No announcement yet.

Luna Apex Bike - ask us anything

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are no runarounds being given. That sort of implies that we're withholding it from you for some reason? These things just take time and unfortunately it's a very busy season and so we're trying to get as many things accomplished at once with very limited staff we have.

Comment

I now see on Luna's website the Apex is listed in Pending "These models will be available again pending ramping up battery production." Does this include pending order?? When can we expect pending to start shipping?? The lack of communication is unfair to your customers who have place deposits.

Comment

This does not include pending orders. It is only for future orders.

We simply did not feel it was a good customer experience for folks to wait so long before bikes to be made to order. This is a little premature since we haven't put out any sort of announcement yet but the general idea is that we will essentially be shipping all bikes with a low minimum lead time instead of several weeks.

Obviously for any pending order this will be prioritized, especially given that we have essentially lowered our pending work load. That's not to say that we would not offer full refund for any apex orders that are pending, we are fine with offering that. This is simply a way to optimize order fulfillment going forward.

Comment

thanks for the explanation, it make customers with pending order no doubt feel better. Still would like to know when pending order will start shipping again?

Comment

You are totally giving the run around. Originally quoted for 4 weeks after the fifth week I checked in and you said problem with the forks, so I said OK change to the inverted forks. waited another two weeks then you said it was a cause a problem with the battery production. And that would take an additional week or so to correct.. that was two weeks ago now 9 in total. now you’re stating that it’s because of the spring time rush. this is the exact definition of run around. There alot of people complaining about this company recently, I’ve read every single post here and every single review and clearly I’m not the only one that feels this way. I tried to have patience understanding that this is a custom made quality bike but your guys haveing attitude about your shortcomings just makes it look worse on your part. Just apologize and correct it. don’t get snappy with me because I’m calling out your BS nighvoltage !!! This is a thousands of dollars expense that people need to budget for and have put deposits for, Remember that.
            You’re basically calling me a liar high-voltage. I don’t work for flx bike, I have no reason to make false accusations. If I as a customer feel like I’m getting the runaround then respect that. I would’ve waited another few weeks but your remark is why I canceled my order resulting in a $7000 loss for your Company, not to mention all the other potential sales they could’ve came from my recommendations.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
              HIGHVOLTAGE commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm just telling you what's happening and why it's happening. Nobody was calling you a liar. These things take time. We're not withholding them for no reason(why would we do that?). We're actively trying to get these out as soon as possible with the resources we have. They're being individually built and waiting on the batteries to be finished. That is just a fact, not a run-around.

If you can't find a more respectful way to to get your point across here then I'm going to give you a warning. Please tone it down.
              Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 06-15-2018, 06:40 PM.

OK, I understand your waiting on the batteries to be finished but, why can't I get an answer to my question... when will pending order start shipping again? I just want a ball park when I should expect delivery.

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
              HIGHVOLTAGE commented
              Editing a comment
              We don't have a ball park right now otherwise we'd give it to you. I mean, it's not going to take until the end of the year or anything but we're hoping to have everything caught up and out hopefully before the Summer season ends. We're just relaying what the builders have told us which is that the batteries are still being prepared. Email support isn't involved with assembly in anyway. We're just here to answer your questions and provide answers with the information we have.
              Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 06-15-2018, 08:39 PM.

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
            As far as I am aware it does not come with a stand right now, however we have been working with a great machinist (actually one of our forum members) who has built a custom solution that will be going on all of our bikes in the future. Quite an elegant and original solution that I think folks will be very pleased with.

Currently it is in production and I am hopeful we can make this available within the next couple weeks, although 3 weeks is probably more realistic. Not sure if it will be ready by the time your order is ready but we can send you one once it is available. Any Apex buyer that has already received the bike can also contact us for one and we will ship it out once available (this free stand only applies to Apex buyers, though we will be selling the stand separately for use on other bikes as well)
            paxtana. Since the Apex has been delayed, I was wondering how the production of the kick stand for the Apex was going????

Comment

They just arrived today actually. I still need to get out the lightbox and do some product shots, make an inventory control listing, shoot a YouTube video for instructions, convert the url to a QR code and decide the best way to affix a hundred QR codes to bags.

The stands are great though, just tested on both quick release and thru axle and it's very sturdy even on a bike that weighs 100 lbs. Machinist even powder coated them to make it look nice as well as several other design upgrades, I am very impressed with it. So hard to find shops that go the extra mile, really lucked out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180705_204830.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.23 MB
ID:	68668

Comment

several months have passed without an update on the progress on the Apex battery. When can we expect to start receiving deliveries on this bike??

