connecting differnt gauge wires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

connecting differnt gauge wires

I just bought the Lone wolf 52v battery to replace the 48v shark I had that went dead after 200 miles. The motor is the 750w BBSo2. The new 52v battery came with an XT90 connector to plug into the new lone wolf battery. My existing motor has two wires that connected to the hold battery. These are maybe 16g or smaller and the gauge coming from the pig tails of the XT90 are 10g. The battery has to plug into the motor right. So the to sets of wires have to be connected. How does this happen With the large difference in size. .
    XT90 connector motor wires

I usually strip enough of the smaller wire to wrap a nice tight 10-15mm section of the big wire, tighten the wrap with 2 pair of pliers, solder, apply some rubber cement or other goo, and 2x layers of heat shrink sleeves.

Remember to put the shrink tube on the wires first!

There are crimps made for this, but this way is pretty clean, very compact, and gives decent contact and mechanical strength while not needing special tools. And, you don't need to fumble with twisting and bending the fat wire.

I run 45A on my BBSHD with the same pigtail you show, joined to the Bafang motor wires in this way. I've melted an Anderson connector at hte controller power feed, but the solder joints are fine.

Validated!

Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

I concur JP. I had to solder in these xt90 pigtails, and a "y" combiner to link 2 battery packs together. I have had no issues with the solder joints, or gauge of wire. But I am a bit different it seems. I cut/ shortened all cable to only the length required, added length to some, but had to solder pretty much EVERY wire and connector on my bike. Just be sure to take your time and do as good a solder joint as possible, and use heatshrink NOT electrical tape. I would recommend visiting a Harbor Freight. The sell a roll of heatshrink tubing, I think it was like 6 or 10 feet long, in the perfect diameter for power cables, and a different diameter roll for the smaller Comm cables. They are only a couple bucks. I prefer the roll versus the 2" strips, as I can heatshrink the ENTIRE cable if the area it is going into has any hazzards or sharp edges. I put 3 layers of heatshrink where my power cables enter or exit any metal, plus a grommet on the metal. The comm cables, I only heatshrinked one layer over at concerned areas. Never too much protection when you are dealing with 100amps+

Comment

Working...
      X