Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put a bike together with a BBS02 last Fall and I've been enjoying it with no problems. It's a cheap Mongoose Hondo, with 27.5 wheels, 2.8" wide tires and 68mm bottom bracket.
    My only additional expenses have been the expected upgrades like brake levers, freewheel, rear derailleur and shifter.
    I'm now approaching the point of upgrading it with a BBSHD and I'm a bit uncertain which BB size to order. My BBS02 needed perhaps 1/16" of shims because the reduction gear housing was hitting the chain stay, but still the width was about perfect to screw the nuts on. I believe the gear housing of the BBSHD is larger in diameter than that of the BBS02, am I correct? If so, I'll obviously need more shims and I'm not sure the 68mm BBSHD will be wide enough. Would I be wise to order the 73-100mm size? Also, if someone could tell me the exact diameter of the BBSHD reduction gear housing that would be great.
    Thanks very much,
    Mike

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      I would only go up a size unless it was a necessity as it can introduce other issues. Probably start with the regular size and exchange for larger if need be (try not to scratch up the axle when fitting it so we can do the exchange if needed). See the technical links/pics on this page for dimensional sizes:

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ight-bbsxx-kit

• MIKEinNC
      MIKEinNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks paxtana, that helps a bunch.

Hello Eric, I got the kit a few days ago and started to build my bike today. A lot of parts in the kit, but no manual/book. Where would I go next? No instructions? No documents? Nothing?
    If it 's important, my order/kit is/was #45553. I removed the crank and I was successful to install the motor, but what's next? I know it'll be a DIY project, but no manual?
    Thanks, Micheal D

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      The documentation is too dense and changes too often for a printed manual. The documentation is on the listing and comprises some 20 links, including knowledge base threads, youtube videos, online manual and a wiki. https://lunacycle.com/bafang-bbshd-1000w-middrive-kit/

What wheel diameter I should use for 700x32? I wanted to be more specifically. I only see one 700c and all others are measured in inches.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure I understand your question, can you clarify?

• zacstone
      zacstone commented
      Editing a comment
      You know.. the wheel diameter setting when you program your BBSHD. I know that 700x32 is bit bigger than regular 700c wheel.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      There is not a way to change it to be more accurate than that.

Hi guys, I am in the beginning stages of a custom off road go kart for the kiddo with scalable power. I plan to employ a bare cyclone motor (bigger is always better!) so that I can tune it down to 250w or up to 4000w as he learns and grows.

I have a lingering question: did the Rhino bike employ the kit cyclone motor variant? I think I remember seeing one get lugged down and eventually letting out the magic smoke after running a long hill alongside Eric in a demo video for the double gear double torque hub motor on a trike. The reason I ask is that it gives me a good idea of exactly how much abuse that particular version of the motor can take.
    Last edited by moarpower; 02-09-2018, 05:49 AM.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know about it frying on that run but it certainly got hot. Yes it was the 3k (not the bare).
      Pretty sure he had it set up for single-speed btw. If it was using gears it would hot have gotten hot at all.

• moarpower
      moarpower commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply! My memory of the video isnt that great but I do remember the motor put up with a lot of abuse. I thought it was a single speed and that left me very impressed with how much it can take.

Trying to charge my bike with a Luna 3 position mini charger that came with my bike. The fan is 'clicking ' on and off and doesn't seem to go on. Tried plugging/unplugging and changing positions- 80-90-100 and still clicking. Any ideas?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      It's trickle charging at low pack voltage. If it is a relatively recent charger we have an adapter that will prevent that, just email support@lunacycle.com your order#

Can the Monster Cyclone XL 7500 watt motor be wired to spin counterclockwise as well as clockwise?
    I'm toying with the idea of using one to power a lightweight motorcycle, where it would need to drive a chain on the left hand side.
    If not, I suppose I could build a jackshaft to conduct power to the left side. That might also make it easier to experiment with the gearing.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, pretty sure you just change phase wire configuration, I recall we had a couple support tickets where someone wired it up that way by accident and it was going backwards.. We don't have freewheels that go backwards though, not sure how you would deal with that but it's probably not impossible.

I cannot promise exact same functionality running backwards as forwards though (accessories etc), so you might want to bench test it before proceeding with the build.

• MIKEinNC
      MIKEinNC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.

The power switch / PAS level selector for my BBSHD had gotten stripped to hell -- cannot tighten it against the handlebars anymore. Do you sell this part separately? On the website, it appears to only come as a package deal with the C965 display.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      No we do not sorry. I know one place sells the selector for the dpc14 but I'm not aware of anyone selling it for 965.
      If it's just stripped you might be able to go up a size using tapout, or maybe just something like a wood screw. Depending on the issue you might even be able to reinforce it with a P clamp.

I just ordered by kit with a 48v mini charger. Luna is out of stock for the 60xt to 5.5 barrel connector so i will have to build one. What is the gauge wire used for the pigtail?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      The xt60 pigtail? It's around 16 iirc.

You know you can just use the solderless barrel we sell in place of the whole adapter assembly right? That's what I would do.

