Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OverVolting a 48v 1000w motor with 96v 10ah battery....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OverVolting a 48v 1000w motor with 96v 10ah battery....

Hey everyone,

I overvolted my 48v motor with a 96v 10ah lipo batteries hooked to a 72v 1500w 42a controller. My max speed is Only 44mph, how could I increase my speed to 50+ mph?

Do I need to increase my amps on my controller or the capacity on my batteries?

I'd really appreciated the help, thank you.

Are you sure you want to ride 50mph on a bike whose mechanical components are probably designed for 20-25mph?

Putting that aside, you should check and see how many amps are actually being drawn with your current setup. With a 10ah pack, I would question if the pack can deliver the 42 amps your controller can handle. You may need more cells in parallel.

Comment

Yea why not... I want to ride my bike on the freeway one day.
      Last edited by Trophix; 12-23-2018, 08:25 PM.

Comment

My controller max amp is 42 with 18s batteries that have 10ah at 10C.

Comment

• commuter ebikes
          commuter ebikes commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like you're running two 10Ah batteries in parallel.

What is the rating for the maximum continuous power for the motor that you are running? If it is 1000W, then running more than 10.4A continuous in a 96V nominal system would begin to overheat the motor. I don't know if you have a temp sensor, but it is not recommended to run hub motor temperatures over 90 to 100 degrees C, although I have (accidentally!) hit 127 degrees C without damaging the motor.

Generally speaking, you would raise top speed by (1) raising the system voltage, (2) using a motor with a speed winding or (3) running larger diameter tires. You would need to have adequate current to reach and maintain the desired top speed, of course.

FYI my bike requires 3000W to maintain 40mph, but my (bike + rider + cargo) weight is 335 lbs.

If you want to build a 50mph bike, I would use a 50H motor http://www.cnqsmotor.com/en/article_...Motor/258.html with a speed winding (easy special order) on a bike with full suspension wearing moto-level protective equipment.

There is a chart in the link that anticipates 41.67A in a 72V system to reach a top speed of 80kph (using a 26" wheel and their motor with the highest speed winding). You can run that motor at 31.25A in a 96V system without overheating it, although I don't know if 31.25A would propel your particular load to 80kph. In any case, that manufacturer seems to believe that 3000W would propel an ebike to 80kph.
        Last edited by commuter ebikes; 12-23-2018, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by commuter ebikes View Post
          What is the rating for the maximum continuous power for the motor that you are running? If it is 1000W, then running more than 10.4A continuous in a 96V nominal system would begin to overheat the motor. I don't know if you have a temp sensor, but it is not recommended to run hub motor temperatures over 90 to 100 degrees C, although I have (accidentally!) hit 127 degrees C without damaging the motor.

Generally speaking, you would raise top speed by (1) raising the system voltage, (2) using a motor with a speed winding or (3) running larger diameter tires. You would need to have adequate current to reach and maintain the desired top speed, of course.

FYI my bike requires 3000W to maintain 40mph, but my (bike + rider + cargo) weight is 335 lbs.

If you want to build a 50mph bike, I would use a 50H motor http://www.cnqsmotor.com/en/article_...Motor/258.html with a speed winding (easy special order) on a bike with full suspension wearing moto-level protective equipment.

There is a chart in the link that anticipates 41.67A in a 72V system to reach a top speed of 80kph (using a 26" wheel and their motor with the highest speed winding). You can run that motor at 31.25A in a 96V system without overheating it, although I don't know if 31.25A would propel your particular load to 80kph. In any case, that manufacturer seems to believe that 3000W would propel an ebike to 80kph.
          I’m not sure what the maximum rating is but i’m not Running the motor continuously @40mph. I’m just doing short bursts of speed.
          Last edited by Trophix; 12-25-2018, 04:38 AM.

Comment

• JPLabs
            JPLabs commented
            Editing a comment
            If you increase voltage and reduce current, you can run higher power with LESS motor heat generation, it is not constant with respect to motor power. Current matters. Current makes heat.
        Working...
        X