No announcement yet.

Luna Apocalypse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remove the brakes and used brake cleaner to clean up the pads and used little sand paper on the pads to even out the wear, the squeak sound went Away ..

Comment

I purchased one of these remote on/off switches hoping to solve the battery cutoff issue without using a charger - https://lunacycle.com/remote-on-off-solid-state-switch/

When I took the deck off, I noticed that there are two XT-60 connectors and one of them has another connector coming off of it. (see picture below)

1) Which XT-60 do I install the on/off switch onto?

2) What can the loose plug coming off of one of the XT-60 connectors be used for?

Comment

Each of those xt60s is going to the individual controller... its best if you could either wire that thing to cut off both.... try with one xt60 and see if that happens to reset bms but i doubt it. You may need to find some place closer to battery..... right where the main black and red wires go inot the battery..that is where you want to tap.....

As for the extra wires that is just some extra wire from the controller typical of these chinese controllers and i wouldnt worry about it.

Comment

Need to head for bed soon, but thought I'd drop this here: Had my first flat today on the way home from another visit to the Naked Coffee Lounge! Don't have the tools yet to fix the flat... can't even use my bike pump to air up, valve is just a wee bit too deep to work with my pump's hook-up. Fits fine, seals up, release "pin" in the pump's "head" just can't reach. Will be looking into an extension, and will have to have the flat fixed next week, when I have more time (new work-week starts today, Saturday). Some good news, on my "Flat outing", before I went to "Naked", I went to an electric bike shop I'd run across online before going out. So, like I found a mechanic for my car, I've found a mechanic for my "Lude", until such time I can acquire the tools and know-how to do the work myself (too bad they were already closed when it happened). I'm also thankful, thanks to the help of others in my distress and their directions, that I found another bike shop open at the time. They couldn't work on my scoot, but they were able to air up my tire... the leak appears to be slow, so I was able to make it home without any apparent degradation in pressure, enough so I was able to run an errand before actually returning home. Though, with scoot on the charger, I checked the tire a short bit ago, and it's dead flat again. So, won't be able to ride again till it's fixed. Hope I won't need a new tube. Believe all the trouble started when I ran over some nasty train tracks, but hard to say at present. May have simply let the tires get too low, though they seemed fine. May have picked up something on the side of the road.

All part of the adventure, no doubt.......

Comment

• Roose Hurro
            Roose Hurro commented
            Editing a comment
            Called the bike shop this Sunday (it's technically Monday now), and they have the tool available. And the extension, sealant and anything else I might need (like a new pump, if mine doesn't work with the extension). So it would be wise to just "trunk" my scoot (and pump), drive over, and see if things work there. Then, just see about ordering more tubes, just in case (in future), while I look into collecting the tools necessary for doing the job myself (in the near future, hopefully). At over fifty dollars a pop for a flat-fix, and the hazards of riding where we're forced to ride, I'll definitely need to learn how to do the deed. Even if I need a new pump, and end up spending 50 bucks anyway for this whole deal.

Oh, found this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/CatEye-Om...155-R/31985418 ... looks like a workable tail-light. Holding off on it till I get this whole flat issue solved. Also reset P0 from 10 to 8, so it now tells me I'm 2 miles from work (the correct distance, according to Google), rather than 2.5, though now, rather than peaking at 21mph, my speedo peaks at 16mph... still don't know it that's accurate, with P8 set at 90%. Won't be cranking P8 up to 100% until I'm done conditioning the battery. Also getting used to the modulation of throttle and brakes. Still pretty easy to lock them, but I'm able to throttle well enough, I can avoid the surge when in dual-motor mode. Might make it easier to avoid tube troubles. My Bianchi Milano is a 2002 model (bought new), and I've never had a flat in over 200 miles of riding (shame I haven't been riding it for the last five years... will have to fix that issue, as well).

