Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok got one How to connect the brake sensors to the 3000w cyclone kit? the plugs will not fit any of the plugs on the control or did I get sent the wrong ones?

Comment

Can I use this: Ebike Kit Extension Cable

extension cable to lengthen my programming cable so I don't have to get my laptop so close to the bike? Is this just a male/female extension?

Comment

• Peter Halt
        Peter Halt commented
        Editing a comment
        No. That is an extension for the cable that goes to the display from the motor. You just need a USB extension cable.

Originally posted by serphr View Post
      The left crank arm on my recently installed BBSHD keeps loosening and I cannot seem to keep the bolt tightened. I get about 10 miles of pedaling before it starts to loosen and the crank arm starts to wobble. I have tried using locktite to secure the bolt but that doesn't work. Ironically, I needed to remove the crank arm to torque down the retaining nut for the motor and, after removing the crank arm bolt, I could not get the crank arm off of the spindle. However, the bolt will loosen and the crank arm will wobble like crazy after a short time on the pedal. Any suggestions as to what I can do to keep that bolt tight?
      I'm going to mention that I'm pretty happy with the Shimano Ebike crankarms I purchased and installed on my full suspension bike, a direct replacement for the Bafang ones and reasonably priced. Rode about another 10 miles of single track and bumpy roads today, got pretty crazy and no signs of trouble with them, no loosening whatsoever. They seem a lot heavier duty and much better alloy than the Bafang ones, they tighten with a bolt (used wrench from the Luna Toolkit). Just an option for those having trouble with their crankarms loosening.

Comment

• calfee20
        calfee20 commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you have a link for that?

Hi-

I recently purchased a Bafang BBS02 mid-drive kit from Lunacycle. I'm a newbie to bikes and plan on having it assembled by a local bike shop, but I want to make sure I have all of the components that I need first.

One thing I'm wondering about is whether the pedals are going to turn when using the mid-drive motor. I'd prefer to be able to coast without the pedals turning if I'm not actively pedaling.

One bike that I'm looking at comes with a "Dicta Lma-8 17T" freewheel. Since it's very small I assume this is going to sit on the back axle. That's not going to be sufficient for what I want, right? It sounds like I need a freewheel that works on the crankset. Is that correct? Is this something that I need to purchase separately from the Lunacycle kit or does the kit come with something like this? Do I need to buy one of these from Luna? If I buy that item, is there any concern that it could be incompatible with the bike I chose (I've already checked dimensions for the battery and the bottom bracket depth)? Would I need to buy a replacement rear gear so that I don't have 2 freewheel mechanisms at once?

Thanks so much.
      Last edited by bugme; 07-23-2017, 09:23 PM.

Comment

• Eric Luna
        Eric Luna commented
        Editing a comment
        no the pedals wont turn when you are coasting... that would be terrible ;) dont worry about that their is a built in freewheel in the drive. ...no you will not need that crankset that you linked too that is for a different mid drive system...the bbs02 is self contained.

• bugme
        bugme commented
        Editing a comment
        Eric In other words, I could install the luna kit on a fixed gear bike? That opens up a lot more options for me, thanks.

Calfee20:

I ordered the crankarms from this source:

https://www.ebikeoutpost.com/product...-crank-arm-set

Luna might want to start carrying them if possible or something similar.

Comment

• calfee20
        calfee20 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks....I'll keep that link in my favorites.

• calfee20
        calfee20 commented
        Editing a comment
        The check out for that ebikeoutpost is not working. How long ago did you buy from them?

i have radrover ebike and i'm interested in upgrading the battery and display. will a dpc-14 display work with my radrover? and will it allow me increase or remove the speed limit? i am also interested in the panasonic 52v 13.5ah battery. will my current 48v charger work with it or do i need a new charger as well if i upgrade to that battery? and can you confirm it is compatible with my radrover?

thanks.

Comment

Hi Friends at Luna Cycle
        I have a question about using this crank set https://lunacycle.com/parts/bicycle-...ing-crank-set/ with my stock BBS02. Will it bolt on? If so, do I need any additional hardware adapters etc.?

Comment

Looks like my bottom bracket measures 2 7/8 (73mm) exactly. Should I order the BBSHD with the standard 68-73mm or the fat 73-100 bottom bracket?

Thanks,
        T

Comment

Standard would likely fit without spacers, but you may not be able to fit the retainer nut which is not a problem. Makes for a very clean install. 73-100 you have a lot of room for washers and adjustment but you can make it work with no doubt.

