Trek stache 5 compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trek stache 5 compatibility

Hi i have been trying to find out if the trek stache 5 would be able to accept a bbshd 750w kit.any help or exp would be greatly appreciated.i haven't bought the bike or kit yet so its still up in the air but this is the direction id love to go.first i realise i need a pf92 to bsa adaptor right?my concern is with the elevated chainstay and the chainring also boost spacing chainline.has anyone ever put on bbshd kit on a trek stache?would this work or should i scratch the stache and go with a marlin or x caliber.thanks in advance.

I have the same question, but for a Stache 7... Hope someone knows!

Rmpl

Comment

Has anyone had any further experience with a Stache since the last post, in May ?
      If not, I may end up being the pioneer on this one.
      I just bought a used Stache 5. (I didn't go with a carbon model because I've read that they have a protrusion inside the bottom bracket, which could be a problem with a BBSHD installation.)
      I'll be using a 100mm BBSHD, that I had on another bike.
      I've ordered a press fit adaptor from Luna, and a 42T Eclipse chainring.
      I originally planned to order the Mighty Mini chainring because of it's similarity in size to the original Stache chainring.
      Then I read Karl Gesslein's review of the Mighty Mini.
      He included a picture of the MM mounted on the BBSHD, which showed me that it wouldn't work for me on the Stache.
      The Stache's bottom bracket protrudes a bit beyond the rest of the frame, and the chainwheel mounts almost flush with the bottom bracket.
      Stacking the thickness of the BBSHD's secondary reduction gear housing on the protruding bottom bracket would result in a terrible chain line.
      With the 42T Eclipse, I'll certainly be unable to use some of the lower gears, due to interference with the elevated chainstay, but it should give me the offset I need for a decent chain line.
      I'm not too concerned about loosing one or two (hopefully not more) of the lowest gears because, with the type of riding I do, I never use them on my other BBSHD bike.
      I thought I'd go with an IGH, but I may have miscalculated on that score, since no one (with the possible exception of Rohloff, which is beyond my budget) seems to make an IGH in a boost size, that's compatible with the Stache's stranglehold dropouts.

Last edited by MIKEinNC; 10-07-2019, 08:35 AM.

Comment

It turns out that the 42 tooth Eclipse chain ring actually contacts the chainstay, where it attaches to the seat tube.
        Perhaps a 40 tooth Eclipse would give just enough clearance, but it looks doubtful to me.
        It's more likely that a BBS02, with it's smaller secondary reduction gear housing allowing a smaller chain ring, would work, but then you'd need to source one in a 100mm width.
        I'm going to call it a no-go.

Comment

Working...
        X