No announcement yet.

Luna Apocalypse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone got videos that are NOT shot using a drone? Its really hard to tell the actual speed when watching drone footage, also gopro or POV footage is pretty hard to tell also

Comment

• Touch415
      Touch415 commented
      Editing a comment
      Go under touch415 on YouTube ..I have many video of the scooter.. if you have any questions about it feel free to hit me up...

• matt
      matt commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't have a camera, but fwiw, I weigh 85kg - ymmv:

On the flat I can get ~65km range @ 25k/hr (lowest speed setting), or 15km range @ 60km/hr (highest speed setting).

I mostly operate it in level 3 single wheel, which achieves a 30km range @ 40km/hr and is more than enough for my daily commutes. The range indicator is terrible, but it's reliable once you start judging distance remaining off the current voltage. Hills are not going to be a problem no matter how much you weigh - it's rediculously overpowered.

touch415 shot some great POV video on his youtube page... my favorite is his first ride on the apocalypse through sf ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtlxMsQIJXw&t=8s

Comment

Ordered last week and got my V3 Ludicrous scooter yesterday. What was done in V3 to fix the BMS cutoff issue? What should true mph top speed be for 175 pound on flat pavement, 100% power with 100% full charge, dual motor in turbo on level 3, all top speed settings, etc?
      Thanks for your answers!

Comment

• Touch415
        Touch415 commented
        Editing a comment
        last i heard the v3 was supposed to be little faster,,,what was your top speed on your v3 speedo read even though i don't think its accurate...

Speedometer is not accurate on arrival. When speedometer calibration is set at 13 as recommended, it read top speed of 39mph, which was way off. I calibrated it with gps and true speed was 27 mph at 100% full charge on flat pavement. Set calibration at 18 and the speedometer was more accurate, within 1 mph of gps. I don't think V3 is faster, maybe even slower from what I've read and experienced. My friend got the V3 the same day, his seems a couple mph faster on flat, and he is 45lbs heavier. Mine also cut out when I was riding and wouldn't turn back on until I pushed it home and connected to the charger. Seems like the same BMS issue as the previous version. I'm wondering what was supposed to have been done on V3 to fix the BMS issue and what top speed "should" be? Maybe I just got a dud...... Going to play some more and see if any improvement. Can anyone tell me what recommended settings are for v3, if different than the ones listed for V1 and V2 here?

Comment

• MMA Wiz
        MMA Wiz commented
        Editing a comment
        Voltage was around 50

• scootdawg
        scootdawg commented
        Editing a comment
        Does your friend's cutoff too?

• MMA Wiz
        MMA Wiz commented
        Editing a comment
        He hasn't ridden it much but it didn't cutout when he did.

Took it out for a ride, fully charged. Rode 5 miles in 15 minutes, then it shutdown and wouldn't restart. Voltage was around 54.5 when it shut down. I plugged in and it took 30 minutes before it would restart. Rode it home 5 minutes with Voltage above 56, it shutoff just as I got home. Voltage was still at 56. Tried calling Luna while I was stranded but no luck getting through. Want to love this thing but right now its a major bummer. What is the best way to get a hold of Luna?

Comment

• scootdawg
        scootdawg commented
        Editing a comment
        I think he means ridding it easy on a low power mode and then slow charging it back up full.

• matt
        matt commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep - there should have been a little book with your charger describing how to bed in a lithium battery. Basically, don't push its limits and charge it back to full each time.

• MMA Wiz
        MMA Wiz commented
        Editing a comment
        I see. Nope, there was no documentation at all with the scooter or charger.

I have one on order!! Hopefully I get a fast one with no cutoff issues (told it has been fixed). I can't wait.
      Last edited by scootdawg; 05-08-2017, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• Roose Hurro
        Roose Hurro commented
        Editing a comment
        Hopefully I get a fast one with no issues, as well. Picking my Apocalypse up in person on May 17th, my 55th birthday.

Hey guys, which version do you have... Super or Apocalypse (Ludicrous) Version 1, 2 or 3, and what is your "real" top speed in mph on flat pavement?
      Mine - Apocalypse Ludicrous V3 , Fully Charged, Flat pavement, 175 pound rider, top speed 28mph.

Comment

• MMA Wiz
        MMA Wiz commented
        Editing a comment
        Roose you mentioned a BMS upgrade. Do you know what that is? I haven't been able to get an answer on what was done for the BMS issue.

• Roose Hurro
        Roose Hurro commented
        Editing a comment
        No, I don't know the details. Just that the early cutout issue was fixed, and I believe the phase wires were updated... the "full" Version three had other upgrades, but I was told only the owner knew what those were. I believe the owner would be Eric. Also remember hearing there would be a custom BMS, which I imagine is what fixed the cutout issue. Eric would have to chime in with the details of everything

I also remember hearing something about a suspension upgrade on the Version 3... but that's as far as my knowledge goes.

