Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blanger View Post
    Looking to install the 29er rear wheel kit on my MTB, it uses a 142x12mm Maxle. Will I be able to use this kit on my frame?
    I would say "determine the dropout width of your frame and email Luna to see what hub motor kits they have that will fit that dropout width".

Is the dropout width of your frame 142mm? Steel, aluminum, titanium or carbon fiber frame?

I checked the item description https://lunacycle.com/geared-hub-ebi...front-or-rear/ and https://lunacycle.com/ebike-kit-1000...or-conversion/, and they both say "rear hub for 135mm dropouts".

In https://lunacycle.com/fat-ebike-kit-...rs-4-inch-rim/, it says "the 135mm size will fit on the rear of fat bikes that are 150mm or narrower". That quote seems to be your answer.

In this one https://lunacycle.com/smart-pie-v5-g...motor-hub-kit/, it says "Fits typical dropout width: ~100-105mm for front, ~130-135mm for rear", so that would be a "maybe, but probably not".

Generally speaking, if you have a quality steel frame with a 142mm dropout width, you may be able to use a 135mm dropout hub motor and then tighten/compress the steel frame on each side by 3.5mm (with the axle nuts, of course). The steel frame would be able to handle it, but it is possible that other difficulties could arise (e.g. increased strain on the axle nut threads).

If you match the motor dropout width to the frame dropout width, the outer surface of the motor dropout and the inner surface of the frame are exactly on the same plane. The more you compress the frame, the more you introduce a (very small) change in the idea of keeping both of these surfaces on exactly the same plane. Many would argue that the compression of the axle nuts rectifies this (certainly by keeping everything bolted together securely and possibly by slightly deforming the metal). If the term "deforming" bothers you, we can say "cold forging".

Personally, I always match the motor dropout to the frame dropout, but I am notoriously paranoid. Even doing so, it is often off by up to 2mm due to the manufacturing tolerances (0.5mm?) of both the axle and frame.

You never want to compress the lower chainstays of an aluminum, carbon fiber or structurally questionable (i.e. economy) frame.

As an aside, if you try to install a motor with a larger dropout width than the frame dropout width, it does not go well. It is physically difficult to expand the frame dropouts.
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 07-29-2017, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Trying to program my BBSHD with my my Acer, windows7 laptop. I connect cable, then battery, then to laptop. It says something like "serial port not found" when I hit "connect". on the programming program. I've read how to do this, followed the instructions and did it in the correct order. My Device manager shows a USB2.0 device, but calls it "USB2.0-Serial " with a yellow triangle. Properties say "Drivers not found. Code 28" . ALSO, the ports section shows Comm port 3 with yellow triangle too. Anyone have a solution or link to a driver?
      Last edited by kerrylaw; 07-30-2017, 12:19 PM.

Comment

How do you change the controller from metric to SAE? How do you change the time on the controller?

Comment

• kerrylaw
        kerrylaw commented
        Editing a comment
        What motor / controller? There is no "time" in a controller.. do you mean set time in the display? What display? Please elaborate on your questions.

• commuter ebikes
        commuter ebikes commented
        Editing a comment
        I also think he/she is referring to the display.

Originally posted by idearat
      I just re-built my bike with a BBSHD after the BBS02 had some internal gearing that failed. Connecting it was straightforward, I put Anderson powerpoles on the existing battery wiring to match the BBSHD and then just connected all the other cables. Charged the battery and I was off and running.
      I drove about 2 miles outbound, then came back later, after dark. About 1/2 a mile from home everything shut down, the motor stopped, display off and headlight off. At first I thought the motor had cut out, but with the headlight wired in parallel it should have stayed on. Even the low voltage cutoff on the motor should still have the headlight burning.
      After pulling onto the sidewalk to get my now dark bike out of the street I cycled the switch on the battery ( 52v bottle battery ) and the lights came back on. Turned on the display and the motor worked unless just before I got home.
      Yesterday the same thing, drove outbound with zero issues (headlight and tail light on) . On the way back later the power cut out as I pulled into the driveway. Cycling the battery switch turned the lights back on.