When you say use the solderless barrel you would remove the xt60 connector and replace it with the solderless barrel?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      No, you would remove the barrel adaptor end and replace it with the solderless version assuming that is the broken end (usually is)

Here's the link
      https://lunacycle.com/solderless-barrel-connector/

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes Beachsailor that is exactly what I meant. Remove xt60 and it leaves you with a red and black wire coming from the charger. Red goes to the + on the solderless, and black goes to -

There's really no reason to have an xt60 to barrel adapter unless you have multiple varieties of battery, i.e. one hardcase and one softpack, and need to swap charger between then. My colleage highvoltage is also correct in that you can use this same connector to repair an existing adapter, though since you do not have one this does not apply in your case.

Getting an error code 30 on display motor not running.....just replaced bms in battery. Battery is at 57.1 volts (carbon shark)

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Unplug everything except the LCD Display and check if PAS works. Then if that fails, jump the + and - pins on the harness to bypass the display and then check again to see if PAS works.

More information here:

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...bbshd-or-bbs02

Finally if that fails, check your main harness, any crimps or cuts? Error 30 is a connection error and usually indicates that the system is failing to complete a connection.
      Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 02-12-2018, 01:45 PM.

If I wanted to get yalls fat tire banana bike w/ 2500 watt ludicrous motor, how fast would the bike be able to go. Also what is the biggest battery yall can set it up with and how much range would it have?
    -Thank you so much, I think this bike is the coolest thing I've ever seen!

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Around 30, maybe a bit more. Bikes with smaller rims are more optimized for torque over top speed, some of the other bikes can do ~40. But it's a rock-solid powerhouse of torque, you actually have to be careful with hitting throttle or it could wheelie you right off!

Only battery we build with it is shark, currently sold out but we should have more in stock soon.

I have a new 680 fusion with ludicrous controller. I ordered a watt meter with a spare battery pack. I mounted the watt meter on the bars next to my display. The instananeous amp readings on both match. I have never had the amps go above 30amps, and even hitting that is very rare. Shouldn’t the ludicrous controller be pulling more than that? The info I’ve read about whether the display shows actual or only half current being used is ambiguous, I’ve seen both stated. But everything says the watt meter should show the actual current readings. So what is going on?
    Also, the Ah readings on the watt meter are not cumulative, they go up and down with the current, but always go back to zero when stopped?
    Last edited by Ljefe00; 02-12-2018, 07:54 AM.

Comment

• Ljefe00
      Ljefe00 commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe I should take a video of it and send it in? What I see just doesn't seem to correspond to what I'm reading in your response and other comments about the ludi controller. Only once or twice in all kinds of riding have I seen my display or watt meter show a spike up to 30A, and NEVER above that. My top speed is in the mid to upper 20s mph at full throttle.

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Take it on a steep hill and slowly accelerate from a stop while watching the display. If it only hits 25, that means you're doing 50 amps because the display doesn't show past 30 amps.

If you're getting any lower than that, you can check the programming settings with a programming cable to make sure they were entered correctly.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Like I said, under most conditions it only peaks for a moment. We are talking a fraction of a second. And it only pulls what it needs, meaning that if it doesn't need to peak at maximum it's not going to pull the maximum. Whatever it does want to pull at any given point in time, ludi doubles it. In practice this really only applies to acceleration as it dials back the current once you are consistently maintaining the max rpm.

The easiest way to understand this would be to just get a regular bbshd controller and install it to feel for yourself. They're only 100 and it's always handy to have a spare controller around in case you need to do quick troubleshooting of a system error so it is money well spent anyway.

bought a BBSHD and during install discovered that the threaded holes for the triangle mounting plate seem to be the wrong size. 6mm bolts were provided, but 6mm bolts are too big, and 5mm bolts are too small. what size are those holes? is that common that they are shipped with wrong bolts? any help appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by ccbread View Post
      bought a BBSHD and during install discovered that the threaded holes for the triangle mounting plate seem to be the wrong size. 6mm bolts were provided, but 6mm bolts are too big, and 5mm bolts are too small. what size are those holes? is that common that they are shipped with wrong bolts? any help appreciated!
      That measurement you have is correct for a 6mm X 1.00 screw. Could there be a paint blob causing a problem? How about chasing the holes with a tap and using a die on the screws.

Comment

• ccbread
        ccbread commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks for confirming the holes were the right size, that helped. no paint blobs, but i bought some new 6mm bolts, and they had just enough bevel at the tip to ease into the holes. the luna/bafang bolts were not tapered at the end at all, so wouldn't quite get in there. anyway, thanks!

I have a lot of experience assembling MTB's, have successfully mounted two of your BBS02's on 68mm bikes for my wife and me, and would like to install a BBSHD on a steel, 68mm Kona Honzo. Unfortunately, the 68mm BBS02 interfered with the frame when I tried the BBS02 on it. Do you anticipate any problems with a larger (83-100mm) BBSHD?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        Unfortunately this is not something we can really answer without looking at it in person and testing it out first. If you want to avoid any potential issues like this, we would instead recommend to base your build off of something previously documented rather than going in blind as you won't have to worry about coming across issues like chainstay interference or drive not fitting properly.

This thread is a great resource for documented builds.

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ible-pictorial
        Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 02-12-2018, 02:10 PM.
    Working...
    X