Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there!

I've made a few luna purchases and have been VERY pleased - mainly with my BBS HD. I'm ready for an upgrade, so I've had my eye on the Rohloff Speedhub. I considered buying the hub and building the wheel, but today I figured I'd ask if Luna would be up for building me a special order - a full wheel with a Rohloff installed.

My current bike has 27.5 wheels (not fat tires), so I'd hope to be able to do the install on one of your rims: https://lunacycle.com/sun-ringle-mtx-33-27-5-rim/

The various options for Rohloff seem a little crazy to spell out here, so my first question is just whether or not Luna would do something like this. Please let me know!

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello, sorry that's not something we can do at this time, we don't have the manpower for a lot of special order stuff at the moment..

A friend of mine e owns a Apocalypse E scooter V2 that he had a pretty good crash on and I'm trying to replace both brake levers and lines. Any help getting these parts would be great.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm... We can source this for you but it's going to take time. Email support. We have an incoming shipment of spare parts for apocalypse, just a matter of waiting.

Tell support you want pricing on a couple apoc brake levers (the hoses are standard hydros) and to have them check with Ashley on price once available.

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
    Hi we have not stopped selling it, it just out of stock. Power output is basically same besides a little more voltage sag with a lower capacity pack, but the range would be like half. On the other hand it would be lighter which would handle well for shorter rides.
    Any idea of when you will be getting it back in stock? its just i know the the cyclone will probably go out of stock in the mean time and i dont really want to have to pay 2 shipping fees as im in the UK, thank you sam

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      I can add you to our notification list to be notified when it's back in stock if you want? Let me know your email and I'll set that up for you.

I have bbshd ludicrious set @ stock 25a i.e. 50a. Knowing you can get to 60a with reset to 30a. Now, does the reverse hold true? Wanting to make some longer runs & have some distance anxiety. Albeit slower, if i set to 15a (30a) can i increase my distance significantly? Then switch back if course

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, amps is essentially your power output. Less power output = more range. And yes you can switch back at any time with the programming cable :)

Sorry to be a pain, what bottom bracket option will i need to choose when buying the cyclone 3000w kit fo this bottom bracket :
    Sram Powerspline, 73x118mm

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Please measure your bb as shown in the documentation, going off specs alone is not necessarily best way to go about it

Luna blue charger with both amps and volt display. Pulls massive amps just plugging into wall.

Better tell a story. Came home as always and plugged into a house circuit I always use, but is unique because the breaker is for wet areas, extra red reset button. I know it not my best 15 amp circuit, but it runs my air compressor, charges bikes etc. This time it blew the breaker I didn't think too much about it and plugged into another. About half way through the charge I had to move the charger. By then I had reset the one that blew, tried it again, and it blew just plugging in the charger with no load. I did this again on another circuit for wet areas, and it too blew just plugging in with no load. I went back to the one that had been working, dry breaker, and it plugged in without blowing the circuit. Didn't go back to charging however. At this point the charger went on the pile of dead chargers. It is the first blue one on the pile and this is just weird, the others just died, no squirming in agony like this one. You guys seem to know it well, and brand it Luna, so I will ask: What did I do?

Comment

INTERNAL CABLE ROUTING DOWN TUBE. So, I've got my BBSHD kit arriving this week from Luna (super excited) and considering a "BMC Sport Elite (SLT/XT)" or "Specialized Rockhopper 2018 Expert" for the donor, yet to purchase (both medium 17.5" size). I've found build reports on the Rockhopper but not for the BMC so am hesitant, although it has better components (XT on the BMC vs Deore rear derailleur on the Rockhopper etc). But, the Rockhopper downtube has an opening where it hits the bottom bracket for internal cable routing. Would this be a good thing or a bad thing in terms of mounting the BBSHD? See pics. Thanks for any thoughts! If that Rockhopper downtube construction is a problem, has anyone heard of builds with a BMC hardtail?
      Attached Files

Comment

I don't see a problem with it. There's a bit of space between the motor and BB as it hangs straight down before tightening, which is where those cables are going. Then you'll swing it forward so the motor butts up against the downtube and the cables-into-frame area will be behind the motor.

