Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by Kikr View Post
      I installed the BBSHD Kit on my son's Mongoose this weekend.. Using a 52v Mighty Mini Cube Samsung Ebike Battery Pack 30q 6ah.. Everything works wonderfully, but after a few mins of riding the LCD says err -21. The bike continues to work just fine, but the display give this error. Powering down the display and powering back up resolves the error, but 30 seconds later, it displays the error 21 msg again.

Please help! Thanks!
      I believe that is a speed sensor error.

See https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-for-the-bbsxx for more info and troubleshooting.

Comment

Hi!
        Recently purchased a Cyclone 3kW kit with the 36-72v 60A bluetooth controller. Will this controller work with a 20s Li-Ion battery? (main concern - it's 84v when fully charged)
        Just in case, the battery is 20s5p, 20700 Panasonic cells.

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          The controller is for a maximum of 72v nominal battery. 72v nominal can reach 84. Should be fine unless you are exceeding that number.

My question is in regards to combining the 1000w bafang ultra motor with the rohloff 14 speed geared hub.

If you are in a high level of PAS or climbing a large hill, can you shift gears under full power with this motor and hub setup? Is there any risk to damage the hub or is it strong enough?
        What is warranty on the rohloff hub?

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Probably depends on the hill and the load. According to the rohloff manual:
          Changing gear with the rohloff is not necessary when being used appropriately. However due to the robust construction of the rohloff, changing gear under pressure is possible and is not harmful to the hub. It is however possible that when changing gears under high pressure the hub could accidentally fall into a neutral gear, this is due to the coupling elements not seating correctly into the next elements and therefore rebounding back. If this occurs the rider could lose balance and crash. Changing gears under high pressure is at the riders own risk.

The warranty provided by rohloff is also covered in this same manual. https://www.rohloff.de/fileadmin/use...015_03_web.pdf

If shifting uphill under load with the ultra I would recommend using the gearsensor for the ultra: https://lunacycle.com/gear-sensor-fo...nd-max-motors/

• bretts808
          bretts808 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for the info.
          Is the gear sensor definitely compatible with the rohloff hub?

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          It is compatible with both derailers and IGH.

Hi I recently purchased a 4kw Qs hub motor and a 4.5Kw programmable kelly controller with twist throttle. I am having issues with wiring as very poor wiring diagrams are provided. The batteries are 4 40ah lead batteries to achieve 48 volts. Just wondering are their any sites with good wiring diagrams and information or possibly if someone could help out that has installed one before. Also would appreciate advice on what other compents are required such as contactor etc. Thanks

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          This thread is for asking questions of Luna technical support about Luna products. None of what you bought is from us, sorry. Maybe you should contact the seller.

I have a Luna 52V 14AH carbon pack. I recently had 1 set of 4 cells go bad in it and I replaced them. I assumed that I could then charge the pack to 100% to balance the cells, which were about .35V less than the other cells. To my surprise, the cells did not balance. I tried charging again to 100%, but still not balanced. The cells measured at 3.85V while the other sets of cells were at 4.16V (next morning when checked). I thought the BMS in these packs would also balance the cells when charged to 100%. So now I had to open up the pack and hook a RC hobby charger across those cells to get them to match.

Am I misunderstanding the function of the BMS, or do I have a bad BMS? Perhaps this is why I had a failure in the first place.

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          The BMS does not balance large imbalances, there's a certain threshold of imbalance past which the bms will not attempt to balance. This threshold likely differs depending on the bms. It may also be possible you have a bad bms.

• nswenson520
          nswenson520 commented
          Editing a comment
          Paxtana, I think you are likely right about the large imbalance exceeding BMS spec. The other cells are exactly matching. Thank you!

Looking for a Torque Arm for my pull-off KHS fat tire fork. https://lunacycle.com/fat-tire-rigid...6-non-tapered/
        My nifty drawing below of how the torque arm could look. . It would attach to the fork with a top bolt( in red) and a bottom bolt (in blue).
        I'm attaching a 500W Bafang front hub motor to the hub and without torque arms, I will twist my fork.

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Probably will need to fabricate it if you want something specifically like that. Any regular torque arm should work though.
          Might want to check out big blue saw if you can make an autocad design of the exact specs you want it to be. Given that it's just a flat piece of metal the cost would be trivial to produce.

• commuter ebikes
          commuter ebikes commented
          Editing a comment
          I had a local machine shop fab me up some torque plates. It took a few months and was expensive, but the torque plates are completely bombproof. Take your goodies down to a local machine shop.

Originally posted by timothympfeiffer View Post
        Looking for a Torque Arm for my pull-off KHS fat tire fork. https://lunacycle.com/fat-tire-rigid...6-non-tapered/
        My nifty drawing below of how the torque arm could look. . It would attach to the fork with a top bolt( in red) and a bottom bolt (in blue).
        I'm attaching a 500W Bafang front hub motor to the hub and without torque arms, I will twist my fork.
        GRIN Front Torque Arm for Mounting on Forks with Fender Eyelets. Thick 1/4

Comment

• commuter ebikes
          commuter ebikes commented
          Editing a comment
          For the same price as those universal torque arms, you can have custom ones made to your specs by a local machine shop..

