Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this bag is 17 x 10. I assume that is downtube and seat tube measurements. What is the measurement of the 3rd side. i don't remember my geometry, nor care too.
    I need to know the width of the bag. I have some mighty minis ( three ) that don't like the rear rack of my fatty, and summer is coming, so they will be uncomfortable in my mulepak. https://lunacycle.com/batteries/batt...e-battery-bag/ Ok, so I had remember Geometry. 3rd side is 13.75 inches. Now I need just the width.

Last edited by New Mariner; 05-07-2018, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Hi, I bought the BBSHD kit and installed it over the weekend. I took it out for a test ride after charging the battery to around 60%. It worked great for a few minutes then the power cut out. After pedaling back I tried to diagnose the issue with a multimeter and am reading 0 volts across the terminals of my 48v SHARK 13.5ah battery pack. Read some FAQ saying it might be the BMS tripping and shutting off the battery. However when I press the power status button on the battery I see the power remaining indicator LEDs lighting up, and when I connect the battery to the charger, the charger seems to charge the battery in that I see more green LEDs turning on. Did I receive a bad battery pack that needs to be replaced? Thanks.

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Okay just to confirm here, if you plug the battery onto the cradle and you test for voltage on the discharge wires coming off of the cradle you also see 0 V?

If so then it sounds like there might be a cold solder joint between the wiring going to the discharge connector on the case itself. If you want to try opening the battery it opens up easily so you can test the wiring as it's going to that connector. Here is a link on how to open it

• magrider
        magrider commented
        Editing a comment
        "Okay just to confirm here, if you plug the battery onto the cradle and you test for voltage on the discharge wires coming off of the cradle you also see 0 V?"
        Yes that is correct. I tried measuring wires coming off the cradle first and to rule out it was not the cradle I then measured the battery.

I see there is a warranty sticker on the battery that says void if removed. In any case I don't think I want to open up the battery and risk injuring myself or burning my house down... I just want to make sure the problem is with the battery and have luna cycle replace it under warranty.

• magrider
        magrider commented
        Editing a comment
        I opened up the battery and the problem was bad solder joint on the discharge connector, on the battery case. The black wire was practically hanging loose only to be held in place by the hot glue. I re-soldered the wire and coated the entire area in liquid electrical tape, I hope that will hold for a good long time. Not impressed with the build quality of the battery but appreciate the help from Gary at Luna Cycle.

Tame the beast? Is it possible to tame the Monster XL? I proved so far that the Monster XL w the standard 70A ESC CAN be functional and crazy fun on a regular mountain bike frame (KHS 4-Seasons 1000) against the many local e-buddy naysayers... took some bracing and a lot of fab work including HD BMX half-link chain and thick custom drilled sprockets, but it came out sweet. This thing is stunning to see, with jaw dropping performance. Nothing even comes in the same zip code regarding drag races or hill climbs. I frigging love it. But is it a handful to ride... ugh.

The problem is, the 3-pos switch simply limits top end rpm so no changes to the 0-3 (out of 10) throttle position. From 3-10 it’s manageable but that first bit is *slam* and its jerky and to someone not ready, dangerous. I’m using the standard Cyclone half throttle. The only other issue is it would be nice to have PAS, which I like to use around crowds or cops, makes it look more like a “bike”. But as far as I can tell that controller doesn’t even support PAS. Maybe a control panel (led) would open it up? The ESC doesn’t appear programmable either.

Just wondering if a different more sensitive throttle would help? Throttle sync? Different ESC? (But I’d sure hate to loose that power!) controller? Any way to get PAS too? Believe it or not, if you lay off the throttle and ride reasonable, it gets excellent range with the 30Ah of batts I have stacked in there so I’d love to make this more of my every day roller with more long range comfort. Any ideas very appreciated! Jeff

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry Jeff, we have no advice to give on this, your pictures are one of only a handful of successful builds we have seen with the Monster given the difficulty involved (something I am sure you are well aware of at this point)

That said, there is the possibility a different controller could do the trick. I doubt another throttle would make much of a difference and it is true the 3 speed switch operates off of speed not current (unfortunately).

• Loppy
        Loppy commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, I appreciate the response man, nonetheless. I had a feeling my options were limited. I still have a few tricks to try. I don’t want to change it too much, I really enjoy having the baddest-ass bike around. Now if I could just score a back tire sponsor... Thanks again.

Heya,

Luna Cycles as well as many other companies are offering inverted forks(usd-8 usually) on their e-bikes. Obviously there is a reason behind this, they seem to be providing more stability etc, however there is a question on what kind of fenders/mudguards you can mount on these forks. I would appreciate to understand what's your opinion on this topic ?

Although it is not really a question for a technician, it will be good to have thoughts from a professional.

Thanks

Comment

When will I be able to order CYCLONE MID DRIVE 3000 WATT PLANETARY KIT, it seems the bottom bracket is out of stock?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          It's out of stock currently. We're working on it. I can add you to our email notification list if you want?

What’s wrong with clicking noises? I can’t track it but I can feel it. Please help. (I’m deaf so I can’t hear it.)

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah that sounds like a normal amount of noise. So unless it's like the bearing inside the primary I am leaning towards it being an issue in the wheel. Or possibly the derailer needing to be tuned, although it doesn't sound like exactly like chain skipping, more like a tapping sound. Probably still worth tuning the derailer just in case since that's a lot easier than tearing down the motor or finding another rear wheel to test with.

In any case I would bet that whatever the issue is will get worse over time and it will become obvious where the issue is at that point. If it turns out to be the motor email us and tell whoever you speak with that Gary said we would take care of it for you.

