Documentation of changes to programming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Documentation of changes to programming

There has been some conversation here about changes to the programming of the BBSHD, but no definitive details from Luna. It would be helpful to buyers to have a central location that documents the various changes and their effect as well as serving as a file library. At this point a buyer has no real idea what settings are being run on their controller unless they buy a programming cable and a PC that can run Windows, since the serial number on the drives is not linked to any software version. Even then they will still not know what settings Luna is recommending and shipping to their latest customers. At minimum a list of the various programming versions and the dates that Luna was shipping them would let buyers know if they want to upgrade into the newest version.

Keeping a copy of the most recent, as shipped today, programming online where we can refer to it as a reference would be of great benefit too. If improvements to the programming are being made on-the-fly to increase longevity and reliability the more owners who update, the lower the warranty costs to Luna in the long run.

That's a very good suggestion. It would be nice to have Luna's new and prior file versions available on their site. We could figure it out from there - documentation and a changelog would be a bonus.

Once when I changed mine I let it save to the default file name, so I've overwritten my original. Would be nice to get a copy again.
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Hear. Hear.

Comment

Ok we can post the programming we use here.

As far as changes we make they are pretty minor on the units on the BBSHD we send out to customers.

I will send screen shots next time we are in the program.

On a totally different note I just heard from the Bafang leadership that they are not happy with the stock settings being changed .

They dont realize that almost every major dealer is doing this....maybe not the chinese ones.

I am trying to talk them into not disabling programming ability in future bbsxx controllers....

Comment

Cool thanks!

And good luck with the discussions. I'll mention now that having access to settings was a major selling point for Bafang, to me. I'm sure others feel the same. Make sure they know we consider it a valuable feature which sways business their way.
          Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

If it wasn't programmable I wouldn't buy it or spend effort supporting it for others. It is what differentiates BBSHD from the others for me.
            Alan B

Comment

If I wanted non-programmable, I'd buy a Bosch.
              Alan B

Comment

I was just getting really psyched with some re-programming I did. Totally cool feature.

In fact I'm so pleased with the ability to do that, and the wealth of information from all of the pioneers here, on ElectricBike-Blog.com, and Endless-Sphere.com I was getting ready to send a big "thank you" to Eric, Karl, et.al. Hadn't occurred to me yet that Bafang would have an opinion on the subject.

I'm feeling really good about being part of a community that has the maturity to take responsibility for making stuff (and making it better). I guess I can see how a manufacturer (and their lawyers) would be scared of how lame people can be about taking responsibility sometimes but its kinda depressing.

Comment

I think it is more of a culture clash situation as opposed to a liability lawyer one. IMHO, Bafang just does not "get" what we are doing with their stuff. They want to make dull, reliable electric transport tools for the masses and we want hopped up sports bikes for playing around or for high speed commuting. After having so much trouble with early failures of hopped up BBS02's they over-reacted with the BBSHD and drastically de rated it so they would have zero warranty claims from normal usage. Sooner or later Bafang will wake up to the profit potential of selling higher performance versions of their motors, perhaps they could have an AMG/Msport division at a higher price to offset possible higher warranty claims.
                  Last edited by Lance Tesla; 04-24-2016, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Eric,

If it's risky to insist on supporting user programming and it makes Bafang unhappy, I don't want that to be an issue for you. Personally, I would be OK with you officially stating that any user programming is 'at our own risk' and not warranteed. If the programming info and .el files need to be user-maintained here on the forum to help you maintain good relationship with Bafang, that could work. Anything to keep them from locking it down.

On the other hand, their objection to not wanting DEALER custom programming is detrimental. Different markets have different needs. Dealers are responsible for market integration.

Dealers handle warranty, right? I'd understand if Bafang wouldn't reimburse dealers for warranty if dealers changed the programming, but I suppose that system is hard to enforce. If Bafang does reimburse dealers for warranteed units, then I understand their concern. I hope you can find a way to make it all work.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Luna View Post
                      Ok we can post the programming we use here.

As far as changes we make they are pretty minor on the units on the BBSHD we send out to customers.

I will send screen shots next time we are in the program.

On a totally different note I just heard from the Bafang leadership that they are not happy with the stock settings being changed .

They dont realize that almost every major dealer is doing this....maybe not the chinese ones.

I am trying to talk them into not disabling programming ability in future bbsxx controllers....

Eric,
                      Where exactly are your setting posted? I've been searching this entire forum for your BBSHD hot rod settings and haven't found them. I've asked on this forum with no replies. I've asked in your website's chat window and was told to look in the forum (yes, I did a search for "HOT ROD SETTINGS" with no direct results).
                      I just spent over $1300 with you and I'm very frustrated with the lack of documentation. Can you please provide a straight forward, non-evasive answer, like a direct link to this documentation? Better yet, how about an .el file?

Comment

There is a ton of information here. https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...hd-programming

Comment

Originally posted by mtm408 View Post
                          There is a ton of information here. https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...hd-programming
                          Thank you for your response mtm08. I've read through that entire thread already. I'm simply looking for the actual hot rod off road only profile that Luna Cycles uses with the BBSHD. I'd like to download the .el file and try it.

Comment

I sent you a PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X