Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charging Luna Batteries in Garage? Is it Safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging Luna Batteries in Garage? Is it Safe?

i have a couple of the 52v Mighty Mini Samsung 30Q, a 52v Wolf Samsung 30Q and a 52v Wolf Panasonic GA 13.5 batteries. The Mighty Mini has the soft case. Is it safe to charge (not all at the same time) these batteries in a garage? I am using the Advanced Luna 300W charger. I keep an eye on them so I don’t overcharge. I also travel in a RV and I want to safely charge the batteries while traveling. I did purchase the ammo box style case for charging the Mini's to add some safety insurance. Do I need one for the Wolf since it is a potted battery?
    Last edited by Lakejumper; 11-29-2018, 02:21 PM.

It's fine. Batteries rarely ever combust unless they're overcharged or there's something wrong with the internal wiring, but usually the BMS would cut it off before anything could happen. A Garage is the best place to charge it anyways if it's in a dry spot since if for some freak reason it does combust, at least the fire will have started in the garage and not in your house meaning less damage and potential danger overall to yourself or potentially your family.
    Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 11-30-2018, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Technically speaking on the Wolf you bought, you would benefit from both the potting and the cell level fusing in the event the pack was overcharged to the point of failure or had an internal short due to any other reason..

The potting not just protects the pack from water, impact, and overheating, it also is flame retardant.

And the genuine cell level fusing will isolate the circuit so it's not just dumping more power into the fault if there is a dead short within the battery banks.

Neither of these new safety features are found in any other ebike batteries, only our Wolf and the Fusion packs we build for prebuilt bikes. These are literally years ahead of the competition in terms of safety.

Sure a chargesafe would not hurt, but keep in mind this is a much safer battery so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Comment

Thanks High Voltage and Paxtana as this info is very helpful.

Comment

I placed a smoke detector in the garage near where I charge my own Mighty Mini. Just slightly more safety insurance.

Comment

• Lakejumper
            Lakejumper commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a great idea. I just bought a 2-pack of alarms from Costco.
        Working...
        X