• calfee20
          calfee20 commented
          Editing a comment
          Really I thought it was $100.00 to walk in the door. 20 years ago we were charged $80 to cut a woodruff keyway in a shaft.

• timothympfeiffer
          timothympfeiffer commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for the advice. I specifically want something that bolts into the eyeholes of the fork so I can use a security bolt. Something from here https://www.fastenright.com/products...security-bolts

These security bolts should make it very difficult to steal my front wheel when the frame is locked while also providing safety. Combined with a disk break lock with alarm, it should be able to protect my eBike, or cause the thief to destroy it while attempting to steal it.

I am interested in buying the Roam Fusion with the 34ah battery, and I was wondering is there any way to take the giant battery off? How is it secured to the bike? I may want to take it off occasionally to store the bike, or discourage theft, or who knows. Also, is 62 pounds the official weight, including the battery?
        Thank you!

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          It's secured with zipties and straps. If you do wish to remove it, you'll have to re-attach the zipties and straps. And yes.

BBSHD: (1000w) plugged in , I’ve ran about 10 miles with the motor on. but it is not turning on . I’ve ran voltage meter through all connections to the bike and have power running through the whole bike but nothing coming alive . I’ve just crimped my battery connecting wires due to the words not being able to stay in . All wires are Lined up and inside motor has all wires together. Any help??

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          Any error codes on the display? Was it ridden in the rain at all? Can you try unplugging everything except the LCD display and then check to see if PAS functioned by rotating a pedal?

Where can I find the inner chain ring bolts for Luna Tick crankset? Mine have sheared off and when I took it to a few local bike shops I'm told the part is non-standard. Can Luna sell these separately?
        Attached Files
        Providers of quality ebikes, electric bike batteries, motors and components at affordable pricing.

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          This is just a shot in the dark but maybe these will work.

I would recommend taking some measurements, these are a 6mm length.

• pdx
          pdx commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, but I think these are too small for that. It looks like Luna has sent me something - I'll share a pic in case someone has the same problem in the future.

• pdx
          pdx commented
          Editing a comment
          So I've received the new set of bolts from Luna this weekend (kudos to LUNA - they've sent them free of charge :) and tried them on. Unfortunately though, it looks like it won't really work - the new replacement bolt offsets are too narrow and leave no space needed between the chain guards and the sprocket for the chain. Here are the pictures (See above) of the bolts showing the difference between the new set and one of the older bolts that survived. I'm including this in case someone else has a similar issue. I've asked support at LUNA to see if they can service the chainrings.
          Last edited by pdx; 02-19-2018, 03:10 PM.

Can the cyclone mid drive run 4000 watts? If so how well?

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Quite well, that's why we sell it with a 4000W ASI controller option.

When programming my controller, what should I set the battery current and phase current limit at to get the most power while also avoiding blowing out this battery? https://lunacycle.com/72v-triangle-p...ebike-battery/

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          The bms will go into overcurrent shutdown if you are pulling too much current (or overheat protection if you overheat sooner). Bms protects the pack from failure not the controller.

That said, there's plenty of reasons to put it lower than the maximum it can do. The battery is rated for 50a continuous 70a peak.

I forget to backup when I programmed my BBSHD. Where can I download the original .el file that comes with my 48 volts BBSHD from LunaCycle?

Also, looking for .el file for best range off my 17.5ah 48 volts battery pack staying on just PAS 1 and 2. Sadly, I only have 5 PAS modes on my display. It is for my work bike, on original flash I can last 3-4 hours with about 30 miles on just PAS 1/2. I am not looking for crazy wheelie/speeding mode or anything.
        Last edited by zacstone; 02-08-2018, 01:41 AM.

Comment

• zacstone
          zacstone commented
          Editing a comment
          I only see one Luna BBSHD profile.

• Poco Askew
          Poco Askew commented
          Editing a comment
          I think that's all there is. The other profiles are non-Luna. The BBSHD come pre-programmed with a single (Luna) profile.

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          The default Luna configuration is basically just the default BBSHD profile. Many of the profiles listed are just slight variations of eachother. Try them all and see which one works best for you.

I put a bike together with a BBS02 last Fall and I've been enjoying it with no problems. It's a cheap Mongoose Hondo, with 27.5 wheels, 2.8" wide tires and 68mm bottom bracket.
        My only additional expenses have been the expected upgrades like brake levers, freewheel, rear derailleur and shifter.
        I'm now approaching the point of upgrading it with a BBSHD and I'm a bit uncertain which BB size to order. My BBS02 needed perhaps 1/16" of shims because the reduction gear housing was hitting the chain stay, but still the width was about perfect to screw the nuts on. I believe the gear housing of the BBSHD is larger in diameter than that of the BBS02, am I correct? If so, I'll obviously need more shims and I'm not sure the 68mm BBSHD will be wide enough. Would I be wise to order the 73-100mm size? Also, if someone could tell me the exact diameter of the BBSHD reduction gear housing that would be great.
        Thanks very much,
        Mike

Comment

Working...
      X