Meter on the 961 display shows a full battery when stopped. ( drops under load which I'm used to ). The lights are hardwired to the battery mount, not through the new powerpole connector. I"m guessing an issue with the BMS since it's not a voltage sag but a complete loss.

Any ideas?

Thanks
      The way you describe it, it does sound like a BMS issue, but there is also a possibility that you have a loose connection. A loose connection can make for frustrating riding!

BTW, I use rechargeable headlights and tail lights so that the motor/battery/controller circuit is simpler (e.g., to troubleshoot), as well as saving all of the battery power for the motor. Just my two cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by commuter ebikes View Post

The way you describe it, it does sound like a BMS issue, but there is also a possibility that you have a loose connection. A loose connection can make for frustrating riding!

BTW, I use rechargeable headlights and tail lights so that the motor/battery/controller circuit is simpler (e.g., to troubleshoot), as well as saving all of the battery power for the motor. Just my two cents worth.
        I'll re-check the connections, but if loose I'd expect the lights to come back on when the connection was made again. The fact that they only come back on when the battery on/off switch is toggled makes it sure seem like it's internal to the battery. Which then leads me to ask how I can troubleshoot or repair a problem with the BMS? It's a 52v 13.5ah Panasonic NCR B Bottle Pack that I bought from Luna.

Comment

First timer here. I purchase a rear wheel Smart Pie (arrived last week) but there are no threads to screw the freewheel onto. Am I missing something obvious? Pictured below. PS: I don't have disc brakes.

Comment

• OptimusPrime
            OptimusPrime commented
            Editing a comment
            They def sent you the wrong motor. Se how much thread there is on the axle? Even if it was possible to get the freewheel on it wouldn't mount to the bike. I think what you have there is a front wheel motor.

in Michigan they say don't get a downhill bike but for an old motocrosser they look like fun. with a bbshd
          what's better downhill or enduro bike might try jumping.

Comment

Originally posted by Snikerdoodlz View Post
            Is there a thumb throttle for the Magic Pie 5? If not, what is each wire on the throttle (a daigram would help)?
            Hi, Yes there is...I have one on my bike with my Magic Pie v5!

Comment

So what am I doing wrong. Your website has a tab under each item for sale called "Questions and Answers". Click on it and it goes nowhere. You can't ask a question about a product and if you as a question via the "Reviews" tab it never shows up, So how do I inquire about a product?

Comment

My GPS is reading speed 3-4 mph slower than the DC-10 (?) display. How can I get a more accurate mph reading from the kit's display?

Comment

• calfee20
                calfee20 commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't have a DC-10 but can you go into settings and manipulate the tire size?

I have a Gary Fisher Zebrano Hybrid bike that is about 10 years old. I'm brand new to the world of e-bikes and want to try it out with minimum investment. I've been looking at the Luna Cycle site and comparing the Smart Pie V5 Golden Motor Hub Kit to the Ebike Kit 1000 watt Waterproof Connectors Hub Motor Conversion. I don't understand the differences and am looking for some advice as to which would be a better choice. I plan on using the front wheel version. This will be used primarily on roads with hilly terrain in Missouri.

Comment

Looking at a front hub drive kit for my wife....does any of your kits have peddle assist sensors? wanting a kit that will just give help on some hills. Thank you.

Comment

• OptimusPrime
                  OptimusPrime commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The BBSO2 and BBSHD both have peddle assist built in to the motor. The hub motors do not. Other vendors do sell these same motors with pas though.
                  Last edited by OptimusPrime; 08-01-2017, 10:32 AM.

My GPS says my mph is 2-4 mph slower than the display. How do I make my bbhsd kit more accurate with mph?

Comment

• OptimusPrime
                  OptimusPrime commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You have to get into the advanced settings of your particular display where you can adjust for this.

I have a BAFANG 36V/48V geared hub motor. I'm looking for a controller that will work with the BBSXX waterproof connectors. The controller should work with both 36V & 48V batteries.

Comment

Does anyone know what amp bms I need for a 48 volt 20 amp lifepo4 lithium bat? thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X