Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nexus 8 IGH on the way out -- What should I replace it with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nexus 8 IGH on the way out -- What should I replace it with?

Loved having this hub on my new bike for the past 4 years or so now. Bought the bike with it on and really don't have too much to complain about until a few months ago. Seems to be getting worse by the ride, or just about. Started having problems shifting at first. Thought it was a bad adjustment, but this is something I have always watched pretty close, so adjustment wasn't really the problem. What it does is have a hard time doing is moving down the gears mostly, but sometimes upshifting would sort of "clunk" going into gear. That clunk has now become a mis shift when going from 7th to 8th. It will actually drop back to 6th instead of going to 8th sometimes. I have to stop peddling, or somethings reverse pedal a bit to get it in 8th. No doubt my riding style and my 1000 watt mid drive setup didn't help I suppose. But, 4 years seems good enough, so now I just need to replace it.

I have given thought to just getting the same thing again, but I have also sort of dreamed about having a gearless hub like the Nuvinci. Really can't spend much more than either of these would cost, so keeping that in mind, what would be good alternates to look at.

Thanks for any helps.

-Rodger

I love my Alfine 8. I think they are similar. You can rebuild your IGH. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/nexus8.shtml

Comment

Took a little ride this morning to see how well this Nexus would take the long climbs up to Horsetooth Reservoir. For the most part it worked OK, but it did clunk a number of times upshifting. It was just about 45 miles round trip and took maybe 3 hours or so, with a sandwich break overlooking the Lake for about 20 minutes or so. Gotta fix it though, or one of this times I will have to maybe us a thumb to get home, HA!

-Rodger

Comment

You might want to relube it with the Shimano blue oil dunk method. http://thegoldenwrench.blogspot.com/...eared-hub.html

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have given thought to rebuilding, but pretty sure alot of stuff will have to be replaced. I have researched the Nuvinci hub and it's just not a tough enough option. May just buy another one of the same. We'll see.

-Rodger

Comment

Spinning Magnet's article on IGH's is informative, he was saying the Shimano 3 speed is a good option for ebikes, said the middle gear is very durable.

Comment

Do you guys think the Nexus is strong enough for a steep climb twice a day, 5 days a week?
              I currently run an 8 speed 34-11 cluster to 46 tooth chain ring.
              I want to convert my mid-fat Cooker but afraid my HD will blow any IGH up in no time doing 6,000 kms per year commuting via a very steep, first gear climb.
              I've seen conversions where they half the gearing/load on the IGH by placing it in the frame and drive back down to the wheel, but not sure if I really need to do that or not.

Comment

My 8-speed nexus has held up very well under high loads but I take it easy on it, especially while shifting.

I also have a spare, complete Internal Assembly pack sitting on the shelf - they can be had for about $120.

I plan on "converting" the hub to ATF.
                2nd build, 2018 Crust Scapegoat, BBS02 or BBSHD, Rohloff IGH
                3rd build, 2018 Crust Evasion step-thru, BBS02, Shimano Nexus INTER-3 IGH
                4th build, 2016 Salsa Marrakesh flatbar frameset, BBSHD, Alfine 8 IGH
                Electronic throttle lock

Visit the forum knowledge base

Comment

I guess I could try one in the wheel and if it blows up then repair and put in the frame.

Comment

Working...
                  X