• Joe Remi
          Joe Remi commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with Paxtana about the derailleur. The cassette cogs are twisted to aid shifts under load..if you have the derailleur adjusted slightly wonky, the chain will occasionally catch the twists on the next bigger cog, creating that sound that you would also feel through the pedals.

If you look at where the cable enters the derailleur, you'll see a little black plastic thingy you can turn. Shift to the middle of the cassette range, then peer under the derailleur and check if the pulleys are aligned directly under the cog you shifted to. You'll probably notice it's slightly off, which is why the chain is trying to grab another cog. Turn the adjuster counterclockwise to move the pulleys left, clockwise to go right. Getting that adjustment correct is especially important with your Shimano Altus derailleur because they're known for being kinda loose and sloppy..if it's a bit off-center it'll move even more off-center while pedaling. Good luck!

• zacstone
          zacstone commented
          Editing a comment
          There is nothing wrong with derailleur because I’ve tuned it and double check with bike shops, they said that my derailleur is fine. It makes noises when you are pedaling hard and when not pedaling. I suspended it’s the hub that is making noise when it’s under the pressure from the motor/pedaling.

How to run the cyclone 3000W counter clockwise?

I'm planing to mount to motor on the left side and reading the wiring instructions (linked). However, before attempting to surgery the writing, I just wanted to confirm again that's it's exactly the following that I need to do (nothing more or less) in order to reverse the motor direction:

1. Swap blue and yellow phase wires.
        2. Swap blue and green hall sensor wires.

Could you please confirm that this is correct?

Thanks a lot!
        This is a wiring diagram for the Cyclone stock controller, the colours are respected but it's possible that the accessories are not exactly like the diagram but the

Comment

Any idea when the 3000w cyclone might be in stock, we talking weeks or months so I can look into other options I am already signed up for a restock email but would like to know if its going to be more than a month so I can look for other options

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          We are taking weeks. Probably within a couple

Is it safe to leave my triangle battery pack (bought from luna cycles ) plugged into the bbshd while it is charging ?

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes that's fine..

I've been googling around but I can't seem to find an answer: Is Luna going to restock 52v shark packs any time in the future? Any time frame we can expect? Thanks!

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          We would recommend the new GA Wolf, while shark may be restocked eventually this will not always be the case, besides Wolf is a much better battery.

• thebootfitter
          thebootfitter commented
          Editing a comment
          Are there any plans to produce a "Wolf" style battery pack with higher amp hours?  Ideally, I'm looking for something in the range of 24+ amp hours.

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          Probably in the future. We did have a 21ah 30q Fusion triangle pack for a short time but it sold out very quickly. I don't think you'll see anything 24ah+ though as the size would have to be considerably larger and limited to a triangle shape.

Looking at getting a BBSHD mid-drive kit for my Yuba Mondo V4, but I don't see a 68mm bottom bracket option. Is that available? Thanks!

Comment

How do I setup my c750 color display, basic settings?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          What exactly do you mean? What are you trying to accomplish? Which settings?

So I finally got my bike running without chain coming off but there's a problem. The chain tensioner isn't technically doing it's job. It's not on the chain but on the side of the chain pushing it. The bike runs fine like it but I'm thinking there may be problems in the future if I stay like this. The real problem is the motor isn't aligned perfectly to the chainset which the tensioner is pushing it to go on right. I've already had to put spacers in as you might see in the picture to move the motor and I don't think I can actually push it back anymore.

Should I just keep how it is since it's running fine or should I attempt to fix it somehow which I have no clue? Anything helps because I've taken to local bike shop 3 different times taking close to 3 weeks to finally to get back and they didn't do anything close to my inexperience self did to fixing it but I got it working.

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          You can't leave it like that..chain is not actually on the tensioner sprocket just near it.
          You need to horizontally adjust the tensioner so it is aligned with the chainring.

Here's some general advice from Karl:
          If you didn’t adjust the spacing of the drive side bracket then the main chain wheel and the drive gear should line up pretty well. The tensioning wheel will have to be adjusted so it lines up between the two which is actually pretty easy. Just sight down the gears and loosen the bolt that attached the tensioning gear to the motor. Once it is lined up correctly then tighten down the nut against the motor housing so that bolt won’t turn at a later time.

Maybe this will help:

• Valmek
          Valmek commented
          Editing a comment
          I had to adjust the spacing of bracket because it wasn't anywhere close to align up which I could move 1/8" and maybe align. The washer on left arrow is there because the it'd be hitting the motor and can be screwed in. The one on the right is can take one that I added. At least it works right now take me to work will try to do what you say this weekend. Thanks

I purchased the LunaCycle BBS02 Mid Drive Kit with Panasonic Lithium Battery kit less than a year ago (July) and have put less than 300 miles on it. For the past few days, it has felt like the motor will cut out for a few seconds, but it was hard to place whether it actually was or whether strong winds were simply making me have to pedal harder with the pedal assist (like it does when going up a hill). However, today it completely shut itself off - everything. The screen, the motor, everything. It would not turn on for about 30 seconds. In about 1.5 miles or less, the system shut itself off at least 4 times. The battery indicator on the screen said it was full and I charged it last night. I checked all of the connections and they seem to be secure. The bike has been stored in a garage when it is not in use. The battery doesn't have any visual indications of being broken (not overheating or swollen). What could this be? (I have opened a support ticket with Luna Cycle)

Comment

Ordering at BBS02. Wondering what the ideal sprocket size is? Another customer of the shop did the same conversion (this motor to a Yuba Mondo bike) and got a 44t sprocket. Looks like that isn't an option anymore.

Comment

Working...
      X