Gear sensor mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear sensor mounting

This is a friends gear sensor on a conversion, it is just installed on a bare length of cable. I don`t see how this will work?

Sure it will work but it's not great for long term. I don't know about your friend but when I got my last couple derailer cable kits it came with "ferrules" that mount onto the end and help keep dirt out of the mechanism as well as keep the cable centered.

Comment

He had the conversion done by a local guy. The unit just floats and moves with the cable it is not attached to the frame in any way. I thought there was a wheel inside that had to turn don`t see how it can with the unit moving with the cable.

Comment

Well there's a difference between the cable and the cable housing but yeah it could be better. That said, it's a pain in the ass to remove the cable from the housing and add some ferrules onto the housing ends. I wouldn't mess with it unless you had to.

Comment

Originally posted by lrrace View Post
          He had the conversion done by a local guy. The unit just floats and moves with the cable it is not attached to the frame in any way. I thought there was a wheel inside that had to turn don`t see how it can with the unit moving with the cable.
          I think you're absolutely correct, and that that local guy has no clue about how the shift sensor works based on that botched installation. Without the outer cable housing nothing is anchoring the sensor. Barring fixing it the correct way, maybe the sensor could be pushed up to that frame cable stop then wire tied to the frame. One "right way" might be to chop out 50mm of the cable housing, then move the sensor up behind that frame cable stop.
          2nd build, 2018 Crust Scapegoat, BBS02 or BBSHD, Rohloff IGH
          3rd build, 2018 Crust Evasion step-thru, BBS02, Nexus INTER-3 IGH
          4th build, 2016 Salsa Marrakesh flatbar frameset, BBSHD, Alfine 8 IGH
          5th build, 2019 Crust Evasion, BBSHD, Alfine 8 IGH
          Other, Electronic throttle lock

Comment

• Yubarider530
            Yubarider530 commented
            Editing a comment
            Absolutely correct. I tried using the sensor on a bare cable that I had both zip tied and hot glued to the frame. It came loose and quit working. The gear sensor works great between two sections of cable housing anchored to the frame by frame tabs.

Thank you for the correct response to the question, that`s just what I thought a botched job. I thought I would mount it to the frame member so it won`t move. Thanks again for the conformation.

Comment

Working...
          X