Dual battery set up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual battery set up.

Can any one point me towards a suitable switch I could use, so that I can safely switch from one battery to another ,without having to unplug cables ?

Originally posted by Kenm View Post
    Can any one point me towards a suitable switch I could use, so that I can safely switch from one battery to another ,without having to unplug cables ?
    http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...eed-more-range

Comment

I've got two very different batteries on my bike - a 48V dolphin on the rear rack and a 52V shark on the front downtube. I mulled over a switch and anything rated for >30A is large and expensive. I'm not terribly interested in going with something not rated for at least 30A since it will simply introduce a potential failure point. I considered a relay and just decide to KISS...

Two sparkproof XT connectors. I took an unused connector and sealed it up with heatshrink to put on the unused battery connector. I do have to stop to switch them but that to me is a non-issue and it takes about five seconds to swap. Instead of creating a potential failure point I've created complete redundancy should battery or it's wiring fail. If the switch fails you are SOL.

Comment

• calfee20
        calfee20 commented
        Editing a comment
        Well all I can tell you is I haven't tried it ......... yet. If you read the thread the two guys that have done this have received a lot of negative reactions BUT they have not had a signal problem.

That switch is rated at 20 amp X 120 volts AC or 2400 watts and it is designed switch things on at full power which is the hardest thing for a switch to do. In our use case the switch will be activated under no load.

I think in your case this would be very attractive seeing as you have 2 batteries with different voltages. That switch is cheap. If I were to try this I would still have the XT-90s on the batteries and the load so that if the switch failed you could just unplug and bypass the switch.

• max_volt
        max_volt commented
        Editing a comment
        I think your conclusions are spot on.

Have now set up my dual battery set up, and tested it today. I have the Shark, 48volt, 17.5 AH as my main battery, which gives me about 70klm in a mix of flat and hilly terrain, and I have added a mini cube to get me home if I run low on power .I tested the mini cube today and achieved 27 klm ,cruising at about 17 klm/hr, with the display showing 87 % left at the end. Obviously the display is inaccurate, but there was plenty left at the end of the ride.
      I have set it up with the mini cube in a bag on the rear carrier ,and two 100 amp key operated switches ,one for each battery. I just use the one key, so one battery is turned off, and the key removed to turn the other battery on. This makes the change over very easy, and saves having to unplug the XT90 connectors, and also makes sure only one battery can be on at any time.
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X