Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ask an ebike technical question get an answer within 30 minutes or so.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hello!
    I would like to order the Cyclone Mid Drive 3000 watt Planetary Ebike KIT to Sweden...is that possible ?
    Thanx
    Vlad :)

Comment

• Rodney64
      Rodney64 commented
      Editing a comment
      Its currently out of stock

thanx! when is expected to be back? :)

Comment

Any of your street legal bikes (750w rated) able to handle a 390 lb male trying to get in shape?

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        With BBSHD? Yeah probably, though you would probably want to start out with a mighty mini chainring and possibly lowering the current a bit in the program settings. However we unfortunately do not ship prebuilt bikes overseas, kits only https://lunacycle.com/shipping/
        you could get a kit though and to do it on a bike there.. The conversion process is easier than you might think and we have a very comprehensive installation documentation

• commuter ebikes
        commuter ebikes commented
        Editing a comment
        You really want to use a cargo bike with very fat tires. I was in this same position, and my excess body weight was the cargo!

Just making sure I have all my ducks in a row. Is there anything else I need to buy?

Got this motor kit: https://lunacycle.com/BAFANG-750w-ge...r-front-wheel/
      And this battery: https://lunacycle.com/48v-pansonic-g...ck-huge-range/

Also got a charger for the battery.

Stopped by my LBS today and talked with them about building me a wheel, that shouldn't be a problem at all (lacing the motor into a wheel). We are also most likely going to upgrade the crappy disk brakes on the walmart donor bike to something more reasonable.

One thing I noticed this kit doesn't have is brake levers/detectors? Are those necessary?

Comment

• kcaravelli
        kcaravelli commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi, can I ask what charger you chose for the Killer Whale and why? Mine came with a very basic charger and I stepped on the chord that goes into the batter and it broke so I'm looking at getting a replacement and this is the one I though might be best: LUNA CHARGER 48V ADVANCED 300W EBIKE CHARGER
        $99.95.

Originally posted by blhack View Post

One thing I noticed this kit doesn't have is brake levers/detectors? Are those necessary?
      It will work without the brake cut-offs. They are more of a safety feature in the event something else (like the throttle) fails and the motor keeps running. It's a bit surprising that they are not offered as an option at order time. I assume the controller supports brake cut-offs - almost all do.

If it were me, I would be installing at least one.

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        We have remote power switches which you could wire into the power wiring that would accomplish the same thing

• blhack
        blhack commented
        Editing a comment
        Paxtana: thinking something like that. Or like the killswitch on a motorcycle.

Is it as simple as shorting a couple of pins together (or opening them)?

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Well it could be something as simple as putting a breaker on battery positive

I am ready to order one of the BBSO2 kits on sale, this will be my 4 th Bafang motor, my first BBSO2 for my first Montague I carry in the plane (I sold it, the bike that is, to another pilot when I upgraded to a newer model Montague, a BBSHD, and, what the hell, a Rohloff hub) and another BBSHD for my local trail riding fat bike. I am in the process of upgrading the bike I keep in my crane, as a dingy. The 350 watt hub drive fat tire folding 20" bike kind of sucks to ride in town (my main use for it) after experiencing the joys of a good mid drive! The other day I was riding through a pedestrian tunnel that goes under the railroad track in town, and the sound the hub drive makes really bugged me, not really loud but loud enough to make it obvious I was on an electric bike, I have gotten totally spoiled by the silence of the mid drives, and it's not about being stealthy or trying to fool people, I just like it better then the sound the hub makes.

The first LBS I went into, and asked about any cheap good used bikes, had a mechanic who had a 27.5" Giant Talon hardtail, with juice brakes and with a sprung front end. A quick glance (by now i know what makes a good donor bike to Bafangacize) showed the frame design would allow the motor to tuck up nice and high, and it also had a nice wide open triangle for a Shark Pack battery, with room to spare. I got it for $225.00! I have fitted folding handlebars to it, and folding pedals, as I only have 16" width in the crane box I keep it in.

