My new Luna X-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new Luna X-1

I recently purchased a new X-1, and having a few miles on it, thought I would post my thoughts on it. I am 68, been biking all my life, live in an area with mountain biking trails all over. My non motorized bike is a Salsa Spearfish, pretty nice bike. I have been experiencing a bit less lung capacity, I guess is the right way to say that. I look to the electric bike to keep me in the game, keep it fun. At the expense of seeming like an easy mark, I have nothing but good to say about this new bike. What fun! First, I just cannot get over the overall quality, fit and finish, and thoughtful design of this bike. The suspension, brakes, handling, and electrical control and function are all top shelf. A few rides into some rough, steep, rocky, loose deep sand and silt, and fast down hill areas were easy. The only negative was striking my crank a time or two, but I had not yet set my suspension air for my weight. I also need to learn to use the throttle for some of those sections. I have kept it in power assist level 2 for the majority of the ride, using 3 when I see bottomless sand/silt coming up. I have changed things a little concerning the bar mount/height/width. The bars were too wide. I also needed them raised up a bit. I am considering a bigger front sprocket, as top end is a little slow. Also looking into getting the shifter to access the 12th gear. Good info on this site concerning both of those mods. Bottom line is, I am more than happy with this bike. I have ordered one for my wife, it should get here this week.

Curious if you changed the chain ring yet.

Comment

No, not for lack of interest, lack of time.

Comment

• BillyKidd
        BillyKidd commented
        Editing a comment
        I changed my ring and chain yesterday. Working very slowly as to not jack up the chain with stupid mistakes. Took me about 90 minutes. If I had to do another one, it could be done in half hour or less. I'm new to this and trying not to ruin parts and wasting money.

• stsmith5150
        stsmith5150 commented
        Editing a comment
        How did you get the chainring off? Is it the sram chainring? I am waiting on my snail and heard someone had to cut it off.

Do you know if the Bafang display has Bluetooth and can connect to the Bafang app?

Comment

Hey stsmith5150. A little patience was required and watched a video from this thread (Luna X-1 Enduro FS ebike-#333 or https://youtu.be/6O1PlwpbqgY). Removing it the first time was the most difficult but once you get it off you could do it over and over. Shouldn't have to cut it off. I did put some cloth between the chain ring and the frame so as not to scratch the frame.

Comment

• stsmith5150
          stsmith5150 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah they changed the chainring to SRAM and you cant remove it like that anymore. Have to remove crank and so on to get it off. I even contacted Luna and they said I had to buy the $65 socket

• BillyKidd
          BillyKidd commented
          Editing a comment
          That's wild because I just got mine 2 weeks ago.

I got the SRAM ring off without the socket. It takes a little patience to find the right angle and then a little leverage from a flatblade to flex and it came off pretty easy. I do have the socket, but its actually easier to just do the ring without pulling the crank.

Comment

Working...
        X