No announcement yet.

Luna Apex Bike - ask us anything

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone get a shipping confirmation this week?

Comment

• Sebz
      Sebz commented
      Editing a comment
      Not yet, but very soon!

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Eric said they were test ridden today, some of them at least.

I ordered 3 months ago on Dec 20th. Will mine be in the upcoming shipment?

Comment

Happy to say a few of the first bikes have shipped today, and looks like we'll be getting more out soon.

MMA Wiz Not too sure but now that we are shipping that's a good step in the right direction. There are more than a few bikes ahead of yours in the queue but not overwhelmingly so.

Comment

• MMA Wiz
        MMA Wiz commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the update.

Are any more bikes going to be shipped this week?

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, they are..

Sweet. Thanks for the update.

Comment

Just got my shipping notification. Due to arrive on Wednesday!

Comment

• FatMo
          FatMo commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep same here. I'll try not to crash the FedEx website by checking for shipping updates every 3 seconds...

I'm still in the waiting mode but looking forward to your early review....

Comment

How about the Meanwell AC inverter, is that ever going to be back in stock? If not was it just an unmodified Meanwell 48v AC inverter? Or did Luna modify a stock Meanwell TS-400? Thanks.

Comment

• paxtana
            paxtana commented
            Editing a comment
            We found that the inverter did not have enough long term reliability to meet our standards. Maybe one day they will improve things, I don't know. Until then we are keeping our eyes peeled for a better supplier.

Just picked mine up from FedEx and charging it now. Holy sheet its sleek AF. Will give some early impressions sometime this weekend.

Comment

• calfee20
            calfee20 commented
            Editing a comment
            Pictures or it didn't happen.

• robo21
            robo21 commented
            Editing a comment
            Eagerly awaiting your impressions FatMo, can't wait to get mine. The anticipation is driving me nuts which is a short trip anyway.

Got mine just now. On the charger. Will post impressions in a day or 2.....

Comment

Is it just me, or did the base price increase around $400 recently? I could swear the website used to have it listed at $54xx instead of $58xx, no? Did something change?

Comment

• paxtana
              paxtana commented
              Editing a comment
              5400 is base price with the 14ah battery. Maybe default option was switched to the upgrade version. Smaller pack is still available if you prefer.

Took it for a couple short rides. I ordered a medium with Ludicrous upgrade, Carbon Rholoff package and Lauff. Just under 8k. No documentation or directions came with it. I see 2 modes, Eco, where the screen is green, and Sport, where the screen is red. Both modes have 5 levels of assist. If you hold the + button it switches into sport mode. The top speed in any of the modes is around 31mph on flat. A slight incline reduces speed to around 24mph. This is nowhere near the stated 40mph and seems to lack power and torque. Is there another setting for a ludicrous mode? The screen shows 0-1500 watts and 30.4 mph top speed whether in Eco or Sport mode. I'm hoping that there is a setting to change and get the stated top speed and power as advertised. Please advise!

Comment

• paxtana
              paxtana commented
              Editing a comment
              Make sure you have the right wheel size set in the display and that you are shifting into highest gear on the flats.

• MMA Wiz
              MMA Wiz commented
              Editing a comment
              Paxtana, wouldn't the correct wheel size already be selected given it was programed and tested by Luna before it was sent? Anyway, I checked with a GPS Speedometer on my smart phone and they are within 2 mph of each other. Hoping I can get some answers to my other questions. It really seems like it didn't get the Ludicrous upgrade. I'm in the highest gear (14) and Sport setting with #5 highest setting and It is very slow, top speed down a minor incline is 32 mph, going up a very slight incline reduces speed to 24mph. I hope this is a setting issue, I'm holding back my current dissapointment for now in hopes to hear good news.

• robo21
              robo21 commented
              Editing a comment
              That definitely does not sound right, I was lucky enough to get a test ride back in November and it seemed to have more torque than my Ludicrous powered 4 Seasons 3000. I hope this is just a simple matter of getting the settings dialed in. Although I would think that the correct wheel size would have been set before shipping. That was the case on my first Luna bike. It came all set up. It doesn't hurt to verify settings in cases like this though. It's always best to look at the easy fixes first. I think that's what paxtana was aiming to do, makes sense to check settings. Good luck! Keep us posted.

