Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last word should have been incompatible. Damn autocorrect.

Comment

I am looking for what size chain ring would fit a Trek Roscoe 7 2018 model. I have a 28T with the stock setup and am looking for what is the largest I can go safely with a Luna Eclipse ring. BBS02 mid drive
      Last edited by k-dogg998; 06-15-2018, 03:08 PM. Reason: Clarify mid drive

Comment

Question on tightening of Luna full grip throttle. It seems to be missing a piece that would grip the inside of the handlebar and prevent it from sliding off?
      Is there some sort of trick to getting these grips tight? Ive done motorcycle grips and handguards for years.

Comment

• Rodney64
        Rodney64 commented
        Editing a comment
        if you can send a photo of the throttle

Have a bike With 350w brushless hub motor.
      48v 10.2 ah battery Samsung.
      The bike have a range About 40km and speed is About 30 km/t.
      what can i buy to go abit faster and a longer range.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        Without knowing exactly what kind of motor it is and what connections it has, I can't tell you if it's upgradable or not. Usually in most cases it's not since most vendors don't usually make their products open to upgrades and performance improvements. If it's a 350w brushless motor, chances are that the internal components were designed exactly to handle 350w and no more.

You'd probably be better off just starting over with a new bike + a kit.

Hi, Luna!
      Sur-Ron is a great bike, but I have an issue with lower motor guard - it is made from very thin aluminum and bent already.
      It is too soft almost like a peace of paper or cardboard.
      Could you suggest or manufacture stainless steel type of this part?
      I think you need to consider this at least, like you develop and manufacture 60 teeth sprocket.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry, we don't have the answer to this right now.

Should the battery connector smell strange after being plugged in to the controller?

I've been plugging and unplugging my battery from my controller a lot while I get everything situated on my scooter.
      Right after I plug them together, the connector has an electronicy smell. Something like Ozone+Kapton+Pepperoni.
      It goes away after about 10-20 seconds.

I'm wondering if its the spark suppressor or something? I've never used connectors with a spark suppressor.

Anyway, it seems fine, I've done some test-runs out on the road long enough to get the controller and motor a little warm and the battery connector is completely ambient temperature, so I <think> it's fine.

LunaCycle 7,500W + Triangle 72V 17.5 AH battery.

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        You might not be plugging it in all the way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pwd...ature=youtu.be

• AlanKilian
        AlanKilian commented
        Editing a comment
        The connector looks perfect. No scorching, black areas or melting.

I drove around long enough to get the controller and motor hot and the connector was dead-cold.

It only smells immediately after I plug the battery into the controller.
        For 10 seconds or so and then the smell goes away.

• Kinni
        Kinni commented
        Editing a comment
        were you eating pizza and touched the connecter?

How hot should the outside of my 7,500W LunaCycle motor get?

I've been doing some longer test runs outside and the motor gets hot.
      I can hold it in my hands for maybe 20 seconds before it's uncomfortable.
      After cooling for about 20 minutes it's 34C (95F)

How hot is too hot?

Comment

• tklop
        tklop commented
        Editing a comment
        I am sorry I do not know the specifics and limits which might pertain to your motor, so I cannot be absolutely certain. But it sounds like you have it turning fast and happy already. I'd also venture to say if you can hold your hand on the motor at all--let alone for 20 seconds--it's probably not hot enough to be damaging itself.

Yet running consistently at 30MPH, you're using almost all your great big motor's energy to push against your very own self-generated headwind. It is working very hard, and so I'm not surprised it gets pretty warm.

The laws of physics being what they are, that's also why range drops exponentially with increases in speed. Perhaps you might try to go 25MPH for a ride--and see if it's running cooler. Maybe also, you might take the opportunity to see how much further you can go. If you're curious, try the experiment again at the minimal-wind-resistance "Goldilocks speed" of 20MPH for a charge, then compare your temperatures and range.

Though most of the time you may still opt for that 30MPH, you may find that those slower speeds offer you a lot more range--and you might enjoy that too sometimes, depending upon your plans.

If it is possible, I'd suggest you try to "streamline" your bike; to decrease your frontal area (and wind-resistance) any ways you can, to help it slip more easily through the wind. You don't have to go full-on "bubble-bike", but even little things can make a lot of difference. And go for a softer seat, with firmer tires. Seriously. Lose any low-pressure, knobby, or "fat" tires, especially--and you'll lower your rolling resistance a whole lot too. Combining both these things--streamlining, and lowering your rolling-resistance--may provide your motor substantial relief (and a temperature drop) without losing the speed you're accustomed to.

Best of luck!

Take care,

Tklop
        Last edited by tklop; 06-20-2018, 09:46 AM. Reason: for clarity

• AlanKilian
        AlanKilian commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks a MILLION!

It's great to have people to double-check things.

This is a Tomos Targa motor scooter, so I've got nice tires and a suspension.
        I'm just checking to see if ti gets too hot, and I think seems OK.

It's still got a plywood motor mount for testing before I build an aluminum one. That will help a lot with cooling also.

