Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,

Came back from a ride today and my battery refuses to charge. The green light blinks and the fan never starts. The 52v battery and mini charger was new last week. Is there a fix I should try.

Thanks - Joe.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Email support@lunacycle.com with a video of the problem in action and your order # and they will be able to help you out :)

Hi Luna

So my Bafang BBSHD I bought from you guys started sticking a little this weekend, especially when backpedaling and there are metal shavings coming out of the motor all over the chain. It was still running but somethings going so I put it in the shop. Here are some pics I opened up as you guys showed in another thread. Can't figure out which part I need to replace though - maybe gears on inside? Need to get this thing back on the road for work by the weekend so any help figuring out which part to order would be great.

Thanks!
    Brian

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure I see the shavings you are speaking of inside the motor, though I see what I assume to be some on the spindle.
      Can you take a pic of the pinion?
      Can you remove the black plastic piece (pas sensor) and check if any shavings have accumulated on it? This is a series of magnets so if there's shavings originating inside the motor they tend to stick to it.
      Looking at the secondary I think it could use some grease but it's not too bad.
      What exactly do you mean by bbshd started sticking?

Cool yeah I'll go snap a couple pics. When I was pedaling it would just catch for a second but lightly and then release again, like something was sticking inside. Then I noticed a thick pile of metal shavings coating the inside of the chain.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm..maybe take a pic of the chainring and chainline as well just so we can rule out something simple like chain skipping and/or wearing down the chainring.

• gypsytraveler
      gypsytraveler commented
      Editing a comment
      Can't get the new photos to upload for some reason I'll keep trying but didn't see many shavings inside either mostly on the spindle and inside of front chainring...I did just replace the drive hub, rear derailleur, and front chain - it's on a pedicab. I didn't replace the front chainring - 42t Luna ring installed with motor this summer...it's not rubbing anywhere that I know of - was running really smooth till the end of the weekend - but I'll go put everything back together and check maybe the chain's sticking somewhere and it is just chain shavings.

Easiest way to upload is to just drag and drop directly pics directly into the text input box (not comments, this only works on a top level post). Then double-click the picture in the post, this brings up image properties. Select "Large" from the dropdown so it's the proper size.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2018-02-12 21_01_51.png Views:	1 Size:	30.5 KB ID:	57923

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	44.4 KB ID:	57924

Comment

Sounds like a bad chainline, chainwheel is leaving the slivers, and a lube job is needed. Shaving can’t pass through the bear8ng unless it’s bonkers.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180213_111304.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	57961Click image for larger version

Name:	20180213_111441.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	667.6 KB
ID:	57962Thanks for the help! Sorry for false alarm; I'm really glad it's not the motor. Think the chainline's pretty good but I did have to swap out 8speed cassette for 7speed because the 8speed was too big for the hanger, then set the stops to remove two on the shifter making it essentially a 6speed. So it's probably just the chain not lining up perfect or working itself into the front 42t ring which is not new. Also I did find one link sticking so I'm giving it a good lube. Do you think the mighty-mini 30 tooth would work on this chainline? I could really use the torque as I climb some steep hills with passengers. Also what's best lube to use inside the motor? Thanks again!

Comment

• moarpower
          moarpower commented
          Editing a comment
          This guide may be able to help you: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...g-offset-guide

You should be able to calculate your current offset and physically measure the difference to get a good idea of where your chain will like up.

My chain has plenty of play, even past the MM if I do so by hand. It will also still go into the lowest gear. It even does okay under human power. But as soon as the motor’s torque hits you can hear the chain and gears interfering because the approach and exit angle is so large. I broke a tooth and wedged my chain by accidentally downshifting my BBS02 bike under similar conditions.

I’ll see if I have a good photo to PM you.
          Last edited by moarpower; 02-13-2018, 01:35 PM.

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          If you did want to slap some extra mobil28 on the secondary here's how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYs-jgnOC8k

If you want to go 30t you could always rearrange the sprockets on the rear to fix chainline issue, here's how: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-drive-systems

Usually with pedicabs everything will wear more than usual due to the load. Here's best practices for commercial vehicles:

While no sellers warranty for the high rigors of use by pedicabs, rental companies and delivery companies, many companies do use BBSHD in particular for this purpose. The happiest ones take some precautions especially if using all day every day, including regular scheduled maintenance/inspection of the internals taking time to use fresh mobil28 grease if needed, keeping derailer adjusted, keeping chain lubed, adding additional waterproofing around the gaskets on the motor, using dielectric grease on all electrical connections, keeping battery from getting rained on and using additional impact protection in where it is to be placed, and using the program cable to configure the system to operate at a lower amperage and/or other technical optimization. And ideally having spare parts for the controller, display, and clutch since waiting for a shipment to get some small part for something critical to running the company can cost money especially if it happens to be out of stock.

• moarpower
          moarpower commented
          Editing a comment
          Paxtana dropping the knowledge! This is all good info for me to have as well! So thank you!

Qualitatively: Looking at the photo of the existing chainline, a MM30T would sit “inside” the chainring. The outside of the chain on a 30T more or less lines up with where the spokes meet the inside of that ring. I’ll snap a pic of my motor.