Comment

• csipkay
          csipkay commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Joe. So once the motor is fully installed, would that slit where the cables feed in/out of still be substantially accessible? I was trying to find some good photos showing what the BBSHD looks like installed from the bottom but no luck.

Here's a pic from the bottom of my Crust Lightning Bolt. I have wires routed back over and behind the BB shell..you can see where that area would be open for your frame's internal cable entry.

Comment

• csipkay
          csipkay commented
          Editing a comment
          Sweet! That pic is perfect. So yeah, it would be tight to get in there perhaps but easier than typical routing of cables under the motor without that internal frame design. Do in your Crust example, are your cables for rear break and derailer just routed under the motor and then continue up the down tube?

• Joe Remi
          Joe Remi commented
          Editing a comment
          Derailleur is a bare wire routed between BB and motor up along the downtube; I put a gear sensor in the housing loop at the derailleur. My brake cable is routed along the toptube.

Here's a full pic.

Comment

• Joe Remi
          Joe Remi commented
          Editing a comment
          If you zoom you can see my less-than-ideal solution for the gear sensor. I didn't want to unwrap the bars and add full housing from shifter to derailleur, so I went with the rather vulnerable rear loop on this road bike. I don't recommend this for a mountain bike catching branches on a trail.

• csipkay
          csipkay commented
          Editing a comment
          Joe!! That bike is totally the bomb! You should get some sort of Feature Highlight for that build.

• Joe Remi
          Joe Remi commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks man!!!

Hi

What are the crank arm lengths for the BBSHD and Cyclone mid drive kits? I have heard the BBSHD comes in 170 and 175mm but I don't see an option to select the size on the Luna website. Also, can you use the Shimano STePS crank arms with either the BBSHD or Cyclone cranksets? Including the Lunatic cranks?

Thanks

Comment

• Joe Remi
          Joe Remi commented
          Editing a comment
          I've bought two BBS02 and two BBSHD from Luna..all had 170s.

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Steps cranks can only be used on bbsxx.

• SJRides
          SJRides commented
          Editing a comment
          what length are the cyclone crank arms? And are there any options besides the stock ones and the lunatic one? thanks

Hoping to use my OEM 48V battery that came with my 70-pound RadWagon as I convert to BBSHD. Here's the connector from the battery tray. Those wires are 16 gage, eek. Should I attempt to de-solder from the terminals and attach Luna's 12 gage pigtails directly, or is 16 gage enough for a few inches of power? I'm planning to stay street legal mode (15-16 amps?) but may go for class 3, which is 28mph instead of 20mph. Thanks!

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok should be fine then, doesn't sound like the bms will trip. I would just leave the default wires long as you're not extending it. Maybe see if it's getting hot.
          Course if you already got soldering skills and don't mind doing it there's probably no reason not to.

• indyengr
          indyengr commented
          Editing a comment
          Soldering skills: I have clip-on heatsinks, some old paste in a syringe, some new flux and wire solder, and an 80-watt Weller with a wide tip. The biggest risk is melting the plastic body holding the battery tray contacts. I get that solder follows heat, but I'm an amateur. Do I sound like someone who should go for't? No is an acceptable answer...
          Last edited by indyengr; 05-28-2018, 08:22 PM.

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          I can't evaluate your soldering skills based off of what tools you own...
          Weller makes nice soldering irons so I would guess you're at least competent enough to buy nice tools.
          If you want to you could always leave an inch or so, strip it back and connect some larger wire by crimping it on with butt splices. Here's some step-down splices that'll go from 16-14 to 12-10ga. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Even Luna solder sleeves would work, though those thick pigtails really soak up heat and can take hitting it with a lighter for several minutes before you're good to go. Not impossible though.

