Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ryanw1317 View Post
    I bought the 60v battery sold on luna cycle (https://lunacycle.com/batteries/pack...onic-pf-or-ga/) which is 16s7p so it should have a max voltage of around 67 volts but the battery stops charging when it hits 63 volts. Even when I leave it on the charger it refuses to go higher than 63.3 volts. Not sure if it is a problem with the battery or charger. I'm using the 60v 450w 5amp charger thats sold on luna cycle.
    I just got a multimeter and upon checking it with a multimeter, it consistently read 57.6V but the charger refuses to charge the battery so theres either something wrong with the battery or charger. really hoping its the charger though because that'll be a much cheaper repair

Comment

• ryanw1317
      ryanw1317 commented
      Editing a comment
      The battery is at 57.6V and the charger is at 66.7V. I read through the link on how to adjust the charger but I think the problem is with either the charger not making a good connection with the battery or something is wrong with the BMS. How would you recommend I get a better connection between the charger and battery. Also, is there a way I can test the BMS in my battery to make sure it isnt messed up?

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Is battery at 57.6 on both charge and discharge?
      You can push the multimeter leads through the insulation past the point of the connectors while testing for voltage on the multimeter to see if it shows at 66.7 when plugged in. Also just visually check the connectors, see if they're blackened or charred, see if they're pushed all the way in when plugging in.

Another good test would be to check the charger with an incandescent lightbulb to see if it can take a load. There's a video and pictures how to do this here:
      This guide covers 3 related topics: Charger issues, battery issues and miscellaneous testing procedures. Highly advisable to read each section fully to help understand how your ebike works and basics of troubleshooting. Post #1 focuses on chargers, Post 2 and 3 are about battery, Post#4 is about misc questions and answers as

If it cannot then it's probably the charger. Either way I would probably try a different charger before testing the BMS, as this involves opening up the battery. Which is not so hard but putting shrinkwrap back on it can be pretty difficult. There is a video on testing the bms in the link above as well, if you like. If there's any cell imbalance you probably want to take a good look at the cells visually and check them for any sign of damage to the cells itself. No BMS in the world is going to fix a physically damaged cell.

• ryanw1317
      ryanw1317 commented
      Editing a comment
      The battery has a voltage of 57.6 from both charge and discharge port. I also used the charger to bypass the battery and power the bike and the bike worked normally. I tried jumpstarting the bms and that enabled the charger to start charging the battery but when I tried to charge it normally it still wouldnt charge

can a Roam Fusion be put onto a GIANT Roam XL frame? The LunaCycles site only offers Large.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Unfortunately due to how we make and manufacture our batteries, this is currently not possible at the moment. Sorry.

I just got a new Samsung frog-style 36v 10Ah battery n charge it with my old charger, the thing is, the charger never ends because the green light never shoots up . Today I do it again, n after a few hrs (4 hrs charging ) , the charger stays red light n never turn to green light but I can see the batt indicater that the batt is full. My old charger is working fine. What can I do about it? Can u pls advice me, thank u.

Comment

• calfee20
      calfee20 commented
      Editing a comment
      Has it ever been up to 42 volts?

Hope I am doing this right. I just ordered and received a Triangle 48v Panasonic 17.5ah. Charged it and hooked it up to my ELF (black to black, red to red). Turned on the ELF. Nothing. No response. Any idea why?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Follow the path of the power.
      First confirm voltage on the pack with multimeter at the discharge connector.
      Next confirm that you have the same voltage past that point where the connector is plugged into the charge by pushing the multimeter leads through the insulation past the point of the wiring as shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef3N...ature=youtu.be

If both of those things look fine then you have power going to the controller so you at least know the battery is working right. Meaning you need to look elsewhere in the system for the problem. While we cannot support products from elsewhere, you generally want to check display, throttle, connectors/harnesses and controller. Some of this can be done with a multimeter depending on the equipment.

Ready to order Cyclone 3000; Luna's description states the mounts have been upgraded. Are they adequate for the power or are Luna's mounts necessary?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Probably depends on who you ask.
      Some folks prefer the oldest version for some reason. Some say the new "bent bracket" system is more rigid since it doesn't make use of a bunch of spacers and gets rid of that dumb hoseclamp. And some want the ultimate in rigidity as well as a nice look, and are willing to pay a little extra for it.

Any of these mounts are adequate but the answer is subjective.

Case #99344
    Order #44110

The first time I plugged the DPC-18 in (last night), all I see is flashing colors and the unit shows: "waiting to load app". Any advice on what's going on? Is this something I can fix or do I need a replacement?

Comment

I have a luna cycle 52 volt charger. The charge percentage switch appeared to be a 8 position rotary switch with various resistors. In checking it i found it was being utilized as a 3 position rotary. Common to r1 gives 100% to r3 is 90 and unconnected is 80. I have jumpered it to run 100%.
    os this correct? Or am i into risky behavior?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      I am not entirely sure what you mean but yes the charge percentage is a 3 position rotary switch.

• Gr8fun
      Gr8fun commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you paxtana. Answered my question.

