Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about the Luna Wolf Alite as well as other BBSHD premades. Do the stock BBSHD programming units have any speed limits imposed on them? Reason why I ask is while 2500W output is nice, I don't need the acceleration and the motor will last longer because it doesn't need to work as hard. But I also want to be able to ride above 30mph if need be.

Thanks!

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      No speed limit by default but you could add one if you wanted easily.

Just installed a Cyclone 3000 kit. How much resistance should there be to move the rear wheel backwards? The bike is still on a stand, so I have only tried to turn the wheel - I haven't tried backing up.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      You know I'm not really sure now that I think about it… There's definitely a good deal of resistance when you move BBSHD backwards but the question never came up on cyclone.

• noahp99
      noahp99 commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay, thanks - I'll see what it's like when backing up.

What max voltage should I expect for the first charge of a 72v soft pack? I'm using the Luna advanced charger set to 100% and 2amps. The charger seems to be leveling off at 83.3v and the current is dropping slowly - at about 0.4 amps but still charging.

Comment

• Kinni
      Kinni commented
      Editing a comment
      max charge on a 20s should be ~84v. Chargers slow down at 90% (most anyways) and lower current until the battery reaches max voltage. Each cell has a max voltage of 4.2v at max charge therefore 4.2 x 20 = 84v.

a tenth of a volt here or there shouldnt make a difference and you may not get exactly 84v for the first few cycles. On your first few discharges dont pull a whole lot of amps out of the battery, I wouldnt recommend more than a light ride for a couple of miles. Let the battery cool down for an hour and charge it again, rinse and repeat for 3-5 cycles. Dont let the battery sit at 100% for more than a couple hours. After 6 cycles, go for it.
      Last edited by Kinni; 06-02-2018, 03:13 PM.

• noahp99
      noahp99 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, battery charged to exactly 84v. Thanks for the break-in info; is it okay for the battery to sit at 85-90% for a couple weeks?

• Kinni
      Kinni commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes thats fine. Just dont let it sit at 100%. 80% for storage is ideal but 85-90% is fine for a couple of weeks. Heres a short link for ya,

Ebike charging for long Battery life So, you want your battery to last a long time?…remember that most people will not ride their ebike 500 times in their lifetime. Maybe hard to believe, but…

Originally posted by noahp99 View Post
    What max voltage should I expect for the first charge of a 72v soft pack? I'm using the Luna advanced charger set to 100% and 2amps. The charger seems to be leveling off at 83.3v and the current is dropping slowly - at about 0.4 amps but still charging.
    My new 72V batteries both charged to 84.1V. After about 200 cycles, they now charge to 83.6V. I would be curious as to how much you get after the full charging cycle. If it were my battery and it charged to anything above 83V, I would call it good and go riding.

Are you measuring the voltage with a multimeter? That would give a more accurate reading than a display.
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 06-02-2018, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• AZguy
      AZguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Most multimeters aren't very accurate - I wouldn't use one to "calibrate" or check [at least more than roughly] a charger unless I verified it against an accurate meter at the same voltages... YMMV...

I am seeking a replacement thumb throttle for a trike with Bafang 8fun hub motor and Bigstone C800 display. I must have dropped the throttle in a box I disposed of when I swapped in a different shifter and added other accessories. A Bafang BBSXX universal throttle gives error code on Bigstone display when connected and does not operate. Does Luna Cycle have a throttle that will work with the 8fun hub motor and Bigstone C800 display? I attached photo of what original throttle looked like on handlebars.

Comment

• commuter ebikes
      commuter ebikes commented
      Editing a comment
      3-pin connector?

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      We don't carry throttles like that unfortunately. Sorry.
      Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 06-03-2018, 11:19 AM.

• JCHobbes
      JCHobbes commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it has 3 pin connector

I recently purchased a full kit with the dpc-18 display. As I ride into the daylight and after a few minutes riding my dpc-18 display fogs up. There is a spot mid display you can see at any time and the fog/moisture shows up around it extending past the circular speed display. I have not ridden in any wet conditions.

Has this been documented as happening and is there a solution or a replacement display available? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180603_162910.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	66253Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180603_162916.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	66254

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Never seen that on a doc but have seen it on 750c. Have you tried opening it to let it air out or putting it into some dessicant

I just received a 48V triangular battery and would like instructions on how to set it up for use with a BBSHD kit. A video or specific directions would be much appreciated.

