Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bafang BBSHD wont fit on Salsa Bucksaw. Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bafang BBSHD wont fit on Salsa Bucksaw. Help!

So I just got a medium frame Salsa Bucksaw to convert to an ebike. I got the luna wolf and it doesn't fit in the frame.... Dang. However, the bigger issue is that I can't get my 120mm Bafang BBSHD to fit in the bottom bracket. I purchased the press fit adapters to make it fit, but I have this thing with three screw holes in the way. It makes it so the motor wont fit in the right way. Any suggestions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 10.54.36 PM.png
Views:	147
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	94483

Buy an angle grinder and cut those things off

Comment

As mentioned, just grind them off. I had the same issue on a Diamondback Catch2 build a few years back

Comment

Okay, I cut it off the thing but I've run into another snag. The fixed holder that attaches to the motor doesn't reach... There's about an inch difference. I've seen other people make this work with the 120mm bafang engine and a Salsa Bucksaw so I'm not sure why mine doesn't seem to work. The only idea I can think of is to cut a piece of the bottom bracket (pics below) but that would only give me another 3/8 of an inch. Any other ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-8664.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	509.8 KB
ID:	94553Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-8666.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	543.2 KB
ID:	94554

Comment

First off that appears to be a pressfit bottom bracket. Did you measure the diameter and length before ordering, it looks way bigger than the diameter of the axle. You would need an adapter if it's pressfit

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...mid-drive-kits

For the issue you mentioned it appears that you do not have it fully inserted into the bottom bracket shell. The motor picture at the bottom shows something like half an inch it needs to go in further. Probably some obstruction.

Comment

Yeah I have the adapters, I just took them off to show the photos. The second photo shows the motor pulled out a bit because I wanted to show the piece I'm considering cutting off. The first photo shows the motor pushed in all the way.

Comment

That is one way you could take it from the looks of things. Another approach might be to use one of the stabilizer bars.

https://lunacycle.com/bsb-1-stabiliz...s02-and-bbshd/

https://lunacycle.com/bsbf-1-stabili...s02-and-bbshd/

In any case you are probably going to need to use some washers so this ends up flush. Maybe even longer bolts depending on how you go about it.

There is often a gap between the mount bracket and the motor. Here is an example from a 68mm

In this picture the black triangle mounting bracket is NOT flush with the motor, there is a 1mm gap. You should add washers until there is no gap. If you do not do this you will have problems keeping the motor in place. The black triangle mounting bracket MUST be flush with the motor. If you buy from Luna they include some spacers you can use. If not you should use washers. There should absolutely not be a gap here, if you tighten it without making it flush the bracket will not bind properly with the bottom bracket shell and the motor will move around when under load.
              Now if you go with those stabilizer bars you are not going to use that black triangle mount bracket at all, so the end result is you don't have to worry about this quite as much.

Comment

Unthreaded spacers, per https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...bucksaw-yeehaw:

Click image for larger versionName:	image_5990.jpgViews:	0Size:	229.9 KBID:	94567

2nd build, 2018 Crust Scapegoat, BBS02 or BBSHD, Rohloff IGH
                3rd build, 2018 Crust Evasion step-thru, BBS02, Shimano Nexus INTER-3 IGH
                4th build, 2016 Salsa Marrakesh flatbar frameset, BBSHD, Alfine 8 IGH
                Other, Electronic throttle lock

Visit the forum knowledge base

Comment

Thanks for your help, guys! This is insanely helpful! Any idea where I could get those large spacers?

Comment

I use the fast, online, U.S. based vendor Mcmaster Carr usually.

If not in a rush and/or for titanium, I use Asian eBay vendors.
                    Last edited by ncrkd; 10-04-2019, 04:09 AM.
                    2nd build, 2018 Crust Scapegoat, BBS02 or BBSHD, Rohloff IGH
                    3rd build, 2018 Crust Evasion step-thru, BBS02, Shimano Nexus INTER-3 IGH
                    4th build, 2016 Salsa Marrakesh flatbar frameset, BBSHD, Alfine 8 IGH
                    Other, Electronic throttle lock

Visit the forum knowledge base

Comment

I got the motor installed! Thanks for your help! Now the battery.... The Luna Wolf doesn't fit in my triangle... I think I'm going to attach the Luna Wolf to a cargo rack above my back tire for now, but in the long term I want to find a battery that will fit in the triangle. Any recommendations?

Comment

Progress!

You might try mounting the wolf on the underside of the downtube if you got the clearance. There are slots on the rails you can run cable ties to without using the magnetic mount

Comment

Are there any downsides to mounting the battery on the top tube?

Comment

A higher center of gravity means it will handle differently. Due to inertial force you have more of a load transfer when braking.

As much as possible we want balance between the two wheels and a low center of gravity.

The picture above is an example of a load transfer. A bike’s brake has been applied hard enough that the rear completely lifts up off the ground. Your bike and the load on it wants to keep moving forward which shifts the load toward the front when braking. Not ideal.

That said, plenty of folks do it. We even make a folding bike with the battery mounted like that. It's not the worst thing in the world by any means and for the most part you should be fine if you have to put it in that position. Careful you don't crush your nuts getting off the bike though.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	mosso_5__03202.1562120345.jpg?c=2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	653.5 KB ID:	95324

Comment

Working...
                            X