I found this image on the Bafang website. Is part # G510-1000.0103 a mount that one could use to mount a Luna Ultra drive in a steel frame?
    Would you have it available and if so, what is the price?
    Thanks.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      No, it is not. This is specifically addressed in the product description for the Luna ultra listing, including pictures and a full explanation. Also, the ultra comes with a plate option so there's no need to buy another. https://lunacycle.com/bafang-ultra-m...ike-mid-drive/

• MIKEinNC
      MIKEinNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I had seen that, but since my frame is steel, I thought the aluminum plate would not be ideal.
      I might still order it, just to use it as a template and to determine if the frame surgery I have in mind is feasible BEFORE I spring for the Ultra. Is the plate available to order separately? (I searched, but can't seem to find it on the website.)

I have an ebike with a connector that fits a 52v panasonic dolphin pack like the one in this picture. can someone tell me what the name of that socket is? The reason i ask is because i would like to create an extension cable of sorts to run the battery from a backpack and take it off the frame, but im not sure what the connector types are called. If an extension cable already exists then i am certainly in the market to just buy it. Thanks everyone!

Comment

• calfee20
      calfee20 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have these coming. I'll see how they are. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• mtm408
      mtm408 commented
      Editing a comment
      Calfee, I've got a set of those. I like them. I've got a Shark pack connector on my bike with an XT90 but I rarely use the Shark pack. I've covered the XT90 with one of these and it's been keeping all the road crap out of the connection. I use the other ones to remind me which batteries are charged and which need charging.

• calfee20
      calfee20 commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine just came in today.

Is it possible to get the LUNA FUSION CRUSHER 3 in a different color, or is black/red the only choice?

Also, how much does the LUNA FUSION CRUSHER 3 weigh with bike + motor + battery for Size=L?
    Last edited by fiend89; 01-27-2018, 05:39 PM.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Unfortunately the only options available are the ones on the product page itself. If it's not listed, it usually means it has run out of stock or simply not available as an option.

Weight is roughly around 50-70 pounds. I might be wrong on this one though.

Im thinking of moving my BBSHD from my fuji nevada 1.4 to my trance 4 2017, the bottom bracket on the trance is 92mm pressfit.

my current BBSHD is a 63mm.

what BBSHD length do i need to make it fit with this adapter from luna https://lunacycle.com/bbshd-locking-...92-86-5mm-bbs/

do i need a 100mm BBSHD or will a smaller one work as well?
    Last edited by lodvib; 01-29-2018, 03:20 AM.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Not going to work unfortunately without a 100mm BBSHD version.

• lodvib
      lodvib commented
      Editing a comment
      not too bad, already got the battery and all the cables i need. just need to buy a new motor.

cheers :)

CMeilan headlight won't take/hold a charge. Is the battery replaceable? If so, how?

Comment

I have a new Roam Fusion which I really have been enjoying. This weekend took it on a very bumpy group ride in Sonoma and am now having some issues. Three questions:

1- Does not shift down to lower gears unless I stop pedaling and then resume (as soon as I stop pedaling I see the derailed move, enabling shift). I do have the gear sensor option. Is this a simple adjustment or something else?

2- Front forks are bottoming out on the smallest bumps. Can this be repaired or do I need to replace? If replacing what heavier quality front forks will fit without making other changes.

3- Can I fit a little bigger tires on the Roam Fusion? What size can I go to?

thank you,
    Tony

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Probably just needs derailer adjusted, the gearsensor would not prevent shifting while pedaling. A bike shop can do this or you can follow the instructions on the manual we link to on the listing.

For the forks I would probably start by adjusting the preload and see if that helps.

Everything besides the electrical stuff is a stock bicycle, while we don't have all the information on potential upgrade parts for each model and each part, you can take it to a bike shop and they should be able to help pick out or install forks, tires etc.

I am putting a BBSHD on a specialized fat boy. I am not clear if I need to buy an adapter for this bike. It has a press fit bottom bracket. thank you

Comment

Looking for an extra battery for my 52V fusion bike with ludicrous controller. Will the mighty mini or the Panasonic bottle battery pack be able to handle the draw (just looking for PAS level 4 or 5, not full throttle)? If so, would one of those be a better option (and if the bottle pack, the 11.5 or 13.5ah option)?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      For the mini you would need a couple in parallel. The BMS might be okay with it since you are still within the limits (barely) but a mini is just a 2p pack, a 50A peak would be more than double the maximum discharge rating for GA cells in a 2p configuration. Bottle would be more acceptable as far as the cells are concerned but you really want a high power output battery.

Alternately you could try dialing down the current on the controller to increase your range.

• Ljefe00
      Ljefe00 commented
      Editing a comment
      Paxtana - Thanks for the response. I guess a better question is IF I use a mighty mini battery or a Panasonic bottle battery (or is there another portable battery option that would be better for this use?) for range extension on my Ludicrous bike, what pedal assist levels (at Luna default settings) would keep the amp draw within appropriate range?
      When you say "dial down the current on the controller to increase your range," what do you mean exactly?

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      PAS levels won't really decrease your amp draw by much. You'll be better off dialing the current down on the controller. You can follow this link here for more details:

This is an introductory guide to using the programming cable and the Bafang Config Tool to change the options of the controller for your Bafang mid-drive motor, so we won't be going in-depth about any other tab but the Basic tab. If you own a Bafang mid-drive motor you may want to change a thing or two in the controller
Working...
X