My specific question (finally)....is, though I have yet to yank the old crankset out, measuring shows that the bare bottom bracket seems to be 75 mm wide, and I can't recall if the standard width of 68 mm Bafang will have enough thread to work on a BB that wide, it would seem I would need a 100 mm unit, with the appropriate spacers? But here's the problem I am having when I go to order on the LUNA site, I see no mention of the size of the motor, does that mean only 68 mm ones are on sale? If so, will it work on my 75 mm BB? Twice last week I was on jobs that left me hanging, with no transportation (the current crane bike is down for a new front tire, which I had to order it, I ruined the first one by it rubbing the sidewall against a bracket in the box it rides in), and I could have really used the convenience of having my own transportation, as it is so nice to get the heck off the job site and take a little break, it really helps my attitude on a stressful job, plus of course is fun. So, tell if the size will work and I'll order immediately! Thanks

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        There's no 100mm BBS02 only bbshd is 100mm option. Regardless I would strongly consider just shaving 1mm off each side of the shell so the regular size 02 or hd fits. Might have to leave off the jam nut and use locktite as well as the longer included screws and bolt spacers

Hi,

I am new to the ebike world and have already built 2 bikes. I am in need of some help from you awesome Magic Pie V5 experts.

I have a Magic Pie 5 and need help in figuring out why I have lost like 75% of my power.

I have a 48v 11amp Luna Shark Battery. Which is testing (volt meter) at 52 to 54 volts output. So I'm pretty sure that its not a battery issue.

I bought a new throttle thinking that that was the issue. Both have a button on the bottom. The old one use to turn the lights (on the throttle) on and off when I pushed it. Then about a day before it lost power the button STOPPED turning the display lights on/off. ALSO the throttle does NOT engage until about 60% "turn". Thus the reason I bought a new one. The NEW ONE is acting EXACTLY as the old one did. (lights, 70% turn before power).

I have to the best of my abilities tested and checked the power cables. All seem to be fine and I have unplugged and replugged all of them as needed.
      I have also gone into the "settings" of the Magic Pie v5 (via usb port) and all settings are "correct" for 48v battery, per Golden Motors youtube video.
      I have charged the battery to full
      Other then the lost of power the wheel has plenty of torque. I went to a part and took hills, no LOST of power, just acted like i was in a low gear and climbing.

Everything was working fine until I unplugged the throttle replugged in back in (after I parked it). Any help would be awesome and appreciated.

Thank you

Rambler

Comment

• OptimusPrime
        OptimusPrime commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you using a display? If so, disconnect it and see if it helps. These displays do go bad but the pie doesn't need it to run

No Display. Speed is (about) 5mph to 8mph. Max. I have it on a Stand right now running on cruise control. I'm trying to drain the battery. I also ordered a NEW wiring harness kit today from LUNA. Having it shipped priority to me ( I live like 20 miles from Luna) I'm really really hoping that, that will fix it. Motor worked like a dream until this event. I have set all factory settings back to "stock" via USB cable. Still not running anywhere like before (25mph).

Comment

This is a vs this that question. So I have a double wall rim less than 1 inch wide, vs single wall 1 1/4 wide. witch would be better for a heavy bike ,rear rim. this is for my Eroupa bike. spoke need replacing any way. thanks.

Comment

Thanks Paxtana, that was about what I was thinking. As much as I like my two current BBSHD's, I also really liked my first Bafang motor of any sort, the BBSO2. For this purpose, running around urban streets pretty much, the SD would be over kill, I'll make the 02 fit.

Just today, since making the above post this morning, I started to WALK from my tire shop ( where I unexpectedly had to stop by to get two new tires) to my crane yard, 5 miles away, I have nothing against walking, but down the main "miracle mile" drag with lots of traffic? After the first mile, it occurred to me that I would be passing by one of the two LBS in my area I frequent. This one is a real down home type of place, so I stopped in and asked if they had a bike I could borrow for a half hour or so, to save me the long walk clear across town, in mid to high 80 temps. In less then 3 or 4 minutes I was riding off on a brand new "Specialized Turbo" urban bike! Rear hub drive, 350 watts/48 volts (I think), and I have to admit, even in comparison with a hot rod BBSHD, the thing was pretty impressive. The LBS guy who hooked me up with it (knowing I'm friends with the shop owner, so relatively trustworthy, but not knowing me very well himself, in particular that i have 3 e bikes) got it on line and after we got it outside told me to "just pedal." I found later he had it set at the highest level of assist, and that probably accounted for the pretty much effortless ride across town at 20+ mph. This was my first full on production ebike ride of any length, and I can't imagine anyone taking it for a demo ride and NOT buying it, it was that slick and overall put together, and that's coming from a guy not really into hub drives, or factory bikes. I wouldn't want one for trail riding, but for urban riding this thing rocked. The price tag......$4000.00, and there's the catch, still, for the right person with the dough, who didn't want to mess with building their own (unlike me) it was a great off the shelf e bike. It sure as hell beat walking!

