Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

The description for the DPC18 indicates it measures Watts or Amps. Does this make the watt-meter redundant or unnecessary?

Is it possible to measure current chain offset to determine which BBSHD chain ring will give the best line?

Thanks!

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, you don't need a Watt-Meter if you have the DPC-18 but I should say that it will be easier to read your watts and amps on a Watt Meter vs the DPC-18 because the DPC-18 uses fancy graphics and not just raw numbers. So it can be sometimes difficult to see exactly how many amps you're pulling since you're just going by a bar that raises up and down.

If you're interested in choosing a different chainring with the BBSxx kit, you'll definitely want to take a look at our offset information guide on our forums. Since they all have different offsets, some are only best with proper spacing and a straight chainline. It's usually best to just go with the Default Stock Ring or 42T Luna Eclipse ring for the most reliable setup until you've judged what your chainline looks like first and what kind of potential spacing you can use for smaller or larger rings.

Because of the presence of the motor taking up space, the point where a chainring would mount onto the motor is pushed out to the right from where a chainring would normally be. Offset is defined as how much distance you are able to bring the sprocket closer towards the frame. This results in a better chainline, less likelihood

Help! How many customers have had to hone out their BB to accomodate the BBSHD? I cleaned & lightly greased everything and I still can't get it to go into the BB more than an inch or so.

Comment

• etriker
      etriker commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, thanks HV, I'm going to use a small brake cylinder hone. Should do a perfect fit job. Thanks again.

• Joe Remi
      Joe Remi commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, check that you don't have a screw in there holding a cable guide to the BB. It's easy to forget it's there, most standard bottom brackets are notched to clear it. No notch for BBSHD.

• Kinni
      Kinni commented
      Editing a comment
      I had to do this, used a dremel tool and took of just a tad off around where the tubes connected to the BB shell. Took about 5 minutes

How far can the Sur Ron go with a 2000 watt hour 60v 33ah battery?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Depends entirely on how it is ridden, as with any electric bike. Peg it full throttle and maybe only 20 miles. Put it in eco mode and much more.

Hi, I'm in need of a new controller. Does the 60 AMP 36-72V EBIKE BLUETOOTH PROGRAMMABLE CONTROLLER have 100v caps? Can I use my 22s battery? What are the max phase amps? This will be for my mxus 3k hub motor. Thanks! Derek

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      It is for 36-72v nominal, if this is not your battery it won't work, if it is then it will. Also this was made for cyclone not mxus, you would probably have to rewire the halls

• Devocpa
      Devocpa commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for the quick response paxtana. Yes I figured I'd need to find the right hall combo. My battery is 81.4 nominal, which is 92.4 off the charger but I could just charge to 4.1v per cell. I just need to know what caps are inside, 80v or 100v?

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry I don't have the answer to that. But it does not sound like this controller is best suited to your needs.

Never posted on any forum before so i may be doing this wrong. But regardless, is there some trick to getting the chain tensioner to actually keep my chain on the sprocket for the cyclone 3000w? The stock aluminum pieces that came with it bent before I even rode a mile. So i bought some steel and made my own chain tensioner. This worked much better and lasted about 100 miles. However, even the steel bent which left me stranded miles from home. (Even with all the tools i carry with me) just built another tensioner this morning, rode about 4 miles and it bent. If steel isnt working and the aluminum definitely didnt work, what arr my options. Also had to upgrade the spring it came with as the stock one stretched the first time i used it.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like either the chain is too long , or the tensioner cog is being pulled too far up into the rest of the drivetrain and catching on the other sprockets. I'd start with easing up on the tension a bit.

If taking a whole link out of the chain shortens it too much it may be possible to use a half-link instead. Just make sure it moves freely like the other links and isn't stiff.

I am finding the support email a bit slow so I thought I would ask here. My battery is not charging Please don't send me the link I have followed it to the point of opening the battery I have not done this yet as it says to make sure your supplier knows before you do this. Here is a copy and paste of where I am at.

The charger puts out 58v
    The battery was at 46v
    I did the bms reset and it still does not charge.
    I charged it through the output contacts, it accepts a charge and I charged it 52 volts
    There are no adapters being used.

I have not opened it up yet I am assuming that is the next step?

Reply From Luna

May I ask how there is no adaptor being used when it’s a Shark Pack? Do you have the charger port directly wired with XT60’s or something? Check your XT60 to Barrel adaptor as that counts as an adaptor and usually ends up being the culprit for these issues.