Here's a dumb video of me scootering around.
        https://youtu.be/7588cnGIjhE
        https://youtu.be/OkCAuY6hL3g

• tklop
        tklop commented
        Editing a comment
        I really admire your project!

Most of those same scooters (burning gasoline) are pouring out choking black and often blue smoke on the bike-paths here. Awful--absolutely awful. But not yours!

Yeah--I'm very impressed.

Kudos!

And take care,

Tklop

Do you carry offset left crank arms. Installing BBS02 in Jamis Dragonslayer. 73 BB but a + bike. Left arm touches. Drive side is fine just needs spacer. Thanks in advance.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        We usually do but they're out of stock right now. You can use anything that's square taper though. It doesn't have to be a Bafang crank arm

Do you carry or know of a brand of right side crank arm that is "inset" more than the Bafang right crank arm by 1/2"-5/8"?
      MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...
      2020 Banshee Paradox V3 1x11
      2018 Soma Wolverine 3spd IGH Belt Drive
      2018 Surly ECR 1x7
      1991 Schwinn Crosspoint 7spd (BBS02B)

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah, don't have that information. Sorry. Try checking with a local bike shop?

more brakes ? More power?

Comment

Originally posted by crowm View Post
        more brakes ? More power?
        The first high power ebike that I had built was assembled at the LBS. The mechanic couldn't tell me fast enough to equip it with the largest bicycle brakes manufactured. I put on hydraulic brakes with 203mm rotors, and this has actually saved me from hitting a car about 6 times (including last night).

I like to build ebikes with the largest motor that is available, and then I turn the system down so that the motor stays cool. If I ever get a battery that can put out (for example) a continuous 60A then I might turn the systems back up if I am 100% sure that it will be a safe ride.

Nowadays, I find that 40mph (current limited to 40A at 72V with a 95 pound bike and 250 pound rider) on my rigid fat bike is about as fast as I feel safe. When I was drawing 65A at 72V, I felt like that was definitely unsafe.
        Last edited by commuter ebikes; 06-18-2018, 11:38 AM.

Comment

where does one purchase the 4000w mini cyclone motors, listed in the ASI BAC 800 72V controller choose motor type*.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
            HIGHVOLTAGE commented
            Editing a comment
            The Mini Cyclone is technically only rated for 2000watts but you're free to over-do it and push it beyond it's limits if you want with the controller.

I purchased the BBSHD kit and am installing the gear sensor. I watched the video and the kit I received did not have the small end couplers that seal the gear sensor. Do I need them to install the gear sensor to keep moisture out? If so can they be mailed to me?

Comment

• Joe Remi
            Joe Remi commented
            Editing a comment
            Clarifying that I'm not from Luna and can't answer about shipping some to you: Those are regular end caps for derailleur housing. You can pick a couple up from your local bike store, or order a handful online. The black plastic and chrome metal ones both work fine for it.

• paxtana
            paxtana commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah what we sell is just the sensor itself, you still need all the regular stuff you would use to work with derailers like cable cutters, end caps, etc.

Hi,

I have the 750w geared rear hub motor. Unfortunately I think it needs new wheel bearings as there is play when the wheel is pushed from side to side and there are crunching sounds coming from the rear axle when the I ride the bike.

My question is, does anyone know how to replace the bearings? I presume they are cartridge bearings but don't know for sure and can't see a way to get them out.

The LBS have not seen anything like it before and don't have the tools or experience to service it.

I am willing to attempt it but would hope to gain some knowledge first before going in and wrecking it!

Thanks in advance,

John
          Attached Files

Comment

• paxtana
            paxtana commented
            Editing a comment
            I would think the cost of shipping both ways from Canada plus labor would be almost as much as getting a new kit. Yes the controller will only work with that motor, but you might be able to rewire the halls. Never had the opportunity to try that myself but it seems like a major PITA

• johnlamb
            johnlamb commented
            Editing a comment
            I would be shipping it back from Washington so maybe that wouldn't be out of the question depending on how much the repair cost would be.

What would be the cost of the rear wheel and motor without the whole kit?

• paxtana
            paxtana commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know what motor you have, pricing varies..

The bare motors that Luna sells are on this link https://lunacycle.com/motors/bare-controllers/

I just received my mid-drive kit and am in the process of installing it. I am trying to attach the chainring to the motor, but none of the five screws fit into any of the corresponding five holes. Did I receive the wrong size screws?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180619_202536.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.69 MB ID:	67416
          Attached Files
          Last edited by webicine; 06-20-2018, 10:01 AM. Reason: Edited to attach image of motor

Comment

• AZguy
            AZguy commented
            Editing a comment
            Sure looks like they didn't get tapped. Maybe something else but....

I'm the sort that would just tap them if I was convinced that was all it takes... but it's 100% understandable that might not be the choice here even if that's all it takes...

• Rodney64
            Rodney64 commented
            Editing a comment
            I replied to your email Webicine

• webicine
            webicine commented
            Editing a comment
            I bought a tap and will give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion AZguy.
        Working...
        X