• scootdawg
        scootdawg commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm pretty sure I can just get over 30 mph on my v 2.8 if I lean forward to cut through the wind. I'm 205 lbs

Day 3 ride...... Took it out to do a low power ride and attempt to get through a charge cycle with no cutout. Got a flat rear tire about 10 minutes into the ride. Was riding easy on smooth pavement so I though it was strange to get a flat. pushed a few miles and got a ride home. Put it up to take off the rear tire and fix the tube and noticed that the rear wheel doesn't completely freewheel and the disk rubs a little. I took off the tire and patched the tube (getting the tire off and on the rim is a *%#*), then put it back on. Disk is still slightly rubbing, any tips on how to align it so it freewheels without rubbing. I wonder if that is what was affecting and causing slightly lower speed than my friend's? So far this thing has been a nightmare and a disappointment and seems like it may have been a previous return or just a dud from the start. Sent in a trouble ticket on the other issues and have had a response but no resolution or solution yet.

Comment

• ykick
        ykick commented
        Editing a comment
        As with most disk brakes you should loosen the caliper mounting bolts, apply the brake and then tighten the mounting bolts while the pads are squeezing the disk. This will allow the caliper to align to the disk rotor.

• scootdawg
        scootdawg commented
        Editing a comment
        That sucks. Do you know what PSI your tires were at when the flat occurred? Are the inside of the tires smooth? Getting mine tomorrow!
        Last edited by scootdawg; 05-10-2017, 08:53 AM.

• MMA Wiz
        MMA Wiz commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the tip ykick,
        Scootdawg - it was 45psi 2 days prior when I received it. Not sure what it was when I got the flat, but didn't feel any softer than the previous 2 rides. Inside of the tires are not as smooth as a bicycle tire, but similar.

Day 4 ride - Rode on level 2 mostly today, no cutout and rode from voltage 58.8 down to 43 before it turned off. If odometer is accurate I got about 30 miles on a full charge riding easy on setting 2. I think the issue with it shutting off and not restarting on previous days was an overheating issue rather than a voltage cutout issue. Took the deck off and confirmed that it has the upgraded phase wires. Ykick's recommendation on aligning the brake calipers worked perfectly. I have P1 set to 435 and it was very accurate as a battery meter. The battery meter hit empty a few minutes before it started shutting off with P1 at 435.

Any inner tube recommendations? I want to have a couple spares handy and hoping to find ones that won't blow out so easy.

The gold paint on the rims comes off pretty easy and scuffs when having to use tire irons to change a blown tube. Anyone know the best way to do a matching touch up? Any recommendation on changing the tire without scuffing the rim?

Comment

• ykick
        ykick commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to hear things are coming around, maybe? Unfortunately, there's not a lot of choices for tires/tubes in those sizes from what I can find. I'd recommend a few ounces of Slime sealant inside the tubes. While it doesn't prevent flats, it often slows leak down and gives you some warning (green shit spurting out) that your tire is losing air.

• scootdawg
        scootdawg commented
        Editing a comment
        I know they make rim savers for changing motorcycle tires. I've never looked into them or used any though.

Got mine today! First impressions is that it looks and feels like quality. I have it on the charger right now for the recommended 9 hour charge, so I will be riding at midnight haha. The rear fender got bent in shipping and was rubbing the back tire. I just bent it back with my hands. The tires were way low <20psi so I aired them up to 45psi. I adjusted the rear disk break even though it was barely rubbing. I noticed the power seems to be set at 90 and not 100. Break in is said to be done by charging to 100% for the first 6 cycles, not drawing max amps from the battery, and not running it down to low voltage cutoff.

Ride report: I rode a few minutes tonight trying things out. The scooter makes a terrible grinding/rattling noise in two wheel drive mode at slow speeds (wake the neighbors, something is going to break loud) but is silent in single.

Second charge: This thing is impossible to break in properly! All I want to do is ride in the higher levels and dual mode. I like hitting the dual mode button once single has topped out (so I don't have to hear the noise). It's like turning on the nos.

Third charge: Scooter is super fun. I thought the noise was going away but it's still there if you get on it hard. I made a video of the noise (it was too dark for the camera)
      https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzbfaCrVS5DcY3d2eGo0RG00cU0

Fourth charge: daylight video of grinding noise https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...3ZwM2JuSFRUUWM

Update: Luna Cycles replaced both motors and now it's quiet!
      Last edited by scootdawg; 08-23-2017, 03:21 PM. Reason: update

Comment

• ykick
        ykick commented
        Editing a comment
        There are no gears in either front or rear wheel/hub. If one of those is "grinding/rattling" enough to "wake the neighbors" you've probably got a duff controller and/or Hall Sensor/Phase Power error.

• scootdawg
        scootdawg commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, yeah it looks easy enough just worried about delicate wires and what not.

• scootdawg
        scootdawg commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks ykick. I don't know anything about electric motors but I'm willing to learn. It's almost like something is slipping in there because it only does it taking off from slow speeds with my weight on it. It was definitely loud almost like a bell or metal resonating. I think I have about 30 miles on it now, and it may be getting quieter or I've just learned to ride it different. I also tightened every nut and bolt I could find. I'll make a video of it some day. It was probably from UPS handling it too rough. The back fender was bent bad, and the box had some wear and a gouge about where the hub would be.