• scootdawg
            scootdawg commented
            Editing a comment
            I just put on the 3 inch wide tire on my front wheel. The way I did it is: put scooter on center stand, take off the two hub nuts holding on the wheel (ratchet and wrench, maybe a breaker bar) have somewhere raised to set the wheel that's still connected by the wire. Then I took off the rotor, and both sides of the hub (metric Allen keys). I then pressed the axle on a wood block while holding onto the tire to separate. Be careful putting it back together because there is a very strong magnetic effect! I used three dirt bike tire spoons to change the tire (don't buy bicycle tire spoons). It's very easy to pinch the tube when putting the tire back on. I suggest watching some youtube videos on how to change a dirt bike tire. Cool find on the light, and I am definitely going to be needing one of those schrader valve extensions too

• Roose Hurro
            Roose Hurro commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the info, scootdawg . Yep, not exactly the "quick release" you can get on a bicycle wheel. Been there, done that with my previous bike, when it comes to tires and tubes. Never a fun task. Just part of what is. Heh... wonder if the rims can run tubeless. Will just need to make sure I keep the tires fully inflated, to help minimize flats. Stop and walk over the rough stuff. Those small wheels/tires just don't seem to like train tracks! Oh, and I noted there appears to be an adjuster on the rear shock, for spring tension. Would be interesting to look into a proper wrench, so I can play with the adjustment. Doesn't appear to be much travel in the suspension, so giving the rear spring more "slack" might give a bit more "give" in the rear. Something to think about... hope, in future, uprated suspension bits become available! Might help save some tubes.

I just upgrade my rear light to these they work very nice and super bright and stealth looking, can be charge usb to waste your money on battery lights

Attached Files
          Last edited by Touch415; 05-29-2017, 10:06 PM.

Comment

• Roose Hurro
            Roose Hurro commented
            Editing a comment
            The light I'm looking at has up to 120 hours run-time. I don't plan on doing a great deal of night riding, and I prefer having the "instant gratification" of spare batteries at the ready, should I need them. Considering what I'll be saving in gas, a small expense. Looked at a bunch of lights, including USB types, but, for the price, decided the light I'd picked would be the best value... the best-suited to my needs and preferences. YMMV...

Roose Hurro i just purchase some air rear shock, il keep you guys posted, how it rides and feels

Comment

• Roose Hurro
            Roose Hurro commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice. Yes, let us know! Now, all we need is a front upgrade... :)

I'm looking for a front and back upgrade as I've already twisted my front forks. Super interested in this.

Comment

I noticed my front wheel seems offset from the fender. Did I put something together wrong, or is everyone's like this?

Update: I put my wheel back together wrong and this was the result. Valve stem was on the wrong side too.
            Last edited by scootdawg; 08-23-2017, 03:28 PM.

Comment

• Roose Hurro
              Roose Hurro commented
              Editing a comment
              Nope, mine's perfectly centered. It's possible you put something together wrong, though I unfortunately have no idea what. Though, looking at the photo, the disk brake looks way too far out from the tire/rim. Mine doesn't have that much space.

• Lemark
              Lemark commented
              Editing a comment
              Your suspension forks are bent, shifted to the side. Mine are twisted clockwise that's how I know that's the only thing it could be. Been looking for an upgrade but haven't found one yet. Original shocks! https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32771686857.html#autostay and it looks like the dualtron scooter shocks would work as well but haven't confirmed it.
              Last edited by Lemark; 06-02-2017, 05:03 AM.

• scootdawg
              scootdawg commented
              Editing a comment
              I see these scooters aren't listed on the website anymore. Will they ever be offered for sale again? I take it parts and info are going to be hard to find. Thanks for that link to the shocks, but I ordered them and the bolt pattern does not line up... Anyone know what controller, motor, hub, harnesses etc these use? It would be some good info to have.
              Last edited by scootdawg; 08-23-2017, 03:27 PM. Reason: UPDATE

Hey, fellow "Lude" owners... got good news at work today. I'm now, officially, a FULL TIME employee. Funny how the timing works. Buy an "expensive" new mode of transportation, work it into my lifestyle (since I brought it home, I now only use my car for commute duty), and suddenly I now have a reliable, long term ("permanent") and significant increase in my income. Which means I will now be able to afford all the tools/upgrades/mods I might have "need" for. All the gear to get even more use out of my "Lude". Without straining my budget. Since I see no need to change it for the normal necessities, all my extra income will be gravy. Still pray for many years of reliable, durable service.