Even just reducing the length of the smaller wiring is better than nothing. You could always hit it with one of those laser temp guns after a hard ride to see what it's looking like and see if you need to do more. A temp gun's like ten bucks. Personally i wouldn't mess with it unless I had to but I'm the kinda guy that's like if it ain't broke don't fix it :)

I just bought a a nice bbshd ebike that used a cannondale quick cx2 as the frame. My question is that the battery keeps shutting down in mid ride intermittently. When I'm full throttle I'm pulling 1590 watts but I don't think it's a case of pulling too much juice because it will just shut down randomly. When I check the status leds on the battery all I get is the red led to light up and none of the green leds. I will take the battery off the bike and check the voltage and it will 57-58 volts and I will check the status leds again I will get the red all green leds to light up and it will then power up the display when I put back on the bike. The battery is a 52 volt HL 13.5 amp hour. I thought these were rated at 30 amps continuous and when I do the math at 1590 watts an 52 volts is right around 30 amps., The previous owner said all the ebike parts were bought from Luna cycles and the build is about a year old.

Comment

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          Possibly tripping due to a short. When it is tripped take measurements of voltage with a multimeter not a charger display, measure from both discharge terminal and charge adapter. A charger may reset the bms. We want to know what voltage it's at while still tripped so don't plug it into the charger.

If there's a short check the wiring, and the discharge contacts, look for anything frayed, cut, kinked, covered in grime/debris or other unusual things.

If you can get the battery to consistently cut anytime you hit throttle you can try bypassing it to see if issue persists. You can also try a discharge test on the battery with some lights simply rigged up to pull power from the pack and see what it does.

These tests are a valuable source of diagnostic data. More info on them including videos is available in the electrical troubleshooting thread on the knowledge base.

• spitdogger
          spitdogger commented
          Editing a comment
          So I think I figured out what the problem was. I think the BMS was shutting the battery down on short circuit because of the battery connections between the cradle and the Shark pack. I had the older style connections. I have upgraded them to the newer bullet style connections and so far I have had no more shut downs. So fingers crossed the problem is fixed. Thanks paxtana for your help.

i am getting another BBSHD for my Ludicrous controller. New motors have spade connectors. I have read that spades are not good for high amp situations? i use a 60 amp setting. What connectors should I use on my controller to replace the Andersons? Thanks

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          Huh? Spades are for Version B and Andersons are Version A. Pick the right version that matches yours and you won't need to change anything. You should dial it back to 50 amps though otherwise you're probably going to burn the coils out eventually.

However, you'll wanna change out the other Anderson connector on your main power leads as they are limited to 30 amps only typically.
          Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 05-29-2018, 12:34 PM.

• New Mariner
          New Mariner commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the ludicrous controller on a2015 motor. anderson controller connections. just ordered another HD. plan on putting the ludicrous on it. have to change andeeson phase wire connectors to spade.

• paxtana
          paxtana commented
          Editing a comment
          If you really wanted to make it fancy you could do bullet connectors on it, like the high current gold plated ones sold for RC. They are sold by caste creations. But both spade and anderson will work with the current we are using.

May I place over phone and pickup from your shop instead of paying $80 shipping ?

Or better yet, can I go to your location, order and pickup a bbshd the same day ?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope for both of those. We can offer Local Pickup but not for same day. We require 3-5 business days to process. Email support@lunacycle.com for Local Pickup instructions. We don't do phone orders at this time. Sorry.
          Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 05-29-2018, 12:36 PM.

• indyengr
          indyengr commented
          Editing a comment
          What about random parts other than entire kits? Are those fetchable at the shop same day?

• HIGHVOLTAGE
          HIGHVOLTAGE commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope, there simply isn't enough staff available on hand to be able to accommodate a storefront where you can just pick up parts on the same day. Much of the staff is being used just to keep up with online order demand. Also Local Pickup orders have to be a minimum of $200 to qualify.
      Working...
      X