Speed / Power issues with BBSHD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed / Power issues with BBSHD

I recently completed my build: BBSHD hot rod / 52v 13.5a Wolf battery on a Cannondale F1000 with slick tires and a 48t front chainring.

The power is great on mellow - steep hills, but on flats the contribution from the motor seems really minimal past about 15mph, whether PAS or throttle, and requires a lot more work than expected to achieve speeds over 15 mph. I have been using the PAS 5 (max stock setting with Bafang DPC-07) and I can't see the wattage as this display doesn't seem to have a wattage option.

Any suggestions before I buy a new display to further troubleshoot or try to find a PC to dive into the programming? Thanks!

Great, a display that doesn't indicate power or current - useless!

Does the round part of the motor near the cooling fins get warm/hot to the touch?
    2nd build, 2018 Crust Scapegoat, BBS02 or BBSHD, Rohloff IGH
    3rd build, 2018 Crust Evasion step-thru, BBS02, Shimano Nexus INTER-3 IGH
    4th build, 2016 Salsa Marrakesh flatbar frameset, BBSHD, Alfine 8 IGH
    Other, Electronic throttle lock

Visit the forum knowledge base

Comment

Exactly! I noticed this issue on my first few rides around the neighborhood / town so I would be shocked if there was a motor issue or it was overheating as the lack of "flats power" happens both upon immediate usage and also before I get great power on the hills. That said, I haven't checked or noticed any heat issues yet.

It almost feels to me like there's a programming or PAS limit that's kicking in, but seems like it shouldn't be the case based on friends' bikes with similar setups who get a ton of speed on PAS 2/3.

Comment

It would be good to know whether or not the motor was getting roasty-toasty hot - as in, too hot to hold for more that a few seconds.

I'd upgrade the display before messing with the programming - I prefer displays that have power scales (such as the DPC-14 and 860C) and that only require a quick glance.

Comment

I have a cargo bike that gets into the mid 20’s; my sons bbs02 goes about 30 with 42t and 52v battery. Out of the box it should be mid 20s without any tweaking. Perhaps you have some bad cells on your battery. You have a multimeter to check voltage?

Comment

Helpful thoughts, thank you both! I'll test with a multimeter this evening and also check on the heat.

Comment

I'm guessing that the voltage needs to be seen under load ... Which a decent display would also show.

Comment

I tested the battery this evening and it doesn't seem like the issue. I also played a bit more with using only the throttle to isolate any impact of pedaling. The power noticeably cuts out at around 15mph on flat ground and will not contribute more than sustaining that level (I can hear it occasionally cut out, as if its hitting a speed out output limit). A new display is next on my test list.

Question: is it possible the display is causing an issue, or is the programming linked only to the motor?

Comment

The programming is linked to the controller... some displays can alter the programming on the in their advanced menus. I have 5 displays I swap out across 3 bikes. All perform to what the controller is programmed to. I recently purchased 2 EggRider displays that allow you to program via an iPhone app. Much easier to tone down the bikes from the phone when the wife and kids want to ride. Out of curiosity where did you get you bafang from, if the battery is good, I suspect the controller may be bad. I bought 2 new systems and one craigslist special. All work great out of the box.

Comment

I like the idea of the app-controlled EggRider.

My entire kit was purchased new from Luna, so I'll contact them.

Comment

I’ll be interested to know what the issue is so please update me. California ebike is a good place to get an eggrider; little smaller shop compared to Luna, but both come highly recommended from my dealings.

Comment

If it feels like your getting good/great power at low speeds, but the feeling peters out just past a particular speed (like that 15MPH you mentioned), then, at least for the displays I have, the display can provide a speed KMH value. The controller's programming can be configured to use or ignore this KMH value.

I too like the eggrider concept and features, and even bought one, but I hope you have better eyes than mine. Its display is very small and just numbers. Maybe all's better if you tie the eggrider to a smartphone.

Watts and voltage tells 99% of the story.

Comment

Agree, the display is small but I love its simplicity. Road/offroad feature is really nice. Also, you get a feel for speed and amps pretty quickly so I don’t need to keep looking. The other thing it’s easy to turn on and off, I know it sounds silly but that 500c is annoying to turn on and off.

Comment

Originally posted by joost View Post
                            Agree, the display is small but I love its simplicity. Road/offroad feature is really nice. Also, you get a feel for speed and amps pretty quickly so I don’t need to keep looking. The other thing it’s easy to turn on and off, I know it sounds silly but that 500c is annoying to turn on and off.
                            EggRider has a great Facebook page. The programmer developer answers issues directly. Fussy little displays, but well beyond anything anyone else offers. But you must be willing to upgrade and deal with a somewhat steeper learning curve.

Comment

Thank you all for your help. I got an Eggrider 2 display and with a few minute setup I have no further issues, and a bike that's capable of going way faster than I need :)

Comment

Working...
                              X