Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to order a Bafang, should I get the Mid Drive Installation Tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to order a Bafang, should I get the Mid Drive Installation Tool?

A lot of information on the websites, yet...

The write up at https://lunacycle.com/bafang-mid-dri...tion-tool-kit/ says you need the special tool to install the Bafang, then it says the tool is for bike shops. I don't understand, do I need this tool? I don't want to spend 55 unnecessarily, nor do I wish to kill myself on the install.

Side note: in Luna's install video they talk about how easy it is. And they are using this tool.
    Last edited by gerryscat; 12-23-2017, 03:56 PM.

Looking at https://lunacycle.com/luna-cycle-ebike-tool-kit/

is that wrench (2nd one in from the top left) the same configuration?

Comment

You don't need the pro tool, but man it sure is nice to have.

There's a bunch of other tools that will do it covered on the wiki, even a hammer and flathead screwdriver. But this can be torqued down easily, you can use a breaker bar easily as well, and it doesn't mark it up.

Also I don't know about you but I have always felt there is something uniquely satisfying about using a socket wrench, just feels nice. I think it comes from years of growing up watching my father and his father building and fixing things.

gerryscat no that is not the same tool, that is for the black lockring only (the jam nut)

Comment

Built 2 HDs so far without either of those. Did I scratch it a bit? Yes I did, so too effing bad.

Comment

Well, I really don't like struggling with these installs, so I think I will add it to my cart...

Comment

I'm a hammer/drift (soft alloy/brass punch) installer with regard to the steel 4 notch nut. But the Alloy lock ring is easily tightened properly using BB spanner/wrench found in the Luna 21pc tool kit. For that reason, I put my money in the tool kit which is extremely useful and of great value, IMO. You can also add the Luna install wrench for $10 to tool kit order.

If money's no object, grab the socket. But best bang for buck, the tool kit and sensible use of hammer/drift is hard to beat.

Comment

That 55 dollar one comes with two pieces. They are very nice and handy to have. Of course if you are only ever going to an install once, the luna wrench is a good option. In a pinch you can use pipe clamps....or a hammer and flat head screwdriver. My philosophy was if I am paying 1500 for a battery and kit I'd better not wince at 55 to get it done right.

Comment

Working...
              X