Derailed and chain stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Derailed and chain stuck

I have a Luna wolf roam but I think this issue would apply to most Luna bikes.

I was far from home when my chain derailed, but when it did the chain slipped behind the front sprocket getting wedged between the sprocket and motor housing.

I moved the chain onto the smallest rear gear to give more slack in the chain but could not get chain unstuck from the front.

The gap between sprocket and motor housing is almost exactly chain width but about 1 mm less, making for an extremely tight fit. However I realized I was stranded there, could not even pedal it home until I got that chain out.

I am a strong guy but it took me about half an hour of pulling on it as hard as I could and trying to pound on it with sticks and things until I finally broke the chain free. Now I feel like it would be a requirement to bring tools with me anyway I go in case this happens again.

A very small design change would make this impossible to happen. Simply increase the gap between the motor housing by 1 mm so the chain can't get stuck so hard. Alternatively, there could be some nubs welded on to the motor housing that would catch a derailed chain and prevent it from slipping deeper into the crack.

Comment

Hi pebble, check out this chain guide. I put them on all my bikes after getting a suck in derailment on a remote trail. No worries since. Very adjustable and you don't have to take off the guide to remove the chain, just remove the outer guide plate.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ZTLV9W...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Comment

You could shim the chainring out 1mm at the 5 bolt motor flange using washers.. Running a chain guide or front derailler as a chain guide can prevent this. Frequent lubrication of the chain also prevents it from sticking to the teeth when in a crosschained gear. When the chain sticks it gets lifted up instead of dropping into position. Also check for chain stretch using an actual gauge that measures, not just one that tells you it's worn out. An Allen wrench to loosen the chainring hub should be all you need. I always carry a set of folding Allen wrenches with me, and a flat repair kit.
        https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...4aAn6BEALw_wcB

Comment

I think you could shim the sprocket out a bit as long as it doesn't mess with your chain line to much. An allen wrench would of let you loosen the sprocket and easily remove the chain. I personally always bring a breakdown kit because you just never know. I like the Rock Bros F15 and the Wolf Tooth components chain pliers and always carry a patch kit for tubeless and tubed tires a couple spare valve cores and spare master links. After much contemplation I just removed my spare tube from my kit but that was a staple for a very long time as well. I've contemplated swapping out the F15 for the Pro Bike Tools Mini Ratchet kit but I don't want to give up the chain breaker. I store my break down kit and spare batteries for my lights in a VUP top tube bag that also holds my phone. I also carry presta valve adapters so i can fill my tires at service stations and I bring 2 luxury items a Luna epump and Topeak D2 digital tire gauge. The epump is a recent acquisition that works of the bikes battery. I've been bringing a Lezyne mini floor pump after trying to use that to inflate one of my fat tires I might as well be blowing it up myself for all the good it does. It's a good pump just not designed for that I bet it would take hours to get a rideable pressure using that little pump with those fat tires.

I'm new to e bikes as well. What do you guys carry in your e bike breakdown kits. Do you bring a multimeter? a Solder iron? etc?
          Last edited by pure_mahem; 04-30-2019, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Nice I am picking up one of those chain guides. Definitely need to think about a repair kit..

Comment

Working...
            X