Biggest upgrade I'd like to find is a seat that fits, so I can sit on longer trips. Not getting any younger!

Comment

• Lemark
              Lemark commented
              Editing a comment
              I wouldn't recommend a seat, the braking and acceleration kinda need a little bit of weight shifting to keep the scooter balanced. You might want something more subdued if your looking for a sit down relaxing ride. scootdawg ya I saw my forks were bent the second time out and plan on giving it a better back shock. Could be my years of sport bike riding but the suspension has some jitters and really don't trust the front forks after I saw them twist up.

• ykick
              ykick commented
              Editing a comment
              Good advice Lemark, thanks. And Roose, 'glad you're enjoying the Apocalypse and sharing the experience!

Scoots are so fun and often convenient but they do suffer practical limitations. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE stand up kick scooters of every size, shape and variety. My moniker is because that’s what brought me into the electric revolution over dozen years ago. I continue to ride and enjoy them of all shapes and sizes to this day.

But as far as criticism the most dangerous thing IMO is wheel size. Simply put, the smaller the wheel the bigger the pothole.

Sometimes a large diameter tire is simply the logical way, to address with leverage, what is a very dangerous situation should you ever drop your front wheel into something big/deep enough to STOP everything in it’s tracks. I’ve got the broken Clavicle to prove it….

Another lesson learned is that if/when I ever got to the point of thinking I need a seat for riding a stand up scooter, it was then probably time to start looking at an eBike.

Several different benefits with an eBike. For starters a converted bicycle normally doesn’t scream “motorized” which can be a problem in some areas. Plus you have both a larger tire diameter (helps the pothole dilemma) as well as a seat and ability to carry more items for errands, etc.

Of course there’s some downsides to eBikes compared to stand up scooters too. But I look at this more as a choice about the right tool for the job rather than a “this is better, no it’s not” type of evaluation/comparison.

• Roose Hurro
              Roose Hurro commented
              Editing a comment
              Thing is, Lemark , Vespa and other small-wheeled scoots have worked quite well with seats. You balance with your butt, rather than your feet/legs. Which is where the expression "By the seat of your pants" came from. And yes, ykick ... it's an experience! And yes, like I mentioned, could be hitting those tracks on little scoot wheels/tires is what lead to my flat issue. Hasn't done any damage to my front end, but definitely something I've been watching out for... and will have to be more careful about. I have been thinking, with my tax returns next year, I might look into a BBSHD kit for my 2002 Bianchi Milano. For something a bit more stable and certainly less "twitchy". With those small wheels and short wheel-base, "response" is very immediate. Hang on! Don't sneeze! And watch out for idiots. Already had my share of those. Will probably have more.

And yes, again, I'm new at this. Don't have a dozen years experience. But I drive a small car, and I know how to read traffic... and I'm keeping my "Lude" set at P1, since that setting is doing me quite well. Already have enough brake-lock issues, at times, without kicking up the speed. Save that for when I'm more experienced, and have a safe place to enjoy that speed (long, straight, smooth, empty road). Would like, someday, to "see what she'll do". Did so with my car, on an empty stretch of highway, years ago. Satisfied, don't feel the need to do it again. But it fulfilled my curiosity (topped out at 107mph, indicated, felt nice and solid).

I do have to agree about the right tool. An e-bike would certainly feel more solid at a higher speed than any stand-up scoot. I've had my Milano up to 31.9mph, according to its computer, though I felt that was pushing it, with rim-brakes. Keep it just under thirty, and it would be ideal. Right in that "28mph" e-bike class (can't remember the number).

Oh, one thing... if I had the seat, I'd have the bracket said seat would fit into. Using a properly sized tube, I could see about fabricating other things to fit that bracket, like a cargo rack hung above the rear wheel/tire. Add a hook to the handle-bar tube, and I'd have a place to secure my grocery bags. At present, I have to get from one market, bring it home, get another bag, go to my other market, get my other stuff, and back home again. First time I went shopping, I actually had to do that three times, to get everything I needed that week. Takes a bit of time. Would be nice to do everything in one trip. Looking at the possibility of running a bike trailer: https://ecorecoscooter.com/product/scooter-cart/ ... well, actually a trailer made for another e-scoot. A bit pricey, but it would certainly be handy, both for shopping and for transporting recyclables. Which is something else I want to do with my "Lude". But at present, like with my grocery shopping, it would take quite a few trips... nice to haul a good sized load all together. More efficient, saves time. Especially given how far the nearest recycle place happens to be. Had one much closer, but they shut it down. Shame.

