Bottom Bracket Stripped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottom Bracket Stripped

FYI I know nothing about bikes and sorry if I use wrong terms for things.

I finally got my cyclone attached to my bike but noticed it wasn't tight enough, the square taper. I took everything off and tightened it and it ended up stripping and does not stay fully in the bottom bracket of the bike, talking about the frame at the bottom. I tried holding together from each bracket with zip ties, loose hose clamp, and I zip tie the hell out of it to hold to frame so doesn't fall. I have no idea if it's fixable or not and I not knowing anything about bikes think that I must pay for a new bike and RIP this first beauty of a bike I ever bought.

Originally posted by Valmek View Post
    FYI I know nothing about bikes and sorry if I use wrong terms for things.

I finally got my cyclone attached to my bike but noticed it wasn't tight enough, the square taper. I took everything off and tightened it and it ended up stripping and does not stay fully in the bottom bracket of the bike, talking about the frame at the bottom. I tried holding together from each bracket with zip ties, loose hose clamp, and I zip tie the hell out of it to hold to frame so doesn't fall. I have no idea if it's fixable or not and I not knowing anything about bikes think that I must pay for a new bike and RIP this first beauty of a bike I ever bought.
    The worst case scenario is a new frame. All the other parts are fine.

Take it to the local bike shop and have them rethread the bottom bracket. I did this once for a badly dented bottom bracket. They fixed it for $80.

If it is a very expensive frame, most frame builders can remove and replace the bottom bracket.
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 04-01-2018, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by commuter ebikes View Post

The worst case scenario is a new frame. All the other parts are fine.

Take it to the local bike shop and have them rethread the bottom bracket. I did this once for a badly dented bottom bracket. They fixed it for $80.

If it is a very expensive frame, most frame builders can remove and replace the bottom bracket.
      Thanks I'll call my local bike shop tomorrow and see. I'd rather pay $80 then $500 for the bike again (not sure if $500 a lot for new bike but definitely is for me)

Comment

Originally posted by Valmek View Post

Thanks I'll call my local bike shop tomorrow and see. I'd rather pay $80 then $500 for the bike again (not sure if $500 a lot for new bike but definitely is for me)
        If they can't fix it, you can definitely score a used frame very economically and put all your parts on the new frame.

You will find a large variety of used bare frames for sale.

The bike shop can point you in the right direction to put you in a position to reuse your crankset (looks to be part of your mid drive kit), front and rear wheels (noting tire diameter and width along with rear hub width), headset (size and type), fork (straight or tapered steering tube) and seat post (noting seat post diameter).

Let us know if they were able to rethread the stripped bottom bracket.
        Last edited by commuter ebikes; 04-02-2018, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X