Comment

• paxtana
                  paxtana commented
                  Editing a comment
                  About half have shipped, no idea about the rest. You may want to ask Eric directly.

Hopefully, you can't rush perfection but this sounds a lot like the juiced forum on EBR, j.s.

Comment

I have done a lot reading and then more reading of this Forum. I want to order the Apex but how can I. I can't understand why Luna is so silent, their communication to their customers is horrendous. Why can't Luna be honest and provide updates. You say half of the Apex have been shipped.......were they shipped with the 28ah battery packs? Are their other problems other than waiting for the batteries? People are shelling out $6,000 to $7,000 per Apex and Luna acts like they don't care. Your shipping the Wolf Pak......what's the problem?? Wonder how many Apex orders have been cancelled?

Zion vents his frustration with Luna with all the delays and for this you give him a warning. Seems a little ridiculous to me. He was not out of line just frustrated with all the delays and lack of communication. Seems to me Luna had better get their poop together or they'll be loosing a lot more business.

Comment

Wow that's a little hostile don't you think?

If you think it's so easy to build a custom made carbon fiber bike frame, custom wirebonded battery, with different custom options on each build, then why not buy the Ultra motor and build it yourself?

Bottom line, manufacturing stuff is hard. We are working on it and indeed the owner of our company provided a half-hour long livestreamed update on the fast electric bikes facebook group few days ago. That does not mean we are taking Apex orders again immediately though, and honestly if you are accusing us of 'acting like we don't care' then I'm not sure we want your order. We DO care, and we work our asses off building cool stuff every day for the ebike scene. As well as constantly trying to hire more people to help speed production, that is why the top post on our announcements section for two years running is that we are hiring.

In the span of two years we went from:
                    1. Selling only kits
                    2. To a side business of conversions for locals in Los Angeles only,
                    3. To shipping pre-converted ebikes built from kits,
                    4. To building and shipping some bikes made with our own high end frames and cutting edge batteries made in the USA.

Granted it is true we need to ramp up production, but it is a stunning accomplishment we were able to do this at all. We chose to take the time to redesign the pack for greater durability with this production run, as well as a couple minor changes. I am not getting into those numbers or details. Likely future production will go back to 18650 cells as the slow supply chain for 21700 cells was another reason for delays.

Basically all bicycle production in the world is done in China, and while people like to be down on the Chinese for shoddy quality, the fact is they have had many decades to hone their craft at building bikes quickly because all the factories moved there long ago. Here in Los Angeles we have none of that, we are starting from the ground up, so obviously we have some catching up to do, especially with speeding up a battery production process that is only done at one other company (Tesla). That said, we have shipped some Apex, we have another production run of the battery packs being worked on, and we have several other models ready to ship using Wolf. https://lunacycle.com/ready-to-ship/

For those reading this post, please do not take this as an invitation to argue (that includes any of my colleagues that are reading this).
                    I get that this is an AMA so various questions are understandable but ETA questions are not really what we had in mind.
                    Yes, there are a few pending Apex orders, which can be fully refunded at any time if those people so choose.

..on a brighter note, the custom stand I mentioned earlier that will be shipped with the Apex is now stocked.
                    Here's the listing for reference, turned out very nicely: https://lunacycle.com/peg-leg-detachable-kickstand/

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
                      Wow that's a little hostile don't you think?

If you think it's so easy to build a custom made carbon fiber bike frame, custom wirebonded battery, with different custom options on each build, then why not buy the Ultra motor and build it yourself?

Bottom line, manufacturing stuff is hard. We are working on it and indeed the owner of our company provided a half-hour long livestreamed update on the fast electric bikes facebook group few days ago. That does not mean we are taking Apex orders again immediately though, and honestly if you are accusing us of 'acting like we don't care' then I'm not sure we want your order. We DO care, and we work our asses off building cool stuff every day for the ebike scene. As well as constantly trying to hire more people to help speed production, that is why the top post on our announcements section for two years running is that we are hiring.

In the span of two years we went from:
                      1. Selling only kits
                      2. To a side business of conversions for locals in Los Angeles only,
                      3. To shipping pre-converted ebikes built from kits,
                      4. To building and shipping some bikes made with our own high end frames and cutting edge batteries made in the USA.

Granted it is true we need to ramp up production, but it is a stunning accomplishment we were able to do this at all. We chose to take the time to redesign the pack for greater durability with this production run, as well as a couple minor changes. I am not getting into those numbers or details. Likely future production will go back to 18650 cells as the slow supply chain for 21700 cells was another reason for delays.