Originally posted by MMA Wiz View Post
            Took it for a couple short rides. I ordered a medium with Ludicrous upgrade, Carbon Rholoff package and Lauff. Just under 8k. No documentation or directions came with it. I see 2 modes, Eco, where the screen is green, and Sport, where the screen is red. Both modes have 5 levels of assist. If you hold the + button it switches into sport mode. The top speed in any of the modes is around 31mph on flat. A slight incline reduces speed to around 24mph. This is nowhere near the stated 40mph and seems to lack power and torque. Is there another setting for a ludicrous mode? The screen shows 0-1500 watts and 30.4 mph top speed whether in Eco or Sport mode. I'm hoping that there is a setting to change and get the stated top speed and power as advertised. Please advise!
            Wiz, you didn't mention how you liked the Rholoff? How it shifts? under load? I also ordered the Lauff forks. How do you like it? does it handle uneven terrain, bumps as you expected? are you happy you ordered the Apex with the Lauff or would you have preferred another option? How is the fit and finish, attention to detail? I'm a little let down by your initial review, hope you get the answers to your concerns especially the power, torque and the ludicrous mode.
            Last edited by NorCal; 03-24-2018, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• thebootfitter
              thebootfitter commented
              Editing a comment
              For what it's worth...

I don't have an Apex (though I'd love to find a way to justify getting one), but I do have a few weeks now using a Rohloff with a stock BBSHD. My experience may be of some value here. You make the call.

What I love? Super smooth shifting and a wide range. Wider than I probably need as a commuter with a BBSHD, even in hilly Seattle. I love being able to drop to a lower gear after a stop without having to pedal and be ready to go right away in a lower gear without the clanking of a chain over a few gears.

What I don't like as much? I'm still getting used to it. It definitely has different gear ratios, and I'm sure it's just my imagination, but I feel a bit less efficient with it. I feel like I need to start off in a lower gear to avoid stressing the system, and I don't feel like I can get as much speed in the lower gears before having to shift and lose a little momentum. Even with a gear sensor, I have stopped pedaling before I shift to avoid shifting under load. That may not be necessary with the gear sensor installed, and I'll probably figure it out eventually, but I'm somewhat cautious with a new piece of gear that was over $1000. I have been in between gears somehow a couple of times and felt a little resistance. Not grinding, but like something was stuck, so I have stopped pedaling then too.

I also have experienced the motor cutting out nearly every time a second or two after shifting and when going over bumps. Sometimes it cuts out randomly for a half second or so. That's likely a separate issue related to the gear sensor and not related to the Rohloff, but it's definitely new since installing the Rohloff. (I had the gear sensor before the Rohloff too.)

Would I get the Rohloff on the Apex if I were to order one? Almost certainly. It is really smooth overall. I'm pretty sure I just need to spend more time getting used to it.

• NorCal
              NorCal commented
              Editing a comment
              thanks for your feedback bootfitter, it was very helpful...

• thebootfitter
              thebootfitter commented
              Editing a comment
              A quick follow up to my Rohloff comments: Around the same time my hub was installed, I also had a new controller installed that had a connection for lights. Unfortunately, I discovered that the controller my LBS installed only allowed a max of 25 amps -- which is what caused my perception of "less efficiency." I have since put the old 30A controller back in, and it runs like a dream with the Rohloff. Absolutely love it! (Though still sometimes get the drop in power a second after shifting.)

The display shows the speed in the middle and the watts on the right side. The Watts say 0-1500 in Eco mode. When you hold down the plus button it switches to Sport mode. Is Sport mode the 2500 watt Ludicrous mode? When I change to Sport mode the watt display still reads 0-1500. Shouldn't it say 0-2500 in Ludicrous mode?

Comment

• JPLabs
              JPLabs commented
              Editing a comment
              Remember, ludicrous fools the controller into delivering double current. The controller still shoes stock current levels, not double. Unless Apex is different than my BBSHD, in that regard.

So, it should show only 1500 watts, right?

I don't know, just pointing it out.

Soft tires, headwind, and full charge are 3 other things I'd rule out, before swapping a motor, personally. If you haven't...I know that's basic, no offense...

E-bikes can only hit Max speed at Max pack voltage. As that drops, so does Max RPM, proportionally..
              Last edited by JPLabs; 03-28-2018, 01:20 PM.

• MMA Wiz
              MMA Wiz commented
              Editing a comment
              Battery was fully charged, tires were at the right pressure, no headwind. Not really a reasonable or workable option for me to do a motor swap myself right now so will see what else can be worked out with Luna to get the brand new $8000 Apex bike as advertised and very patiently and frustratingly waiting on.... I'm communicating with Luna staff via email now and will see how they want to resolve it. Thanks for the input.

• JPLabs
              JPLabs commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I figured you'd probably already considered those things, but that it can't hurt to confirm. Thanks for the reply, and for not being offended that I asked; carry on.

BTW, I see I was partly redundant in my prior comment, I didn't realize there were hidden comments, sorry.

I am finding this thread fascinating. The feel of an ebike, the speed and power/acceleration is such a personal thing that it is hard to quantify. I remember back in the late sixties' and early seventies no one could duplicate the 1/4 mile drag times for any of the top road motorcycles that the test magazines published. Well it turned out they always used a rider named "PeeWee Gleason". He was real talented at getting great 1/4 mile times plus he only weighed 98 pounds if memory serves................calfee

Comment

Working...
            X