X1 Enduro chainring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X1 Enduro chainring

Picked up my new X1 Enduro with ludicrous and silent treatment, and absolutely love the beast! I have another eBike with 750w motor, 48v with 40A controller which gets down and moves, and the X1 is every bit as fast! The only downside is the gearing is geared far too low for the ludicrous power. The first couple cassette gears (largest ones) are geared so low they're not even really needed. Anyway, I would like to change out the front chain-ring to try and get some additional speed out of the top-end gearing. It came stock with a SRAM Eagle X-Sync 32T gear. I see SRAM makes that same 104bdc sprocket in 38T which looks like a good option. Looking at the install, am I going to have to pull the crank and bottom bracket to get this gear off? It doesn't appear to have enough clearance to slip over the mount????

Also, will I need to add additional chainlinks to account for the larger chainring or will the rear derailer suck up the difference?

Comment

• tedr108
      tedr108 commented
      Editing a comment
      xcntrk -- see like the 3rd post (and perhaps later posts) in this linked chat below for information on going to a 40T front chain ring. I cannot speak for the quality of the parts that this X1 owner used, but it might help you with your questions.

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-other-x1-mods

You do not have to remove the crank. Take your time and work the ring over and back and then there is a spot where a little flex from flatblade screwdriver will bring it right off.
    I went with a 38T and did not need a new chain. Also, I went with a super cheap narrow wide and have had zero issues with it. I did order new bolts for the ring too though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085G7QHXS...QFL?th=1&psc=1

Comment

Some of the latest reports have indicated that the switch from generic steel chain ring to the SRAM ring means the spider does have to come off - or the old SRAM ring has to be cut.

I can't say for sure on the SRAM but the old steel ring 'justbarely' came off and required a lot of wiggling and dancing to get it just right.

Comment

• phatty
        phatty commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the SRAM and it came off without removing the crank. It def takes some wiggling and positioning, and a little flex and it came off.

Mine came with the SRAM chainring... It seriously took me around 25 minutes of wiggling and tugging to find the magic combo to get it off. I nearly gave up, but then suddenly things lined up and I got it off. I went with the Wolf Tooth 104BCD Drop-Stop Chainring with 38 teeth. It has the countersunk groove like the SRAM, so you can use single-ring chainring bolts. For the chain, I did get the longer Eagle chain and removed a few links. For the steep climbs and terrain in my area, 38 teeth is just about right, I could get by with 40, but it would be a little tall.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabix View Post
        Mine came with the SRAM chainring... It seriously took me around 25 minutes of wiggling and tugging to find the magic combo to get it off. I nearly gave up, but then suddenly things lined up and I got it off. I went with the Wolf Tooth 104BCD Drop-Stop Chainring with 38 teeth. It has the countersunk groove like the SRAM, so you can use single-ring chainring bolts. For the chain, I did get the longer Eagle chain and removed a few links. For the steep climbs and terrain in my area, 38 teeth is just about right, I could get by with 40, but it would be a little tall.
        Thanks! I ultimately did the same and got this swapped out. The stock SRAM 32t will come off, but as you described it takes some time to align just right. I replaced with an identical SRAM 38t as well. It has the recess too so the stock bolts work. I installed a new 12sp Eagle chain and draped a few links to match the derailure position (didn't count the links, just lined up the derailer in the exact same location. Overall works great!

Comment

• CRFan250
          CRFan250 commented
          Editing a comment
          Can someone post a link to the SRAM 36 tooth chain ring that work on the X1? There are so many when I search and have no idea which one works!
      Working...
      X