Basically all bicycle production in the world is done in China, and while people like to be down on the Chinese for shoddy quality, the fact is they have had many decades to hone their craft at building bikes quickly because all the factories moved there long ago. Here in Los Angeles we have none of that, we are starting from the ground up, so obviously we have some catching up to do, especially with speeding up a battery production process that is only done at one other company (Tesla). That said, we have shipped some Apex, we have another production run of the battery packs being worked on, and we have several other models ready to ship using Wolf. https://lunacycle.com/ready-to-ship/

For those reading this post, please do not take this as an invitation to argue (that includes any of my colleagues that are reading this).
                      I get that this is an AMA so various questions are understandable but ETA questions are not really what we had in mind.
                      Yes, there are a few pending Apex orders, which can be fully refunded at any time if those people so choose.

..on a brighter note, the custom stand I mentioned earlier that will be shipped with the Apex is now stocked.
                      Here's the listing for reference, turned out very nicely: https://lunacycle.com/peg-leg-detachable-kickstand/
                      Well said!
                      IMO, it's a privilege to have access to a builder, to get a bike like the Apex. It is not a mass produced bike and it's not simple or easy. As far as the waiting, some potential buyers are willing to wait, some not. Most won't like or understand the reasons for unexpected delays, or think it's worth waiting if they don't have a firm ETA, clearly. it's almost TOO easy to get on the list, now.

Perhaps Luna should dole out orders more slowly, make the bike even more exclusive, NOT so easy to buy. So the buyer feels privileged to have one built, instead of entitled to complain it's not a fast enough process.

It's great you allow cancellation, and I think that's a fair compensation for uncertain timing.. And kind of unusual for a custom vehicle order, I think...

I mean NO disrespect to any potential buyers who are unhappy with the timeline and info, nothing wrong with preferring a more 'click and buy' experience, and communicating to other potential buyers that timing is uncertain. But, I think it's important to do so objectively.
                      Last edited by JPLabs; 09-04-2018, 08:05 AM.
                      Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Originally posted by JPLabs View Post

Well said!
                        IMO, it's a privilege to have access to a builder, to get a bike like the Apex. It is not a mass produced bike and it's not simple or easy. As far as the waiting, some potential buyers are willing to wait, some not. Most won't like or understand the reasons for unexpected delays, or think it's worth waiting if they don't have a firm ETA, clearly. it's almost TOO easy to get on the list, now.

Perhaps Luna should dole out orders more slowly, make the bike even more exclusive, NOT so easy to buy. So the buyer feels privileged to have one built, instead of entitled to complain it's not a fast enough process.

It's great you allow cancellation, and I think that's a fair compensation for uncertain timing.. And kind of unusual for a custom vehicle order, I think...

I mean NO disrespect to any potential buyers who are unhappy with the timeline and info, nothing wrong with preferring a more 'click and buy' experience, and communicating to other potential buyers that timing is uncertain. But, I think it's important to do so objectively.

Great posts Paxtana & JPLabs, while some may think it unusual to consider access to a builder and these bikes "a privilege," I have to agree with you. I was fortunate enough to spend some time with Eric when he gave me a tour of the shop and test rides of both the Apex and the Apollo in November of 2017. I had already been waiting for months for my bike. It was a pleasure to meet Eric and I was able to gain some insight into the challenges involved in developing bicycles that meet Luna's high standards prior to being released.

I waited for what seemed like an eternity to take delivery of my Apex. I sold my 4 Seasons 3000 in June 2017 I believe, put my deposit down on the Apex shortly thereafter and didn't take delivery until April of this year. I was glad that the production team took the time to get any issues worked out prior to the release. I was offered the option to get my deposit refunded if I so desired - no way! I wasn't about to give up my place in line for this amazing bike. It is a privilege to ride the flagship Luna bike, heck, any Luna bike. My 4 Seasons 3000 was outstanding also but I really wanted full suspension.

I can understand how frustrating it might be for those waiting to take delivery, I've been there. With limited staff, management has to decide whether to allocate that staff toward updating customers on the build process or keep the staff working on production and answer questions as they come in. And it's difficult when delays overlap and get extended. But for those who exercise the patience, you will be rewarded with a bike well worth the wait. There is no doubt about it. Thanks to Eric and Team Luna, I am very glad I didn't give up.
                        Last edited by robo21; 09-05-2018, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Thinking about purchasing the apex... whats a realistic timeframe from ordering to delivery?

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
                            HIGHVOLTAGE commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The Apex is actually not available for ordering right now due to production being delayed. It will be available again once battery production ramps up.
                        Working...
                        X