Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luna Apex Bike - ask us anything

Questions, concerns, thoughts?

Weight as configured? Is this the new BAFANG motor with the torque sensing? Power rating? Cost? Sizing options?

Looks awsome, although aesthetically I'm personally not sold on the fork and have no idea if it works well either.
    Last edited by Kocho; 1 week ago.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it has torque sensor, yes it's the new Bafang motor.
      Not too sure on the rating, though I have heard we will have a special announcement relating to that. Cost depends on how it's configured. This one in the video has a Rohloff so it's super premium but we can do it at a competitive rate without the speedhub.

Production model will be FS with suspension fork.

• Eric Luna
      Eric Luna commented
      Editing a comment
      it comes in 3 different sizes... small medium and large

• scrambler
      scrambler commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Eric Luna
      it comes in 3 different sizes... small medium and large
      More good news, Keep them coming :)

Again, Luna jumps to a whole new level. Wow!

Is that carbon work done in house, or custom outsourced?

How does it feel to ride a 'soft tail'? Only rear suspended. I've never tried that configuration. Great for wheelies and obstacles, I bet? Less so on choppy trails?
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

• Eric Luna
      Eric Luna commented
      Editing a comment
      we are building the molds in house and having most of the carbon work dont out of house but close by... it has both front and rear suspension. The Lauf suspension fork is the latest in technology with no moving parts ... you have to ride it to believe it. Its suitable for all but the most hard core off road riding. we will be offering the bike with other suspension options as wel that are more affordable.

• JPLabs
      JPLabs commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, wow, USA manufacture, right there, that's something to be proud of!

Thanks for explaining the fork, I have some reading to do.

• scrambler
      scrambler commented
      Editing a comment
      This fork is a beautiful piece of engineering.
      Onto reading more to find out if it holds up to its promise.
      Manufacturer video below
      http://www.laufforks.com/just-ride/#LaufLoveVideos

Hi, New here, long time lurker...

Is it the Bafang Max ULTRA drive (1000W / 1600W peak, 160 N.m)?
    http://www.bafang-e.com/en/component...-g33250cb.html

If so, VERY exciting

As an alternative option to the Rohloff, you may also want to have a look at the New NuVinci N380x that will support higher power and torque. It will be presented at Eurobike at the end of the month and launched mid September.
    http://www.nuvincicycling.com/en/products/N380x.html

Looking forward to more details (brakes, throttle, detachable battery pack, suspension, weight, seat tube height...), availability and price !!
    Last edited by scrambler; 1 week ago.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes that's the one.

• Eric Luna
      Eric Luna commented
      Editing a comment
      it is not really an ultra motor but a ultra plus motor built exclusively for Luna by bafang :) more details soon.

• scrambler
      scrambler commented
      Editing a comment
      The plot thickens :)

Hoping that soon, we can buy a kit with this new motor. I am ready to build another great e-bike. Any idea when it will be available? happy motoring, e-rod

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      This particular motor is an OEM motor not a BBSxx, it was not built for a standard bottom bracket shell it needs a special bottom bracket. As such it will not be part of a kit, it requires getting a prebuilt bike.

• xcnick
      xcnick commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder if it would fit a frame built for the Bosch? I also would love to see it paired with the nuvinci harmony system so one could just set the cadence and never have to touch anything.

• scrambler
      scrambler commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by xcnick
      I wonder if it would fit a frame built for the Bosch?
      Highly unlikely, but it would have been a great move from Bafang.
      It would have made any Bosch Ebike upgradable to the Ultra motor, and that would have been sweet indeed...
      I would definitely buy an Apex with the N380x and a Harmony H8 controller :)

thanks for the reply Paxtana. I guess I got overly excited, and missed the priority frame. Any signs on your horizon of a new bbsxx motor with a torque sensor? I have a great donor bike just waiting for one. Happy Motoring e-rob

Comment

• Eric Luna
      Eric Luna commented
      Editing a comment
      to tell you guys from a lot of experience. with both..the torque sensor does not make a big difference at all at these power levels.. in fact can be a huge detriment... we are even thinking about disingaging the torque sensor completely. On a high power bike like this one the torque sensor does not make a lot of sense. Its a marketing gimmick used by the sellers of low power bikes.

