can run and do you take PayPal

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        BBS02 uses 48v or 52v nominal batteries. That's a max of around 59v. Yes we take paypal.

• Erik bakken
        Erik bakken commented
        Editing a comment
        If I were to run 16s life04 batteries can I run at 25mph without over heating the motor

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        You CANNOT run 16s with bbs02. The highest you can go is 14s.
        If using 14s you would be able to go 25mph, assuming you have it geared appropriately.

Life04 batteries run at 3.3v and come off the charger at around 3.6v it should be running at about 52v at 16s and 58v off the charger

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok that should be fine then
    Working...
    X