Would be nice to have 12" wheels/tires. Heh... bigger wheels, bigger motors! Earn big bucks towing broken down cars....... :)

-------
              Last edited by Roose Hurro; 06-04-2017, 12:44 AM.

Roose Hurro my buddy added a cool trail for his shopping needs

Comment

• Roose Hurro
              Roose Hurro commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice one. Exactly the set-up I'm looking for. Some bungie cords and/or netting, and I'd be set. Though the Eco Reco trailer has the benefit of being "sealed". But a trailer like that would work nicely.

Tire's flat again. Will be going to my "scoot mechanic" on Friday, if nothing gets in the way. But I made it a week on Slime! And, hopefully, my extensions will arrive very soon. Already received the tire gage yesterday, and my CatEye tail-light today. Hopefully the extensions come tomorrow, so I can at least ride my scoot in, rather than haul it in my car's trunk. We shall see.......

Comment

My scooter died tonight at 58.8 volts after 10-15 minutes of spirited riding. Now it will not turn on unless it's on the charger, and it dies after unplugging. So it looks like this is the end of the road for me unless I can get it fixed. Had ~120 miles on the odometer (not sure if actual mileage) it was my 5th or 6th charge to 100%. This is the third issue I've had. One being the noise out of the box from the front motor, and two being the wonky front wheel (bent fork?) I only noticed after I changed the tire to the 3 inch one. I think I may have gotten the scooter from this video https://youtu.be/Lf5oR02QaG8 you can hear the sound it makes after 9:19

Update: I ride on!!! Waited a few hours and tried it and it started. Quirky little $#*!s aren't they? Glad it happened in front of my house and not during a zombie apocalypse! haha
              Last edited by scootdawg; 06-17-2017, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Thursday I had my rear tire come part way off the rim. Fixed it, or thought I did, and Friday, came so far off the rim, my tube exploded. Luckily, I'd just gotten off the scoot, and was reaching to turn the tire so I could access the valve when it popped. Ended up with heat exhaustion walking it to my best friend's house along the way... recovered after hydrating and cooling down, very lucky! Need a new tire and tube. Already e-mailed... should fill out a trouble ticket. Keep forgetting about that. But I don't think I'll hear anything till Monday, perhaps. Keeping my fingers crossed I can get this fixed fast. My mechanic says the tire was defective.

Edit: Scoot's been working fantastic, so far. Sorry to hear you're having such issues, scootdawg . And kinda ironic, how my front tire's been no trouble at all through all this. Thursday, I did over 30 miles, down to just a smidge under 50 volts. Probably could have gone 50 miles or better before getting it down to the 43.5 volt cutoff it's presently set at. Kept it set at PL1, very happy with the "fuel economy". Topping out at 18mph with P8 set at 100%, now that I have my battery properly broken in. May bump it up a notch (PL2), and play with P8, so I can bump up to 20-21mph tops, and so I can use the eco/turbo button.
                Last edited by Roose Hurro; 06-18-2017, 12:06 AM.

Comment

• scootdawg
                  scootdawg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The batteries on these are fantastic. I haven't had any tire issues yet (knock on wood). I do keep them at 50 psi and give them a squeeze before each ride to make sure they are still nice and firm.

I believe you got hot. Its triple digit heat everyday this week where I live in California. I don't think I'd want to be pushing a 60 pound scooter with a flat lol

I do most of my ridding in P2 100% power. Strangely I feel it has better acceleration than P3. Also one of the programmable settings P7 gets the scoot up to speed much faster which I like. Try 0 vs 1. I think it may be backwards on the first page of this thread.

• Roose Hurro
                  Roose Hurro commented
                  Editing a comment
                  scootdawg ...

