New X1 non-ludi occassional grinding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New X1 non-ludi occassional grinding

Hey all, I was out putting down a lot of single track miles down on the new ride. On a couple of occasions I got a bit of grinding from the front cog. Not enough to damage anything, but I was curious if I anyone else had experienced this and if it's a matter of how I was riding or some adjustment. Maybe I was adding too much torque starting on a hill?

If I can adjust to not cause issues, that would be great. Otherwise, it's an awesome bike and my first test run ran about an hour longer than anticipated because I was having so much fun.

Not sure what you mean "...grinding from the front cog" and don't know that I recall hearing anyone mention that before - can you explain more?

If you mean front chain ring, can you detail the grinding? There is no derailleur or anything else there to adjust. It's been my experience that anything affecting the chain line seems to throw the chain right off. Possibly grinding coming from inside the motor? Maybe the chain is making noise and needs lube? Squeaking or creaking of the frame due to loose bolts or movement of the motor?

Comment

Did you put the bike up on a bike rack and run back and forth through all the gears to determine if its the front chain ring or the rear cassette? I just got my X1 a few weeks ago and I have one gear (#9) that grinds a bit. If i adjust the barrel roll one click clockwise it stops but then all the gears below it make noise. If I adjust it one click counter clockwise gears 10 and 11 make noise. It's driving me nuts....

Comment

• K442
        K442 commented
        Editing a comment
        It's been my experience that the rear cassette is a very 'tedious' adjustment. High limit, low limit, "B" screw and cable length all need to be set 'just right' for smooth shifting. ...and with the added 'e' power and bit of 'assist lag' you definitely want smooth / clean shifts. There are some videos detailing the adjustments. (EL34)

• mattgrey
        mattgrey commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the feedback, I do believe that is where I need to focus. It's a bit fiddly but just a minor adjustment should get me there.

Just a quick update. Took the bike down to the local bike shop and they did tweak the derailleur. I'm going to lay down another 50 miles and see how it goes. Already seems better. One quick note, the mechanic mentioned a SRAM recall and that the one on the bike might be caught up in it. I will put in some more miles before further thoughts.

Comment

Working...
      X