• scrambler
      scrambler commented
      Editing a comment
      I would be curious to hear more about this as it is not at all my experience.

Integrated system using a combination of torque / speed and cadence give you an assistance that it proportional to the effort you put in, making you feel just so much stronger, but allowing you to modulate the assist in the most natural way, which is by the effort you apply.
      Cadence only system on the other hand feel like on off system where you have to constantly play with the assist level to get what you want, and for which a throttle is just a lot better.
      This is why I find that bikes which offer a Torque/cadence/speed PAS and a throttle are the best configurations, they give you the best of both worlds depending what you are in the mood for.

Makes me wonder if the torque / cadence / speed sensor combo on the Bafang is not up to par...

If someone has a steel frame a bottom bracket/mount could be fabricated. Aluminum to but it would be more difficult.

Comment

• Eric Luna
      Eric Luna commented
      Editing a comment
      caffee. look into casting tape... you would be amazed at what you could pull off with casting tape and no welding :)

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      That cast tape is like the fiberfix I used on reinforcing my pack. Great stuff.

Would be interested to hear details on the forks.

Comment

• Eric Luna
      Eric Luna commented
      Editing a comment
      this bike will come in 3 fork configurations... google lauf forks to see the ones on the bike now.

Ludicrous controller? Programming at least? How wide a tire? 2xl?

Comment

• e-rod
      e-rod commented
      Editing a comment
      I think that Luna can upgrade these motors with bigger controllers and programing to get 2500W or more out of them. Motors have a listed power output, but are capable of much more. e-rod

• xcnick
      xcnick commented
      Editing a comment
      So how are we getting 2500 watts? new controller? just programming?

• Eric Luna
      Eric Luna commented
      Editing a comment
      This is a motor made specifically for Luna by bafang. no other dealer will have it.

Originally posted by calfee20 View Post
    If someone has a steel frame a bottom bracket/mount could be fabricated. Aluminum to but it would be more difficult.
    You actually don't need to fabricate anything. You can buy the mount, and just need to weld it to the frame
    http://www.bafang-e.com/en/component...n-parts-a.html

Comment

• calfee20
      calfee20 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes but is that piece steel or aluminum?

welding that bracket with rear suspension would be a challenge. Some might work, some not. got me thinking....... I want that motor.

Comment

Good find! I wonder if therr is really much difference b/w the BBSHD and this one, other than the torque sensing? The specs look very similar otherwise. Yup, no more square taper cranks and maybe easier dual front gears or narrower pedal spacing? Have not looked at the specs side by side carefully enough, but same max torque, same noise level, similar weight...

Originally posted by scrambler View Post

You actually don't need to fabricate anything. You can buy the mount, and just need to weld it to the frame

Comment

• scrambler
      scrambler commented
      Editing a comment
      Originally posted by Kocho View Post
      Good find! I wonder if therr is really much difference b/w the BBSHD and this one, other than the torque sensing? The specs look very similar otherwise.
      The power may indeed not be very different (1000W /1600W peak), but for me the key difference is that you get an integrated Torque / speed / cadence sensing Pedal assist like the Bosch, and that is a huge plus in my book.
      For people who enjoy pedaling their bike, I find there is nothing like the feeling provided by these integrated systems compared to basic cadence sensing.

Originally posted by scrambler View Post

It doesn't say but that is probably aluminum. Now can you buy small quantities? Will Luna offer the motors and that bracket? Have to find a real good TIG welder, person that is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	42254

Comment

• Eric Luna
      Eric Luna commented
      Editing a comment
      yes surley we will offer both motor and mounting brackets to builders...

Does it have a throttle?

Comment

• scrambler
      scrambler commented
      Editing a comment
      From the video, I would assume so as she rarely pedals.
      And the Bafang Ultra can definitely have one.

One suggestion if I may :)

A key part of a carbon fiber frame is how well the hi stress and insert areas are made (drop out, head tube, swing arm axis, shock mounts...)

It would be great if at one point you could release a manufacturing video, or sets of pictures showing how these are being made.

Thank you for listening :)

Comment

Working...
    X