Yeah, I definitely got hot. Mild sunburn, as well. And yes, I heard about it just today at work... haven't seen this many triple-digit days in some time. California native, presently living in Sacramento, yet never before have I experienced heat exhaustion. Guess I've lost my "immunity"... one of the many things I've "lost" from my youth. Oh, I do believe I mentioned using P2 briefly. Acceleration was scary fast. Gotten more comfortable with my "Lude", but not that comfortable, yet. And yes, I'll need to play with settings, as I ride more, to see what works best for me. I'm just happy with the hill-climbing power/torque, no bogging or slowing down. If I want a little boost, I just switch to dual-motor when accelerating... like a kick of nitrous! I've even learned to tell by the sound, as well as feel, whether I'm running single or dual.

Other than my rear tire issues, nothing major. Will most likely be looking to take my "Lude" in for a brake-check... whoever assembled the brakes didn't do that good a job. Right brake works fine, even adjusted to make the brake light work, the left brake lever just doesn't feel... or work... that good. Thought that's probably a good thing. I can still lock the rear, even with how "weak" the left lever is. With one finger, I have better modulation control, but sometimes, it just doesn't feel consistent. Needs a professional look and adjustment, if not a re-do of the cables and adjusters. When I got the scoot, the adjuster on the right lever was all the way out, the left lever, all the way in. So, something's not kosher. But I can still stop, so not an urgent issue.

Oh, one frustrating issue: Apparently, the headset collar and pinch collar set-screws are lock-tighted. Some kind of adhesive. Got the lower one loose, but the pinch collar set screw won't budge. Even my mechanic couldn't get it loose... recommended drilling it out and replacing it. Eric Luna needs to tell whoever makes his scoots to lay off "welding" fasteners so users can't perform maintenance. Given how much it's gonna cost me, with labor at $85 an hour, I don't consider it acceptable. Probably the reason I couldn't get the caliper bolts loose for adjustment, as well. Not good! But I can't fault the scoot for that... it's fantastic, indeed. Does everything I bought it for. Just needs better QC. "Little" things like this matter.

Heh... rant over....... :)

-------
                  Last edited by Roose Hurro; 06-19-2017, 01:04 AM.

Maybe this video can help with the brakes?

Hmm I didn't have that much trouble with the set screws or caliper bolts, but every bolt on this thing felt like it was torqued down by a gorilla! You probably just need more leverage, or if it is thread locker you can try heating the bolt. Did your mechanic strip out the bolt head or just give up?

For less than 1/2 the labor costs you can buy the tools you should need, and then you'll have the them for future adjustments:)

long allen keys

small torch

36/40mm special wrench

and a very big wrench for the head set
                Last edited by scootdawg; 06-20-2017, 09:09 PM.

Comment

• Roose Hurro
                  Roose Hurro commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I thought of using my small torch (yes, I actually have one), but wires/cable come out right over the set screw, so I don't see using flame as wise. Already have wire insulation damage due to the off-rim tire rubbing... brake lights still work. A bit of electrical tape should re-insulate the wires. Could also replace/have them replaced (this would allow possible re-routing). Problem with the brakes is, with both levers adjusted to match in feel, the left adjuster is all the way in, the right, all the way out. And the left brake lever won't reliably activate the brake lights. So, like I said, something wasn't set up right from the start. Also quite a lot of slop in my throttle before it engages, so "trickle-along" to "full-throttle" encompasses a very short movement. So it takes great care to avoid "unintended acceleration" when trying to go slow. Even in P1.

Oh, already got the special wrench that Thursday my tire first came part-way off the rim. All I need are the long Allen keys. And no, didn't strip the head... just couldn't get it to budge... twist-bent my own dollar-store Allen key trying to get it loose, myself. Even his better, longer key couldn't budge it. All I can do is look for a better set, myself, and try again.

Upgraded my rear shock to air ride, oh man it's a nice upgrade compare to the spring shock ... the look is badass and weights much lighter

Comment

• Roose Hurro
                  Roose Hurro commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What length/size? Would like to do some early shopping/research, to see when/what I might be able to upgrade to something like this. Thanks...
              Working...
              X