Black box programmer questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black box programmer questions

I have a mid drive BBSHD 1000 watt motor, I just received a black box and was wondering how do I know if I'm programming 750, 1000 or 1500watts? I've only used it on beginner mode and there aare 4 options to choose frome and none say anything about what it's set on. Is there an option to set them setting on

No mention in the HELP menu?

Comment

If you go into advanced mode you can change the current (Amps) its set for 30 with the Luna Hotrod settings. If you want to program to 750 watts touch the 30 (if programmed to Luna BBSHD settings) another screen will come up and type in 15 and hit enter. which is the back arrow.

Now select write, another screen will come up.

Do you want to confirm this operation, if you hit yes then the changes you made will be written into the controller.
      Last edited by Rodney64; 01-30-2018, 03:46 PM.

Comment

What if I want to program it to 1500

Comment

• Rodney64
          Rodney64 commented
          Editing a comment
          program it to 30 amps, this will be 1500 watts on a fully charged 52 volt battery.

Rodney, what would it be on a 48 volt battery

Comment

• max_volt
          max_volt commented
          Editing a comment
          30 times 48 equals 1440

What is the highest amp setting on a BBSHD that you can safely set

Comment

• AZguy
          AZguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Stock BBSHD is limited to 30A

'safe' is relative. The higher it is set, the more aggressive the program, and the harder you use it, the more you stress it. At high cadence I think 30A is pretty safe, for a pretty long time. Maybe continuous. But 30A lugging in high gear up a hill makes heat faster. Can't do that, for long.

OTOH a Ludicrous can do 45A on my fat bike in the cold winter for bursts in deep snow, happily. I've done that for maybe 30 seconds? Not sure.

Feel that motor after a hard long pull. Is it hot? No? OK, try more...

temp sensor can be added but I just feel the case..
        Last edited by JPLabs; 02-01-2018, 01:46 PM.
        Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

• AZguy
          AZguy commented
          Editing a comment
          I do the same, just feel the case every now and then when I think I'm pushing things.

I used to do a lot of low speed lugging because of my limitations and because until I got a batt-man I quite erroneously thought the current limits were motor currents and not battery currents! Chewed up a driveline doing that but even when it was 45-50°C the motor exterior never exceeded ~55°C... anyway, I've since learned from the error of my ways and have also improved my ability to keep a higher pedal cadence (in the process of getting a new leg too - I could build three-four bikes for the out-of-pocket costs though and this year will be very limited in what I can spend on ebikes =[ ).
      Working...
      X