Also, do not charge your battery at the discharge contact points for longer than a couple seconds. It doesn’t go through the BMS and you can risk overcharging a cell and causing a fire hazard.

Reply from me with pics

The charger you sold me has a barrel connector be adapter. You can look on my order and see what charger I ordered. I assure you there is no adapter. Attached pics

Not going to attach pics please take my word for it the charger I was sold last year has a barrel connector.

So I would really appreciate any help I am waiting for the ok to open it up, I realize it is not under warranty I just want help figuring out what part to replace and how to get it.

Thanks

Craig

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Next step would be to measure voltage on the actual barrel with a multimeter.

Appreciate the reply but the first line where I say the charger is putting out 58v was measured at the barrel. I can charge the battery from the output pins, this proves it is not the charger or the battery cells. This leaves the barrel input, (a visual inspection shows no broken contact) or the BMS (I have already done the reset procedure), or a bad internal connection. I have looked at the battery not charging troubleshooting links and done all the troubleshooting as per the instructions. I know opening the battery is the next step i just want to know how to verify if the BMS has failed.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      There are no output pins on the barrel. If you have "output pins", you have an adapter. This is why it's important to take pics. All the advanced chargers have an xt60 (a yellow connector) and then the barrel plugs into that by way of a matching xt60.

Anyway the same troubleshooting guide you were no doubt linked has a video how to test the bms. It is an embedded youtube video on the page

Is there an extension wire for display to on/off button?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Unfortunately not. Sorry.

c961 display Can it program not to turn off ever, instead of 5 min. (Usable without speed sensor)

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      The other displays have this capability but the C961 is much older and lacks this ability unfortunately.

• kerrylaw7307
      kerrylaw7307 commented
      Editing a comment
      The C961 can be programmed to go to sleep from 5 -60 mins.

Hi. I have the BBS02 which I believe is 750W running with the Samsung 50+V 6AH battery. I added a shunt ammeter to the rig. Observed max current is never more than 8A which would translate to ~400W. Figure that the BBS02 rating of 750W would be just under 10A max. Performance is just fine and I am more than happy with everything, however, does the relatively limited max current mean there is something I could do to get just a little more pep?

Thanks,
    jA

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you know what the motor programming settings are set to? And did you measure the 8 amp currently under max load or only while riding on a flat road?

I have a couple of your mid drive kits. I replaced the stock chain ring (48 th) with a Luna Mighty-Mini 30 Tooth. It works well but I would like a bit more top end speed. The 48 is too much. Do you have a recommendation for something in between?

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Stock is 46. Sweet spot is usually 42t for folks that want to keep nice offset, though it sounds like you are not having chainline problems. Sizes and stock levels are varying depending on whether you have BBSHD or BBS02 but they're in the bafang parts section on the site https://lunacycle.com/bafang-parts/

Hey, so what motor/setup/battery would you guys recommend for a cargo bike? I've got a surly big dummy I want to start using for work travel pick up/drop off small things (off road). I was looking at the cyclone or the double gear hub motor but really have no clue what torque I'd need for hauling stuff up Seattle hills quickly. I'm very comfortable figuring out attachment/install and can machine parts as needed.

Comment

Hey Folks,

Can you confirm if the Luna Socket Set is for a 3/4 in or 1/2 in drive? (https://lunacycle.com/luna-socket-se...ng-mid-drives/) From the torque values, it seems like a 1/2 in torque wrench should do the trick?

Thanks!
    Last edited by 7200rpm; 06-07-2018, 03:01 PM.

Comment

I bought a set 2 years ago and they were 1/2 inch drive, however mine do not look like those. They have to be 1/2 inch though because a 3/4 drive torque wrench would be very expensive and the range would be much higher.

Comment

• Joe Remi
        Joe Remi commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the current set, how is the hole measured? I get 1/2-inch straight across, 3/4 diagonally across the corners.

• 7200rpm
        7200rpm commented
        Editing a comment
        Great, thank you. Yes, 1/2 in seems correct, even though it says 3/4 in on the luna page. It should be measured straight across.

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the feedback, listing updated to 1/2

Originally posted by xcnick View Post
      Is there an extension wire for display to on/off button?
      Waterproof extension cable for Bafang C850 (DPC-14) color display. Helps in remote mounting 3 Button switch or Display when used on such bikes as 3 wheel recumbents, Hand cycle trikes, etc. Note: Check your connection color before ordering 500mm / 20 inch Green 5 conductor (Display or 3 Button Switch) 1000mm / 40 inch

Comment

Working...
      X