Are E-Bikes worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are E-Bikes worth it?

Been thinking of purchasing an e-bike for about 6 months now. I currently bike 8 miles to work every day. My job is a postman so I then walk 10-15 miles a day then bike home 8 miles. In car my journey takes about 1 hour & isn't worth the stress in rush hour traffic. I enjoy biking and have always biked to work (my previous job was only 4 miles away, been a postie 6 months). I'm now 40 and biking that far, usually in a headwind, then all the walking is shattering me by the end of the week. Sooo, do e-bikes take out the effort, wind, hills etc. Or should I go for a twist 'n' go scooter. Looking at either the Carrera Crossfire or Vengeance as an entry using cycle to work scheme from Halfords. Unfortunately my local store doesn't do the 48hr trial. Any info appreciated, cheers.

I am a UPS driver, and I commute by ebike every day to work. I pretty much pedal just for show, and the commute is always 100% pure fun.

My commute is in heavy city traffic, so I just make sure to drive defensively. If I drive a car to work, it takes longer.

Comment

Definitely worth it. Low impact, and you put in as much or as little effort as you want. Headwinds are a fact of life here in coastal South Florida. I make the same speed in any conditions. The only hills here are overpasses but again no problems.BBSHD is extremely reliable. But if you use full power much you will become an expert at driveline repair and maintenance. For a commuter a Sturmey Archer 3 Speed IGH, and Wippermann 1 speed E bike chain is probably as good as it gets. A BBSHD can keep up with traffic from a stop light, and run 30mph if needed. It would be a nice warmup/cooldown for a walking job.
      I should add that I ahve zero experience with hub motors but that might be a good option for you. I converted a couple bikes I already owned.
      Last edited by Retrorockit; 05-01-2019, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Not to be a debbie downer here but realistically speaking, does it rain often where you live? Not sure if you're going to enjoy riding home in the rain/cold and getting completely soaked head to toe vs sitting in a car for an hour listening to the radio in a dry warm environment.

Having been through the first many times, I'd much rather do the latter 1000x over even if it took longer. E-bikes are more of a Sunny day type thing for me. I know plenty of people who ride them through all seasons but I've tried doing that multiple times and it just ended up being an incredibly miserable experience for me. Even with a rain coat, you just get drenched within seconds and the cold wind starts to hurt your face within minutes.
        Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 05-01-2019, 09:01 AM.

Comment

That's a legitimate concern. I'm retired and can ride around the weather. Also the rain is warm here. Around here the trafic pretty much comes to a stop when it rains due to accidents. I usually sitit out in a restaurant somewhere driving or riding. Even when I drove to work I would have dinner before driving home. Missing the rush hour traffic jam only cost me about 10 minutes overall. I just always have a Plan B.

Comment

You already said you bike to work everyday so weather probably not the issue it’s effort. If you buy a BBSHD conversion kit for your bike you will spend less than a moped and have way more fun. Goes about as fast as a moped or also has pedal assistance if you want to put in a bit of effort. With a 52v Wolfpack you could jam the throttle the whole time on a 16 mile round trip and go one way in about 15 minutes. That much fun and a little more time to sleep in should put some pep in your step. I got my kit from Lunacycle. Took about 45 minutes to install and I had never taken a bottom bracket apart before or done more than change a tire.
            This is my first ebike build and since this forum has been invaluable providing ideas and assistance, I decided to share my experience too. The bike is an old Northrock cruiser I found at a bike rental place. Its aluminum and has 1 1/8” integrated head tube. I wanted to do a cafe racer / board tracker style build.

Comment

I agree with the BBSHD suggestion. Reliability at full throttle continuos setting is hard to come by. The only thing that costs more than doing it right the first time is doing it right the 2nd time. The extra power is nice to have for getting out of tight spots.

Comment

Yeah, choosing a good ebike or scooter isnt so trivial. if you're not sure what type of ebike do you need or even if you need a scooter, i've made some guides about how to choose an electric bike (https://voltariders.com/best-electric-bikes-under-1000/) and how to choose the right electric scooter (https://voltariders.com/how-to-choos...ctric-scooter/). Check it out, hope it will be helpful.

Comment

Working...
                X