Also, I can’t seem to find a search function on this board to find appropriate info.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Is there some specific questions you had that were not covered in the softpack documentation page linked on the listing?

The discharge connector is xt90-s that is the big one. It includes a matching connector for the bbshd. You can also use an xt90-anderson adapter if you want.

The smaller yellow connector is xt60 for charging. Plug into charger and use as documentation recommends.

The board is a simple voltmeter. Plug it into the white plug on that small two wires, has a white connector. Press button and it shows pack voltage for a few seconds.

Doesn't need much in the way of setup on bbshd. You might switch the display to voltage mode if you got that type of display that has this capability.

Just installed a Cyclone 3000 using the standard mounting hardware that comes with the kit for 68-83mm BB’s, but I can’t figure out how to get the chain tension correct. I made the chain as short as I can, but there’s still more slack than can be removed by the chain tensioner. If I shorten the chain by one link then it’s too short - even if I remove the crank/chainwheel and try to reinstall with the chain on it.

I’ve looked at a lot of the guides online, but it looks like they are using longer mounting plates - so there’s more space between the motor sprocket and the chainring, which provides more room for the tensioner to work. The mounting plates that come with the current kit place the motor sprocket pretty close to the chaining, so the tensioner can’t move that much before it hits either the sprocket or chainring.

What am I missing?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5332.JPG
Views:	477
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	66296Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5341.JPG
Views:	476
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	66295
    Last edited by noahp99; 06-04-2018, 08:58 AM. Reason: Here are a couple pictures - when I use a zip tie to pull the chain tension down it gets squeezed between the motor sprocket and chainring, but there's still a lot of slack in the chain.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      A picture might help.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah you gonna need a shorter chain. Maybe a half-link

• noahp99
      noahp99 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, unfortunately, if I remove a link the chain is just barely too short (tried two different KMC chain types). I was thinking about using a half-link chain, but wasn't sure if they are strong enough for the Cyclone. They're not as strong as a standard chain, right?

What are other folks doing? Anyone using the brackets from the kit would run into this issue, since the distance between the motor sprocket and the chainring will always be the same - and the number of links needed will always be the same. Are people regularly using half-link chains, or are most people using custom mounts?
      Thanks

I was about to order Cyclone 3k kit with Sinewave ASI BAC 800 controller but suddenly in this page https://lunacycle.com/asi-bac-800-controller/ I saw this:
    • 3K Cyclone (not wired for extra accessories such as PAS, 3 speed switch and ebrakes)
    Does this mean I can't use PAS or ebrakes on this kit with this controller?

Comment

I want to put another battery or multiple batteries on my bike that are all the same. Is there a way of running them through a multiple position switch and be able to switch will riding or at the very least not having to unplug and plug in the cradles?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      There probably is but you'd have to DIY it yourself since it doesn't exist in Plug N Play form. Probably be just easier to keep them all unplugged and only plug in the one you're currently using.

I want to purchase the BBSO2 kit for my 35 year mountain bike how can I check whether it will fit before proceeding . I also want to adapt a 50v 20AH LIPO set up, do you have any suggestion will the standard controller handle the additional voltage?

Comment

I am also looking for how to install video for the BBSO2 , please point me in the right direction

Comment

thank you for the quick response

Comment

Can I used a BBSHD 120mm on a 73mm bottom brack bike?. Would i need spacers to make up the gap?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        120mm is too large and the motor would be off-center, plus the amount of spacers would be ridiculous. Not recommended at all.

I have a BBS02 kit with about 400 miles on it. I bought it with the 52v 13.5ah shark battery as part of the anniversary sale. I have the C961 display. The motor keeps turning off (like it would when the battery is low) despite the battery showing full charge on the display. This occurs when the motor tries to draw power - either with the thumb throttle or using anything above assist level 1. Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery allows the motor to turn on again (and show full charge), but again, the motor keeps turning off. Please let me know what you think. Thanks for your time.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, Definitely doesn't look good. Gonna have to dispose of the battery safely.
        Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 06-13-2018, 12:49 PM.

• cbamos
        cbamos commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you have any sense as to what caused the damage? Malfunction? Defect? Misuse? Thanks again.

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Likely water damage if there's corrosion and discolored paper.
    Working...
    X