Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to this, need sugestions for front hub kit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to this, need sugestions for front hub kit.

So much information I am overwhelmed,
    I have a Rans Stratus LE recumbent bicycle that I would like to install a 20 inch front hub motor on, I would like something simple to install and use but looking for a quality setup.
    Just had pacemaker surgery and need a little help to get me back in shape, I am leaning towards a gear drive hub for the free wheel aspect but I am new to this and have no experience other than what I have read on the forum.

Thank you..

I am just now trying to install a front mac motor from Luna in my 20" front Ryan Recumbent. Very similar. I am trying to figure out how to compensate for the motor being off-center. Do I just force washers on the non-disc brake side? By the way, I had to grind the dropouts much larger to fit the axle.

Comment

Originally posted by lentuk View Post
      So much information I am overwhelmed,

Hi lentuk,
      And welcome to the forum!

Lots of things to take into account... My experience is solely piloting a Magic Pie 5 rear hub motor. But I just wanted to say that if your interested in a geared hub, regeneration is not doable with that type.(If that's important to you)
      I'd also recommend a lighter motor on your type of bike especially in the front. Like the magic Pie Edge if you'd want a Direct Drive. These Pie kits are pretty good, with an internal controller, just add battery and perhaps display.

Originally posted by Stu Summer View Post
      I am just now trying to install a front mac motor from Luna in my 20" front Ryan Recumbent. Very similar. I am trying to figure out how to compensate for the motor being off-center. Do I just force washers on the non-disc brake side? By the way, I had to grind the dropouts much larger to fit the axle.

Hi Stu!

Hub motors need to be dished when mounted into the rim. Plenty of information about on this...

I just had my rear wheel driven Luna motor laced into my wheel and now it does not fit centrally with less than 1/4 inch on the non drive side. Is this going

I assume that you have a steel front fork and are planning on using two torque arms, one on each side of that monster! :-)
      See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub motor E-Bike build HERE.

Comment

Working...
      X