Comment

• CaptainTed
            CaptainTed commented
            Editing a comment
            Okay, so your recommendation is get the standard size? I don't know if the extra room of the 73-100 is "playing it safe" or "more than is helpful." Thanks for your help.

• HIGHVOLTAGE
            HIGHVOLTAGE commented
            Editing a comment
            Only go for the 73mm-100mm if you think you're going to have problems with the rear chainstay. It's practically impossible to make a 100% confirmation on which size to pick for someones bike without actually seeing it in person. That's why we always recommend to base your build off a previous documented build rather than going in blind.

I would personally just go with the 68mm-73mm and not worry about having enough extra room. But you can stick with the 73mm-100mm if it doesn't look like there are any problems. Again, none of us here can really 100% confirm this for you. You could order the 68mm and find out that you have some sort of interference problem with it. "DIY" is a big theme in regards to these kits. Personally my bike uses a 73mm BB and I haven't had any issues using the 68mm-73mm kit and I've only heard of issues arising from wider rear chainstays.
            Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 07-25-2017, 06:45 PM.

1) What is the distance (chainline) between the heart of the seat tube and the Mighty Mini BBS02 30 Tooth Chain Ring (on a BBS 02). The bottom bracket is 68 mm.
          2) What is the distance (chainline) between the heart of the seat tube and the Mighty Mini BBSHD 30 Tooth Chain Ring (on a BBSHD). The bottom bracket is 68 mm.
          Last edited by Bartel; 07-25-2017, 03:55 AM.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
            HIGHVOLTAGE commented
            Editing a comment
            Not sure I understand this question. I imagine it would depend on the frame you're using.

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          Calfee20:

I ordered the crankarms from this source:

https://www.ebikeoutpost.com/product...-crank-arm-set

Luna might want to start carrying them if possible or something similar.
          Calfee20: I ordered from them around 6/28/2017, the item was in stock.

Comment

Wondering about a few of the products :

https://lunacycle.com/sondors-upgrad...roller-36-52v/

It says "Please note you probably have to have our LCD display for this controller to work. Earlier models of Sondors displays might work but we cannot guarantee it. " So what happens if we install *without* swapping the LCD screen?

https://lunacycle.com/batteries/gaug...ammed-kt-lcd3/

Is there any way to program the original Sondors screen to work like this one?

Third question, what happens if you just don't use the LCD screen on the Sondors with this controller? Or do you NEED your LCD in order for the controller to work at all?
            Last edited by PatrykBG; 07-25-2017, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
              HIGHVOLTAGE commented
              Editing a comment
              If you swap the controller without swapping the LCD, you won't get any statistics or information on the display in regards to what you're doing and possibly other functions won't work either.

There is currently no way to re-program the original Sondors display through normal means, it has to be custom modified by an experienced programmer.
              If you don't use the LCD screen, the bike will still probably run, but we cannot make any promises in regards to this because we generally don't advise it as an option.

I'm reposting here for the fast response time... Couldn't delete my other post.

Hi folks, loving the BBSHD kit I got from you at the beginning of the summer.

I sometimes want to run my 48V Jumbo Shark Pack in a backpack rather than its cradle mounted on the bike frame. I want to leave the cradle on the frame. I ran across this related information in the battery FAQ:
            My cradle is out of stock and I am having difficulty with the original, what do?
            You can bypass the cradle and just run an XT 90 connector set from the case to the rest of the system. Still would be removable and you could still use the cradle, you would just have to unplug the XT 90 before removing it

Does this mean it is OK to discharge the battery to the load through the charging port and xlr connector? If I'm parsing the above statement correctly, you are suggesting an xlr- xt-90 pigtail that plugs into the charging port?

TIA

Comment

• OptimusPrime
              OptimusPrime commented
              Editing a comment
              NO NO NO NO !!!! Do NOT discharge to the load through the charge port.

Does anybody know where I might find the dimensions for a smart pie V5 motor. I've been looking for them and beem Unsuccessfully I might add. It would be a lot of help when trying to figure out the correct spoke length for lacing my new rims.

Comment

General question: the BBHSD or equivalent generally looks to placed in front of, and slightly lower than the bottom bracket in many of the MTB ebike builds. Is that motor built to withstand a direct hit on a rock or a log while riding off road? Would some type of bash plate be of utility, or just not necessary? Thanks.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
              HIGHVOLTAGE commented
              Editing a comment
              The BBSHD can take a direct hit from a rock because it's exterior is solid metal, you'll just ding/scratch it up a bit, but the BBS02 has some plastic weakpoints that might take more damage from a rock.
              Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 07-25-2017, 05:50 PM.
          Working...
          X