Comment

• DeathMachine
            DeathMachine commented
            Editing a comment
            What? I didn't get what your post was about. Not paying 4g for any bike. Use to run motorcycles at 180 mph. And I didn't pay $1500 for that death trap.

• OptimusPrime
            OptimusPrime commented
            Editing a comment
            I did almost the exact same thing. After building two ebikes, one hub motor and one mid drive, I wandered into a bike shop that happened to have a Specialized Turbo on the floor. The shop owner asked me if I wanted a test ride. My conclusions were like yours. It was a great ride with none of the little annoyances of dyi. The bike was silent so I guess it had a direct drive hub rather than geared but it performed wonderfully on the road. The funny part is if I added up all the money spent building my own, the Turbo wasn't that ridiculous at 4 grand. If I had it to do over I probably would choose to buy the turbo and forget all the dyi experiments.

Originally posted by DeathMachine View Post
          This is a vs this that question. So I have a double wall rim less than 1 inch wide, vs single wall 1 1/4 wide. witch would be better for a heavy bike ,rear rim. this is for my Eroupa bike. spoke need replacing any way. thanks.
          I used to be very heavy. On two occasions, I bent single wall rims. The LBS switched in double wall rims and I never bent those rims. Because of this, my two cents is the double wall rims.

Comment

• DeathMachine
            DeathMachine commented
            Editing a comment
            thank you some real info. Ed

• DeathMachine
            DeathMachine commented
            Editing a comment
            Not only thank you ! but you saved me some money!!!!

Luna apocalypse scooter only charging to 53.4 or 53.5 volts. Charger reads 58.8 before plugging in but cuts out at 53.5.

​​​​​​voltage on display for the scoot reads 54.8 as well what can I troubleshoot before opening it up?

Comment

• Lemark
            Lemark commented
            Editing a comment
            Any place I should start before cracking open the case *bump*

• paxtana
            paxtana commented
            Editing a comment
            Issue may depend on the charger. Some of the chargers need to be fully unplugged from both of the wall and the outlet for a good minute before you can change it to another charge percentage setting. Power is stored in the capacitors and it won't register that you have changed to a different setting until that power drains away to zero

• Lemark
            Lemark commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks paxtana I've left it overnight to still no avail unplugged. When plugged in it reads 59v (charger) no matter how long or what % I set the charger at. Is that normal?

Hello,
          I registered trouble ticket# 33472811.I just did my first ride on my BBSHD with the 48v 17.5ah Jumbo Shark, It was 60 miles. i did the rookie mistake of letting the battery get below 5% and this would have been my 3rd charge out of 6 balancing charges.
          The 48v mini charger stopped charging and started the known clicking/cycling on and off. I attempted a Jump to reset the BMS various times with no help. The charger output reads: 54.8, the battery discharge side reads: 43.9. the 3 pinned battery side charging port reads: 43.9.
          Continuity on wiring is good. I am at a dead end. The instructions on flipping your battery upside down and having positive on left and negative on right does not hold true on my battery, as you will see in the pics posted. (UPDATE) i just checked battery again since yesterday and now it reads 42.0vdc
          I would appreciate any help.
          Regards,
          Attached Files

Comment

• paxtana
            paxtana commented
            Editing a comment
            You will need a different charger, sounds like that's one of the ones that will only be usable with soft pack. We will get back to you with a solution soon as possible.

Thank you! I indeed hope it is this charger....haha!

Comment

I just installed a BBSHD kit on our tandem bicycle a little over 3 weeks ago, we now have over 600 miles on the conversion and we are thrilled. We have the hot rod version and a 52 volt 14ah battery and the 750C display. I have 2 questions, 1. Does it make any difference in battery life if is set the wattage at 20,25 or 30 and 2. What effect does the wheel size setting make on performance. If I set it at 26 the speedometer is a little slow compared to my Garmin, if I set it at 27 it is a little fast. We have 700 X 28 tires.

Comment

• paxtana
              paxtana commented
              Editing a comment
              Are you talking about setting the amps in the programming on the controller? Most settings in display will not affect battery life but setting in the controller will.
          Working...
          X