Throttle as pas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle as pas

Hope this is not a real dumb question but is it possible to use the throttle as pas on the bbshd. Only using enough throttle to match what cadence you want? Or is this nearly impossible to do lol. Like how the LIFT system works.

Quick answer, yes.

Numerous posters, including myself, do just this and in certain circumstances it's preferable. You'll need to determine when, how often, and how much throttle use suits you personally. For most this takes some practice. A learning curve may be required to apply power without excessive torque to your driveline (chain, sprockets, derailleur, etc,). It has been my experience that different throttles even of the same kind/brand react differently to input (primitive, cheap design) and can be somewhat unpredictable. You'll hear the term rolling the throttle. If you use an e-bike throttle like a motorcycle you may end up stranded or at least replacing driveline parts prematurely.

Comment

I recommend using a half-twist throttle for this. I can twist the throttle to the power I want, then clench my whole hand on the rest of the grip, locking the throttle in place. It makes it very easy to sustain a throttle setting even going over bumps and catching air.

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far. I assume you are doing this in pas 0 ?
        Another question though. What happens when you are using a pass level and you start pedaling faster than the speed or rpm that that level is set for. My build is going to be for city and open road long hauls. I imagine using a pass level on open road is best but seems to me using the throttle as pas in city would be way better than trying to change pas levels constantly??

Comment

The assist levels can be programmed to whatever you desire. Not just 0-9 but 1 could be for flats, 2 could be for single track, 3 for a certain stretch of road, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott S View Post
            Thanks for the replies so far. I assume you are doing this in pas 0 ?
            Another question though. What happens when you are using a pass level and you start pedaling faster than the speed or rpm that that level is set for. My build is going to be for city and open road long hauls. I imagine using a pass level on open road is best but seems to me using the throttle as pas in city would be way better than trying to change pas levels constantly??
            I tend not to use pas on flats or declines unless there's a headwind but on long inclines I will leave the pas on desired lvl and use throttle for short increases in incline while leaving the pas in whatever lvl it was. In other words if I have several miles of 5% grade to climb and am in pas 1-2 & there are short increases to 7-10% I will simply match current pas with throttle & then increase throttle as necessary. A note of caution; while the HD is very robust & virtually impossible to overheat it's my belief one should still match gearing to the situation unless of course speed trumps all other considerations.

As Jasdidit mentions you may wish to try a half twist. I have no experience with these but there have been times on technical off-road it may have been easier over a thumb. The jerking of your hand can make things mighty exciting.

Comment

I have my left hand thumb throttle mounted where I can keep a firm grip on the bars, while also keeping my thumb on it without any unwanted motion. I very rarely, almost never use PAS while trail riding on my fat bike, but just pedal as much as I can and add whatever more power is needed via my thumb. I seem to get my best range this way also.

Comment

Yes. As a motorcycle rider I may go with the half twist on right side.. At first I was thinkingn left thumb but not sure now. Plus I will be using Tektro Dorado's with cutoffs so if in a pass level I can use the left brake as a clutch. The Dorado's have no grab with small movement but will shut motor off so no need to stop pedaling. This way I can avoid the gear sensor. Not sold on it and have read to many issues with longevity. Just another part in the system that can go wrong. Also if a shift were to go bad and the sensor kicked in it could be disastrous lol.
                I am glad the pas overriding throttle issue is being taken care of as I will be ordering my bbshd and battery soon.
                Last edited by Scott S; 10-05-2017, 09:11 PM.

Comment

So I have been thinking about the right half twist throttle and not making sense to me lol. How do you guys use this when the outer half of he grip is fixed? I still think a left hand thumb throttle that moves vertically (universal thumb throttle on left) would be the less evil of all of them. But now I am reconsidering the gear sensor though I most certainly could live without it

PS. A right full twist could be an option for me. Any thoughts or users here
                  Last edited by Scott S; 10-06-2017, 08:40 AM.

Comment

I prefer the full twist from Luna, but mostly because it is more accurate in the low ranges, not just because it is full twist. It seems like a waste to buy them all and try them, but may be the only way to decide. We have been having a bit of a problem doing what you want, but it may be solved now. https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...e-and-pedaling

Comment

Thanks. Ya I read that whole thread. Looks like the issue is solved as I stated in a post above. Back to working like they did and should.

Comment

Working...
                      X