Gypsytraveler here’s my bike (Santa Cruz Super 8) with a 68mm BB, BBSHD Ludicrous, and MM30T. It’s chain line would look a heck of a lot better with that ring of yours but I feel this ring is more practical for the speeds I use it at, 20 mph and under. It allows me to make comfortable use of the pedals as well as put in significant human input at much slower speeds for steep hills and technical maneuvers.

I’m going to go into the garage and see if I can finesse first gear a little but I think the whole setup is at its limits with that kind of power at that angle.

The bike is pictured in 2nd, my lowest usable gear.
        Last edited by moarpower; 02-13-2018, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Howdy. I'm looking for a moderate power long range electric assist system for a Terra Trike Rover Tandem. I'm thinking of mounting the mid drive kid at the stoker crank position. This machine is using a shimano Alfine 11 IGH. I need an electric setup for which the combined torque application of the motor and two pedalers will not exceed the torque handling capacity of the Alfine 11.

I have attached the specs of the trike as an image. Your feedback is appreciated.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_11211.png Views:	1 Size:	167.0 KB ID:	58063
          Last edited by paxtana; 02-15-2018, 05:36 PM. Reason: if attaching something please click size to insert or attachment shows full screen

Comment

How do you attach this setup to carbon fiber frame?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
            HIGHVOLTAGE commented
            Editing a comment
            Can we get some context and more details? Attach what setup?

I am somewhat interested in being able to charge the 48V Dolphin or 48V Killer Whale with solar panels. I've been checking out boost charge controllers like this one from Gensun: https://genasun.com/all-products/sol...st-controller/

Can you tell me if this type of charge controller is appropriate to use on the batteries I mentioned?
          Boost your 12V or 24V solar panels up to 36V or 48V Batteries with Genasun's super efficient MPPT Solar Boost Charge Controller.

Comment

• paxtana
            paxtana commented
            Editing a comment
            I think you would have to contact genasun directly. They do have a version which explicitly says it is for lithium (NOT the one you linked) but it's for lifepo which has a different profile than regular lithium ion.

A while back there was a thread where a guy did a build using this controller instead, said he had good results and it even did cc/cv charging (which is what you want) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HCL7LEW...4ISM6CZ5&psc=0
            While I cannot make a specific recommendation having not used it myself, it might be something to consider. Although if doing so I would also take the time to open up the pack every few months to personally check each cell bank for balance. Better safe than sorry.

^^ if you need more details on what I mean by checking cell banks etc please read the battery master repository
            There are many articles, forum posts, blogs, videos about batteries; what they are, how to pick one and how to use them. This post will be a repository of the best links to get right to the info you need. <div style="border-radius: 3.125rem; height: 10px; width: 100%; border: 1px solid black; border-style: solid;

• Joe Motocross
            Joe Motocross commented
            Editing a comment
            Great, that is good information. I will look into this further.

From the information on your BBS02 listing it sounds as if the axle of the BBSHD 68-73mm is slightly longer than the axle of the BBS02.
          Is that correct?
          That would be good for me, as I'm upgrading from a BBS02 that is exactly long enough, and I'll have to space the BBSHD out farther to clear the chain stay.
          Thanks,
          Mike

Comment

• moarpower
            moarpower commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a BBS02 and BBSHD from Luna and can confirm the bottom bracket portion of the HD is slightly longer. My 02 just fits (no room for the outer locking ring) while the HD has extra threads leftover.

Edit: Just double checked with calipers, both bikes are 68mm BB so yes, the HD axle is wider.
            Last edited by moarpower; 02-16-2018, 02:32 PM.

Thank you. I thought so, but feel much better ordering after having it confirmed.

Comment

moarpower ,
            One other variable, both motors have the same amount of spacers on the drive side?
            Thanks again.

Comment

• moarpower
              moarpower commented
              Editing a comment
              No but he HD appears to have 4-5 more turns of threading available when the uneven spacing is accounted for. Or about enough space for another inner motor mounting nut.

Great. Thanks.

Comment

Newb builder here. I got a BBS02 kit from Luna and hooked it up to a 36V 13.5 AH Panasonic silver bullet battery. The C961 display says the battery is almost empty when the battery is actually fully charged. I am assuming that this because I used a 36 rather than a 48V battery? Will it work OK? Or am I stuck having to buy a new 48/52V battery?

Comment

• paxtana
                paxtana commented
                Editing a comment
                It will work sure, but the controller low voltage cutoff will prevent your usage of the full capacity of the 36v battery. It would only let you use something like 30% of the capacity of a fully charged 36v pack, after which point the voltage of the battery will have dropped to below LVC on controller. The kit was designed for 48/52 so this is why a fully charged 36 shows as almost empty.

You need to use a different battery

• TriU
                TriU commented
                Editing a comment
                Can I use the programming cable to adjust the LVC? If I do, any advice on changing any other parameters? I don't need a rocket, this build is just for a moderate boost to an on-road commuter with slicks. Thanks!

• paxtana
                paxtana commented
                Editing a comment
                It's not a programming issue, it is in the firmware from factory.
                Bafang does make a 36v bbs02 version for euro market where there's a lot more regulation on power output, maybe you could buy a replacement controller from a European vendor and swap it out. I cannot guarantee that nor would I recommend it though
            Working...
            X