This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luna 52V Mini Charger Clicking

I just bought two chargers and two 52V shark packs. I attempted to charge both overnight. The chargers run a few milliseconds then trip out and restart. Battery voltages went from 44 to 48 and 48 to 49. Is this normal? I expected a full charge by morning.

The packs may be out of balance and need conditioning charge time. As long as the voltage continues to climb while connected to the charger BMS is likely working to balance the cell groups.

If/when it does reach close to full charge (58V) it will probably require several more conditioning charges to insure the cell groups are in good equilibrium.

Comment

• max_volt
      max_volt commented
      Editing a comment
      Would brand new batts come defective?

• ykick
      ykick commented
      Editing a comment
      Battery packs spend a great deal of time at lower SOC during sea shipping and various supply chains. Perhaps more than ever since 30% SOC has become ICAO/IATA shipping requirement.

Internal BMS always ON and cells under parasitic drain so a battery pack may not be "defective" as much as it merely needs to be balanced/conditioned. Maybe the chargers have problems? But with logical troubleshooting steps someone can usually determine what's going on.

What is the procedure to test the chargers? Unloaded they are putting out voltage in the upper 50s. They only trip when connected to batteries. I don't have any known good batteries to test with. I also don't have a known good charger to test the batteries.

Comment

• ykick
      ykick commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry I didn't point this out sooner - https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ctrical-issues

Filament lightbulbs work as small charger test loads but so do several varieties of resistive heater elements found in appliances. Toaster ovens, range coils, space heaters, clothes iron, etc.

Merely connect DC directly to the heater elements. 50VDC will only draw roughly 1/4-1/3 rated power for 120VAC heater elements. In other words, 120VAC 1500W heater element will draw about 400-500W on 50VDC. Same principle using 100W incandescent bulb (if you can find one?) it only draws about 20-30W on 50VDC.

The main thing here is to determine/qualify the charger is capable of delivering some current. It doesn't completely rule out the charger but it does help rule out completely dead charger output.

Thanks ykick. When I got home from work charging on both packs was complete.

Comment

• ykick
      ykick commented
      Editing a comment
      That's improvement. May I suggest a few shallow discharges followed by more "conditioning" charges - left connected to work for long periods of time.

Hey guys, I'm back with the same question. I have around 10 full charge cycles on the battery. I took it down to 40v twice. It takes 2-3 full days on the charger to recover. At anything under around 50v the charger continues to trip after less than a half second of charging. Green/red, red/red, click, off/off, repeat. I tested the charger into a 14 ohm load (4.2A) and it was able to supply for about 30 seconds so it seems like it's working fine. Could I have a BMS problem? Another note, I tried both chargers in parallel into one battery with the same result.

Comment

Mine does the same thing. I'm hoping for a response to my trouble ticket with Luna.

Comment

Support gave me a coupon code for the value of the mini chargers in order to upgrade to the advanced 300W chargers. They don't want the minis back. Kudos to luna for taking care of their customers. That said, I have two mini chargers for sale that should work with older batteries.

Comment

I have the same problem with this 52v, 3a adv mini charger. It is a well known problem with the current batch of chargers. I have two, slightly older, but identical chargers that do not have this problem. I've contacted the vendor who does not seem to have a good solution. I've also tested three identical chargers on two similar 52v packs. The latest charger trips off and on with either pack. The other chargers work fine with both packs. I wonder if it's a current inrush problem with the charger. I'll open up the defective unit and a good unit to compare and then do a complete evaluation on the defective charger and try to determine how to fix the problem with the later chargers. How about an r-c combination on the output to slow and reduce the peak inrush current? Ideas and comments would be greatly appreciated. Lets work together to "crowd" solve this issue.

Comment

I TOO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. When I connect my 52v battery to the 52v, 3A Luna Mini Charger, the charger trips ... clicking sound and both led lights...on, then off, on, then off, and so forth. I just recently bought it, so it's brand new.

Comment

• ykick
            ykick commented
            Editing a comment
            email support@lunacycle.com with your order number and they'll take care of you.

Meanwhile if you leave the charger connected and clicking it will eventually climb above 50-51V and then charge normally.

I sent an email and this is the response I received:

NOV 01, 2017 | 08:16PM UTC
          Gary replied:

Hello we have a adapter that fixes this issue and I have marked for it to be sent out to you. You should see tracking within a couple business days. Just plug it onto the end of the charger and it will function normally.

-Gary
          Luna CS Mgr.

I will keep you posted.

Last edited by Grider; 11-14-2017, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grider View Post
            I might try that, but how long do you think that would take?
            Hi Grider, I have same Mini Charger. With my new battery (MightyMini cube) I began with 48.5v and 7 hrs later charger stopped clicking at 50v, and then proceeded to charge normally (no clicking) for about an hour to full charge.
            Today I received a connector from Luna, a plug which I presume (no directions or notes, naturally) to place between battery and charger. When my battery is depleted I'll try it out and post results

Would be good for the sake of transparency if Luna would place an announcement about this issue with the Mini Charger, and what the connector does to fix the problem, but I haven't seen it yet. Anyway, I appreciate receiving the free fix.

Comment

Closing this topic as we have already started sending the fixes out. Thank you for everyone's assistance in helping us diagnose & fix this issue.

Comment

Working...
              X