Got home a while ago from my trip to pick up my Apocalyse. On the road shortly after 5am on the 17th, it is now 1:53am on the 18th. Very, very long day. But my "Lude" is now percolating on the charger (had only 53.4 volts... and 6.1 miles... on her) and will stay the night there till I'm ready (after a good night's sleep) to use her for a pay station run to pay my utilities. After popping up to REI for a lock... would really like to know what others have picked out. Looking at a very nice, sturdy (Kevlar re-enforced) cable lock, but I've heard recommendations for U-locks. Really like being able to "fold up" the cable lock and stuff it in a pack, preferably along with the charger. Though presently I have to wait on the pack, due to my recent purchase and other factors. So I'll have to improvise till then. And re-watch some of the tech vids, re-read this thread, to figure out how best to approach my new machine. Met Eric, rode with him on a test ride...absolutely fantastic, though I wish I could have stayed longer. Even more impressed how much machine I got for my money. Best performance bargain out there!

Edit/Update:

First charge gave me 59.3 volts. My total errand run chalked up exactly 24 miles, according to the odo (accidentally zeroed my trip-meter, so I had to sub 6.1 miles at start from 30.1 miles at end). Remaining "fuel" at the end of 24 miles was 54.5 volts, for a total usage of 4.8 volts, with power set at P1, with a very brief use of P2, and a mix of single/double-motor. Also a mix of flat, with slight rises and dips of pavement and a short hill (where I switched to P2). Developed a bit of brake-disk squeak, noted a bit of rattle in the bars (nature of the folding mechanism), then noted I had no tail-lights (last leg of my errand run, I was running the lights). And noted further, while the right lever activated the brake lights okay, the left brake lever had to be squeezed to within an inch of its life, and even then didn't always light. Need to know what's up with that!

Edit/Update Two:

Fixed the brake light issue. Left lever does its job now! Still not sure if I'm supposed to have tail-lights... someone earlier in this thread added a tail-light. But I also thought I'd seen a vid showing an Apocalypse with stock taillights. Oh, also lost the voltage meter display on my Advanced 300w Charger. So I'll be calling in for that. Still appears to charge, when I turn on the display and toggle to the voltage meter there, but the meter on the charger remains dark. Also, can't fix the brake squeak. I have the correct size hex wrench, but the bolts on the calipers refuse to budge.
      Last edited by Roose Hurro; 05-18-2017, 11:09 PM.

Comment

• scootdawg
        scootdawg commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here. Brake lights, no tail lights. I zip tied a red glo toob to the rear shock mount. These aren't technically street legal so... I have been pulled over on my bike once for no tail light. I also have some brake squeal. I'm going to try some brake cleaner on the disks, and if that doesn't work, I have some stuff that you spray on the back of the brake pads that is supposed to quiet them. Thanks for the report!

• ykick
        ykick commented
        Editing a comment
        Dead LED meter with the charger 'suggest bring your order number and open a trouble ticket - https://lunacycle.com/trouble-ticket/

Caliper bolts so tight they can't be loosened? Does it feel as if it's gonna break or strip the hex socket bolt?

• Roose Hurro
        Roose Hurro commented
        Editing a comment
        scootdawg ...

You're welcome. Made a run down to Naked Coffee, midtown ( https://www.google.com/maps/place/Na...4d-121.4897918 ), on the bike-path route, a run of 8.8 miles, according to my trip meter. Even thought the map said 5.7 miles. Round trip ended up 18.5, stopped off at Arden Fair Mall on the way back, and walked my scoot all over the mall. Caught some attention! And used up only 2.9 volts.

ykick ...

Yep, sent out a trouble ticket before I went on my trip today. Doesn't feel like it's gonna break or strip, just... acts "welded". Hex wrench solid, bolt also solid, neither moves. It is rather short, just from a very cheap set, so it may just be a matter of leverage. Oh, let me know how your efforts go... I'd think brake cleaner would be a bit harsh on the electrics... might not want to use the stuff. Or use it sparingly on a brush you don't care about.

Anyone have the front shocks go wonky? Mine seem to be misaligned just noticed on my second time out.

Comment

• Touch415
        Touch415 commented
        Editing a comment
        its always good to double check all bolts, because they do come loose... i had my front shock come loose on me, good thing i was near my house...

I hit a curb I guess enough to bend the forks. Guess I found the weakest link on the frame. I am gonna need to order the shock (bolts?) because they are both bent although working I'd rather be safe then sorry. Any word on replacement parts or beefier front forks?

Comment

You’re better off sourcing bolts/hardware locally or online. Grade 8 should suffice and probably an upgrade.

Many of these products are so new and produced in very limited numbers, I doubt parts like this will be readily available. It’s not anything like an automotive assembly line churning this stuff out….

Comment

Can somebody post a picture of their front washers holding on their wheel? My front wheel looks way offset.

Update: I put my wheel back together wrong after changing the tire. It made the wheel off center from the stem. Luna Cycles Fixed it while they were changing my motor.
          Last edited by scootdawg; 08-23-2017, 03:24 PM. Reason: update

Comment

Working...
        X