No announcement yet.

Luna Apex Bike - ask us anything

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok. can you please tell me the timeframe when the batteries will be available?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, Sorry, we don't have any time frames right now for this particular bike. That's not to say that it's far off, possibly a couple months or so, but we have a lot of frames currently in pending status awaiting battery production ramp up at the moment, so we haven't put up any concrete ETA's to announce yet.

I'm just speaking from what I've heard though. If Paxtana knows anymore about this, he'll chime in but I'm pretty sure that's where were at right now.

Honestly though, in my opinion, if I were you, Although it's a different kind of bike, I'd spend that money towards a Sur-Ron instead. You'll get a much better performance to price ratio and they're practically shipping immediately rather than having to wait.

• jgkolacz
      jgkolacz commented
      Editing a comment
      Buy a Sur Ron? Great Idea, except that I'm 6'3 and I've got a friend with a Sur Ron who get's constantly hassled by the cops because his bike looks too much like a VERY small motorcycle instead of a bicycle. He even has the pedals on it, which barely helps. So yeah, great price on the Sur Ron.. can I get that in something that I can actually use? However, a Luna e-bike is worth the wait- I could buy something from HPC for $13,000 or Norco, or Nikolai, or Specialized if I wanted to compromise on power and battery and spend $10k plus. Or I can continue to wait patiently for a Luna Apollo for the next however long, since I've already been waiting 2 years... If you wanted to, you could be producing as many of these as you could sell for $12k plus... but since profit isn't the primary motivator, we wait. and wait.. and wait. I need to be able to ride on the roads, not spend all my time sitting on the side of the road with a cop harassing me about my illegal kiddie motorcycle that I look like a clown on.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Apollo will be released in the spring.

Yeah I checked out the sur-on, the design and the way it looks it is not for me. apex is definetly what I want..amazing creation guys! I was just curious on the lead times that's all. not gonna haggle you guys like some others (no pun intended to those who did) on this forum. I can definetly wait for a custom badass creation ;) I recently ordered a bbshd kit w/ga Panasonic 52v 24ah and other bunch of goodies from you, so I have something to fill the void for a bit lol. but I want moooore.. hehe. anyways I put my email on the list you guys have for the apex, hopefully everything gets settled and I can order one. also just wanted to say thanks! You guys were awesome in helping me with some issues I had with the kit. I see many negative remarks but also wanted to show some postive things you guys do behind the scenes that not many mention..

-Chris

Comment

So what is the status on the Apex?
      Have production issues ever been solved?
      Has anyone actually taken delivery of a bike and would be willing to make a review? (I cant find a single user review on the web)

If the bike still has a future, I think an honest debrief explaining what the issues have been, and explaining what the roadmap is moving forward would be welcome :)
      Last edited by scrambler; 02-15-2019, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Most have shipped at this point. Here is an example of one client that rode his in the recent 2019 seattle tunnel ride.
        Out of 12,000 bikes he was first across the finish line, pretty neat.

Those 21700 packs ended up being such a drag, we did build some 18650 ones with 21ah capacity in the meantime. We did some substitutions with 18650 upon request for folks that needed it sooner, and those shipped last week. There's a few packs left that are still set to built with 21700 for bike builds and spare packs. We are hoping to get these done soon though. We actually have a ton of Apollo bikes ready to ship right now (basically the non-fat version of Apex) but are holding off making it available until all Apex orders are filled.

Comment

Thank you for the update Paxtana, much appreciated.

Can you share roughly how many Apex are out there, still wondering why no one has posted a review...
          Can you also elaborate on what the problem was with the 21700 cell, for pure technological interest :)

I am also wondering if you guys are in contact with Rohloff to see if they are still planning to release a standalone version of the E-shift that could be sold without the Bosch system?

Great to hear about the Apollo, cant wait to get more details on it, especially the frame sizes and min max saddle height for each frame (assuming there are several sizes).

Comment

• scrambler
            scrambler commented
            Editing a comment
            No Facebook for me unfortunately :)

• HIGHVOLTAGE
            HIGHVOLTAGE commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd definitely recommend checking it out regardless if you're interested in the Apex/Apollo news. Eric will often live stream the shop and show off some of the progress on various projects.

• scrambler
            scrambler commented
            Editing a comment
            From your post I thought the pages would be private.
            I will check it out thanks
            EDIT: It does not look like you can view it without a Facebook account
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/fast...f=group_header

Unfortunately I can not provide numbers, or details on 21700. It's no GA cell I can say that much.

Here's a pic of the Apollo

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-9vkjq73s/products/1574/images/9949/Luna_Apollo_Red-SideA__09673.1524017997.1280.1280.jpg?c=2&_ga=2.161056893.1567254106.1550265421-1421947280.1550265421

Comment

Thanks.
            What about the Rohloff E-shift, is it a "no comment" answer, or you guys have not looked into it (no interest)?

As a potential option for the Apollo, a gates carbon drive with the Rohloff like on the Nicolai below would be nice :)
            https://en.hnf-nicolai.com/ebike/xf2-trail/
            Click image for larger version

Name:	XF2-Trail_Pedelec-2800pxV2-1400x817.png
Views:	1
Size:	542.7 KB
ID:	82853
            Last edited by scrambler; 02-16-2019, 08:52 AM.

Comment

• ncrkd
              ncrkd commented
              Editing a comment
              Gates, in some literature, still says that you can't back bend the belts (such as https://www.gatescarbondrive.com/res...ng-and-tension), but this very bike model was in their Interbike booth (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huP_J7p3H0k, 12 minute point). The rep stated the system on this bike was "cutting edge".

• scrambler
              scrambler commented
              Editing a comment
              I think Gates has resisted making it official as they would rather not have to support it.
              But Riese and muller which is a large ebike manufacturer has worked with them, and they do not put anything on their bikes, unless they are 100% sure it will work reliably.
              I also spoke with Gates a while back and they told me that they were actually thinking of providing an official tensioner for that type of application.

• calfee20
              calfee20 commented
              Editing a comment
              Well that opens up a lot of possibilities.
          Working...
          X